What's your sweetener?

Options
I don't use it often (maybe once a week) but my go to sweetener used to be honey! I only use it in tea , oatmeal, and Greek yogurt....

At my last visit my doctor told me stevia is the only sweetener I should use while I'm losing weight. I didn't really understand his reasoning and never even bought some... Thoughts?!

Also... My dentist recommended I added some xylitol to my diet to help with some teeth problems I'm having. I love it. My teeth feel cleaner. It's natural, comes from a birch tree and is an easy substitute for regular sugar. Has anyone used it? Couldn't find much here about it.

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Regular sugar
  • LizaGetz
    LizaGetz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The reason your doctor said to use stevia is because the carbohydrates in it come from Erythritol - a sugar alcohol that passes through your system mostly undigested. Since the body doesn't break it down, you don't get energy/calories from it. There are a number of different sugar alcohols (FYI, they're also called polyols) that manufacturers use in reduced-calorie and low-sugar food products, and each one has a slightly different digestibility, calorie count, & impact on your blood sugar & metabolism. Unfortunately, the labeling laws in the US allow companies to label sugar alcohols as calorie-free, even though some are partially digestible and therefore technically contain as many as 3 kilocalories per gram.

Might've been TMI or too technical, but it's info I got off a thread on ChowHound about sweeteners, Truvia, Stevia, etc. Did that make any sense?

I stopped using sugar in my coffee, and for my oatmeal, I use ground cinnamon and strawberries. Haven't heard about xylitol...
  • dizzyupdreams
    dizzyupdreams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love Stevia.
  • westwifey
    Options
    The only natural "no-calorie" sweeteners I'm familiar with are stevia, erythritol and monkfruit, I've used stevia and the powdered monkfruit in a myriad of foods, and am not a huge fan of either for the taste, though they are at least "decent." I've read some good reviews about erythritol but haven't tried it yet - supposedly it's good for baking. My personal preference is palm sugar, honey or agave - all are less processed than traditional granulated sugar and will cause a slightly less drastic spike in blood sugar. However, being diabetic and trying to lose weight means I have to severely limit "real" sugars of any kind. The one thing that does seem to be proven is that all of the artificial sweeteners on the market are NOT good for you at all. So if you want low or zero calorie, it's best to carry your own packets of the natural stuff (Truvia, Nextresse, Stevia/Monkfruit In the Raw, etc...) with you so you're not stuck somewhere using the pink, blue or yellow stuff - those are all just legal POISON.
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only use sweetener when it's called for in recipes but I just stick to basic sugar. Or for my son in the morning instead of syrup he eats honey.
  • Lizplus3
    Lizplus3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use regular sugar for some things, Splenda for my coffee and I have started using Truvia on things.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Regular sugar. My protein powder has stevia, and it's fine, but I just can't get over the aftertaste of most artificial sweeteners.

I don't use any in tea though (which is good considering how much I drink...).
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i'm so sweet i just stick my finger in. :wink:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Regular sugar.

In my opinion, if you are using so much sugar at 15 calories per teaspoon that you need to seek out zero calorie options, then maybe it is time to address your high sugar consumption. Obviously if you are seeking out other sweeteners due to medical issues (diabetes, etc.) then that is a different story.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Usually regular sugar but I do sometimes switch a teaspoon of sugar in my porridge for Splenda.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Splenda. The holes in my brain are just my little way of making sure everyone can keep up with me. I'm a helper.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Stevia in the morning when I am in my fasted state

sugar the other times
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    In baking/recipes, regular sugar - white or brown, usually. Sometimes honey (in yogurt especially). I am open to trying natural/different sweeteners but it seems like I only use a sweetener of this type 1-2 times a week so it's not a big thing for me or my husband at this point.

In my morning coffee (one cup per day) I use one packet of aspartame...I know, I know...I prefer its taste to anything else including regular sugar. For a few years I used agave but have heard mixed information on it and it's expensive, so...

I don't sweeten my tea.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sugar, splenda, and Coke Zero.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sugar or honey, depending on the purpose and my mood. I don't use a lot of sweetener except in baking (never did) and I'm not baking nearly as much at the moment.

I can't stand the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners (they all taste odd to me), and agave triggers migraines. I'm curious about stevia, mostly for baking, but haven't tried to see if I detect the aftertaste some people do.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Splenda in my coffee or tea, regular sugar in baking, but I only add half of what the recipe calls for. I will sometimes use a half Splenda / half sugar mix for baking (after having already cut the sugar in half) if the texture doesn't change much (like in cookies and quick bread).

Anything else is likely regular sugar or brown sugar.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Same here, but I use a different appendage.

My old high school nickname was sweet pants.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

You wore pants made out of fruit leather too?!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Lips like sugar...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

You wore pants made out of fruit leather too?!

underwear. Yes.