Saving calories for the weekend?

Options
Hey everyone!

I was just curious if this idea that have is a good one. I used to do Weight Watchers in years past and lost lots of weight. I am loving MFP for many reasons, however I struggle with not having extra calories (or points) to use throughout the week. According to MFP, for me to lose 1.5 pounds a week I should be eating around 1700 calories. I was thinking of setting my calorie limit for 1500 a day and then banking the 200 extra each day that I don't eat each day so I can use them on the weekends. (That would give me 1400 calories banked) So....essentially I would still be eating the same amount each week, it would just look different each day.

Does this make sense and does anyone else do this? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Well, what are you going to do with an extra 1,000 calories on the weekend?
    I personally would not save my calories for the weekend. That seems like asking for trouble, at least as far as health goes. If you get used to spending the weekend eating far over your normal calorie limit, it's going to be hard during the week to stick to what was recommended (200 calories LESS than was recommended, in fact.)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Averaging out over the week is fine as long as it you find you are able to stick to it and going lower on weekdays doesn't effect workout performance.

With only 14 lbs to lose, 1.5 lbs/week is too aggressive. I would recommend no more than 1 lb/week, tapering to 1/2 lb/week as you get close to goal.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I just started a program with a PT and he has me on a cycle of calories more on days I train, much less on days I don't, and then a little extra (but less than training days) for weekends. He said that if I go this approach (I had a choice) then its the weekly average I am looking for. So around my BMR for non training, 200 extra for training, and then 150 for weekends.

Hope this helps.

Also wouldn't it only give you 1000? since you are only "banking" during the week (5 days)?

I don't know that I would want to eat that much extra on weekends personally. I think it would throw my stomach off for the week, but if you can manage it more power to you
  • alabbey
    alabbey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW and am trying to make the adjustment. On that plan you had your daily allotment of points (kind of like calories), then extra points to use during the week (not just on weekends) in case you wanted a dinner out or a splurge.

I am just having a hard time adjusting and thought this might be a nice solution.

I have read others on here that do not eat their exercise calories back every day that way they can have a little extra on the weekend.

Thanks for your insight.
  • alabbey
    Options
    See....I upped my calories a bit to change my loss from 1.5 to .5 but I gained! I have read tons of posts about eat more to lose but I am just not sure if that works for me.
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could do it as long as you stick to it and as long as your weekly caloric intake doesn't reduce you to a level under your starvation mode... otherwise you would really be hurting yourself reducing your weekday intake. As long as your over your starvation mode level and you can do it then you'll be fine. Or you could increase your exercise level so that you are eating the 1700 (or whatever MFP is suggesting) but your burning off a little extra through the week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's fine that you do this, but on the days you have lower calories, make sure your protein and fats are high for satiety. Also, make sure you do weight training to help with muscle retention. The more lean you are, the more calories you need and the more important adequate levels of protein become. So just take the calories out of carbs.
  • alabbey
    Options
    Maybe I should do like you said and eat more on my workout days, eat closer to BMR on rest days, and 150 extra on weekends.

Thank you all for your responses. I had great success on WW but am really liking MFP. I know they are kind of the same but I am just having a hard time adjusting. Weird, I know :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    See....I upped my calories a bit to change my loss from 1.5 to .5 but I gained! I have read tons of posts about eat more to lose but I am just not sure if that works for me.

How long did you do it for and how much did you gain? When most people increase calories, especially women, they increase carbs. Increased carbs = increase glycogen storage/water storage. Also, your body takes time to adapt, so if you didn't do it for a month, it wasn't long enough as a normal body can fluctuate 5-10 lbs a day.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do this! Its smart!! Do you have an Iphone or the MFP app? if you do, you can set a 7 day average and I find this most helpful when looking at the bigger picture. As of today, MFP says i am currently 21 NET cals under my weekly goal-What does that mean exactly? Well it means that If I ate my total daily allotment each and every day I would still lose my 1lb this week (since my weekly goal includes the 500cal deficit to lose 1lb/week). BUT..... I plan on going for a run after work, and I wont likely eat ALL of those cals back that I have earned. So you can bet tomorrow my weekly average will say 330+ NET cals under your weekly goal.....

