Healthy food ideas?

Options
Do you know any healthy, easy but filling recipes? Especially lunch ideas that you can take to work/school? I normally just take a sandwich but it gets boring and the high calories means i don't like to bring any snacks.

Extra question: Whats your favorite sweet recipe that has a low amount of calories

Replies

• tjhart69
    tjhart69 Posts: 1
    Options
    My lunch at work often consists of a Healthy choice Cafe steamer meal (several to choose from, and many under 200 calories) and 1/2 cup cottage cheese covered with 1/4 cup strawberries sliced with 1 tsp splenda (100 calories for the strawberries and cottage cheese). The cottage cheese and strawberries is one of my go to snacks when I get tired of greek yogurt and it is remarkably filling for 100 calories and has a creamy sweet taste that helps curb my sweet cravings. The total lunch is under 300 calories which is important to me since I am trying to stick to 1200 calories a day with 3 meals and 2 snacks. Alternately, I do eat dannon light and fit greek yogurt instead of the cottage cheese. Another option I recently tried was 1 cup of spaghetti squash with your choice of sauce (I used a red sauce) and your choice of meat (chicken breast is my choice). This can easily be prepared the night before and is a low calorie lunch option. I often buy a large spaghetti squash and roast it, divide it into portions and freeze them for quick meals. It works great since the rest of my family is not dieting and I can serve the kids and hubby real pasta and not have a lot of extra work to make my food.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hummus with bell peppers and tomatoes. I make my own hummus, so no preservatives.
    Stef.
  • aerowe1990
    aerowe1990 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also looking for healthier recipes to take to work.

I sometimes make a whole pot of pasta on the weekends and split it up into portions for the week. I need to get back to making a salad to go with my lunch no matter what the main dish is.

Soup isn't a bad thing to make for the week and bring in small portions either. I have a really easy recipe for veggie chowder:

1/4 fresh onion
    1 cup potatoes, diced (I use frozen hashbrowns)
    1/3 cup of vegetable oil (you can substitute this with something healthier)
    8 cups of chicken broth
    1 package of mixed veggies (I use frozen)
    Bring it to a boil and add creamer or instant mashed potatos to thicken

But if I eat that for a whole week straight, I get tired of it, so you could always try freezing it.
  • healthyfoodfitblr
    healthyfoodfitblr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you, i'll give this a try! :)
  • healthyfoodfitblr
    healthyfoodfitblr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mmm sounds good, i love soup, thanks for the recipe!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Most days I take leftovers from the night before............

Sometimes I take the meat that we had for supper and put it over salad fixin's.