New to myfitnesspal...looking for some friends...

Options
Hi all... I am new to myfitnesspal and just looking for some friendly support. My name is Beth- I am 27, diagnosed with severe depression & anxiety since a young age, newly married, size 16, stepmother, and mother to a beautiful pug :) My weight has always been an issue for me, basically because of the sedentary lifestyle I choose to live. I am also a picky eater and binge eater. I know that if I did some working out and cutting of calories, I would see progress...but for some reason...I can't find it with myself to take charge. Just like everyone else...I work full time, run my household...and by the time I get home from work and take care of business, all I want to do is lay down. I am notorious for "Okay, Beth- you'll start Monday and this time will be different"...but it never is. I need a stepping stone...I feel guilty because my Mom is fighting cancer right now and I know she would love to see me lose some weight...why isn't that good enough? Any advice from anyone?

Replies

• trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Greetings, you can feel free to add me. Not much advice, but I log daily and love working out!
  • BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth. I'm Beth as well. Log on, every day, if for nothing else then for some encouragement. Other than that the only advice I have is go easy on yourself. Changing your lifestyle is much harder than dropping weight. Consider every extra glass of water you drink, every full night of sleep you get, every small healthy choice you make a victory. Good luck! And I'll be here cheering you on!
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    FR sent! You are on the right path here! :drinker:
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent.. i don't have any advice other than log on everyday.. i like to come on here daily to see how everyone is doing and that helps motivate me
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the steps to better health!
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey Beth, I'm Dave. As far as your motivation goes, you have to want to do it for you, because you want to. You won't do it for anyone else and succeed and make it stick. It's not a diet, it's permanent changes that you choose to make every day. I've been on here a while and I'm still fairly new to adding friends. Anyone can feel free to add me if you like. I'm not going to scrutinize your food choices in your diary, but I do give support and encourage my friends when they make progress and make goals and give advice from my own personal experience. Good luck, I hope you commit to making a healthier you!
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I am on here daily-and I try to stay active on mfp=so feel free to add me-welcome abord-hope you have a great healthy journey in this wonderful lifestyle of healthy living:smile:
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Hey Beth...Tryxxie here! I would love to add you to my friends' list. I love motivating & supporting people. Also, I am in charge of setting up a new challenge everyone month for people who would like to join.

If you would like to be part of one, let me know. But even if you don't, I'd love to have you on board.

Tryxx :flowerforyou:
  • AnyaJade77
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the response! I wasn't expecting it!
  • prima073
    prima073 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth,

Been down the depression road myself. Feel free to add me! I'm on here daily. :-)
  • saragatch
    saragatch Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey Beth! I am in the same boat as you, I will be honest I am a size 16 also, lazy, I sit down all day at my job, I love carbs and burritos and I would rather lay around and watch Netflix then anything else (haha). But recently I have put on much more weight then I ever have. My boyfriend and I decided together to change our fitness lifestyle. He is bulking up and I am bulking down. I am really busy with work and life etc but I have been trying to go to the gym or do Zumba at home every single day even if it is only for 30 mins. I know that sounds like a lot out of your busy day but really coming home 30 minutes later (as long as you don't have obligations; kids, pets etc that require you to get home ASAP) coming home that 30 mins later after a couple days doesn't feel like anything. And I have found I feel great after working out, I am happier and when I step on that scale even if it is just 3 pounds I have lost, it is the biggest 3 pounds ever!

Good luck!! Everyone else in the world can have their dream body why can't we?! I will encourage you every step of the way!
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth. Feel free to add me for support! My advice is to try being consistent...I've noticed in the 3 yrs. I've been on this site that when I'm consistent w/ my logging and working out at least 5 times a week (even if it's just a 30 min. walk) that's when I can lose weight. Also don't get discouraged...losing weight takes time. To lose in a healthy way and to have a better chance of keeping it off~ you'll probably only lose 1-2 lbs. a week, but the way I look at it is it's better than gaining weight if you weren't on here and working on your healthy lifestyle! Good luck!! You can do it!! :happy:
  • cfl68
    cfl68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. That's the best thing I can tell you. Set small goals and allow your self to celebrate them often. The encouragement of others will only help if you are encouraging yourself.
    W.r.t. "I'll start Monday" OMG, I was notorious for that. Then of course Monday came and went as I found other reasons not to do it. Start simple, start today.

"Best time to get something done was yesterday. 2nd best time is today" U GOT THIS!!!!

FR sent.

GL
  • katlaf23
    katlaf23 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi, I'm also suffering from anxiety and depression and will definitely add you. I'm trying to get in shape to feel good inside and out and would love new friends to encourage me to eat well and exercise. I will return the encouragement as well :)
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jackie, 37 years old and I just started my journey about 5 months ago. I'm sure many will agree with me that something has to click within you that makes you fully committed to changing your life and literally puts a hard stop on ALL the excuses. I know it's cliche and you hear it a MILLION times but this is seriously a lifestyle change. People say it all the time but they don't necessarily explain what that really means so here it goes:

Lifestyle by definition (using free online dictionary lol) is a set of attitudes, habits, or possessions associated with a particular person or group. This means that changing your lifestyle means a change in your attitude and habits. Also, it means you live, eat and breathe it. Every notice how those "annoying fit" people talk about the gym and the healthy stuff they eat all the time. I'm of those people and we do that because we LIVE it, day in and day out. We're CONSTANTLY thinking about it. There's no rest from it that's why I don't really believe in cheat days because people who really live this lifestyle can't shut it off for a day. Doesn't mean I don't slip. I always say that it's a lifestyle change but life is never perfect.

So here's my point (finally)....unless you are REALLY REALLY ready and that click happens in your brain, you will start and stop this process a thousand times. Think about what you want and whether or not you feel like you deserve to have everything you want. You can force the click to happen by doing some serious self-evaluation and then making that decision that NO MATTER WHAT...you are important and deserving of a better life.

Hope this helps you...or anyone :happy: It's not easy but I swear to you it's worth it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Those who are not ready for change find excuses, those who are ready find ways to make it happen. Are you ready?

Motivation comes from within. You have to do it because YOU want to for reasons that make sense to YOU.

Start small and don't over complicate it. Change one thing at a time and be patient.

Educate yourself so you are not just spinning your wheels on crazy ideas. You can start by READING THESE:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • jaebm
    jaebm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I sent you a FR. I am new to mfp and would love for others to add me so I can be motivated by your posts and hopefully inspire others on my journey to fitness!
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth! Megan here. Feel free to add me. Been at this for over 2 yrs now and am in it for the long haul. I have had success and failures. It is not easy and if has to be for you and not for anyone else. I log in every day and log all my food and exercise. I am not perfect by any means but I try to be the best I can be.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    hi all congrats on what youve accomplished so far and good luck as you continue..

feel free to add me..im always happy to make new freinds
  • kezwbatay
    kezwbatay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    FR sent...I too log daily and also have a pug 'fur baby'. Surprises me how many calories I burn just by taking him for his walks!