I do this all week long and try to get it up into the 1,000 range or more, then when life happens-pizza night, drinks with friends, lunch out, cravin chocolate, PMS chip attack, or hell one endless glass of wine- I can log it honestly, and relook at the weekly average and see- well it didnt ruin anything, it may put me into the red for ONE DAY, but over the course of the week I am still ok!
  • alabbey
    Options
    I only upped them for two weeks.

It just freaked me out because I have lost 75 pounds and am up 5 from my own slacking, hence why I am here.

I have read tons about the TDEE and posts from people here and I am trying to figure out a good calorie goal for me. According to the scooby site, I should be eating around 1900 I believe. On here it says 1700 plus eating back my exercise calories. I burn about 600 cals an hour (HRM) teaching Jazzercise three times a week. (aerobic dancing and resistance training with tubes, balls, and free weights)

I am really confused. I felt so hungry all of the time doing WW, here I am still trying to figure out a good calorie goal and not gain. I think I just need to be a little more patient. :)
  • alabbey
    Options
    I do this! Its smart!! Do you have an Iphone or the MFP app? if you do, you can set a 7 day average and I find this most helpful when looking at the bigger picture. As of today, MFP says i am currently 21 NET cals under my weekly goal-What does that mean exactly? Well it means that If I ate my total daily allotment each and every day I would still lose my 1lb this week (since my weekly goal includes the 500cal deficit to lose 1lb/week). BUT..... I plan on going for a run after work, and I wont likely eat ALL of those cals back that I have earned. So you can bet tomorrow my weekly average will say 330+ NET cals under your weekly goal.....

I do this all week long and try to get it up into the 1,000 range or more, then when life happens-pizza night, drinks with friends, lunch out, cravin chocolate, PMS chip attack, or hell one endless glass of wine- I can log it honestly, and relook at the weekly average and see- well it didnt ruin anything, it may put me into the red for ONE DAY, but over the course of the week I am still ok!
  • alabbey
    Options

THIS!!!! This is what I am trying to explain :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to 1200 calories before exercise, even though I need 1400 to achieve my goal of maintaining. But I don't log Friday-Sunday and pretty much eat/drink whatever I want then, so I figure i'm probably consuming a little bit extra on the weekends. This method has been working well for me for the past couple years.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do weekly calories as well. I think of it like putting money in the bank for future use :)
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I think it's a reasonable idea.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Sure, this is reasonable. I think it can be helpful to think in terms of how many calories to get for the week instead of per day. Each day is a little different, so a flexible number of calories makes sense. Take a little here, add it there, however it works for you.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I only upped them for two weeks.

It just freaked me out because I have lost 75 pounds and am up 5 from my own slacking, hence why I am here.

I have read tons about the TDEE and posts from people here and I am trying to figure out a good calorie goal for me. According to the scooby site, I should be eating around 1900 I believe. On here it says 1700 plus eating back my exercise calories. I burn about 600 cals an hour (HRM) teaching Jazzercise three times a week. (aerobic dancing and resistance training with tubes, balls, and free weights)

I am really confused. I felt so hungry all of the time doing WW, here I am still trying to figure out a good calorie goal and not gain. I think I just need to be a little more patient. :)

How many calories where you eating pre-increase? Also, are you using a food scale? And can you open your diary.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's fine to bank some calories for the weekend; it means you zig zag (have less some days, more on others) and even out your target over a week. This is good for keeping the metabolism ticking over and helps prevent plateaus. Enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I was just curious if this idea that have is a good one. I used to do Weight Watchers in years past and lost lots of weight. I am loving MFP for many reasons, however I struggle with not having extra calories (or points) to use throughout the week. According to MFP, for me to lose 1.5 pounds a week I should be eating around 1700 calories. I was thinking of setting my calorie limit for 1500 a day and then banking the 200 extra each day that I don't eat each day so I can use them on the weekends. (That would give me 1400 calories banked) So....essentially I would still be eating the same amount each week, it would just look different each day.

Does this make sense and does anyone else do this? Thanks in advance!!

I'm very familiar with WW. I will tell you that it's hard to "bank" calories using MFP. MFP is so obsessed with Net Calories so the weekly average on the report if not your true average calorie intake. I hate it. Otherwise it would have been a good tool to implement a weekly calorie banking system.

So, since I've never found it easy to do a weekly thing with MFP. What I do is I keep in mind my points (Momentum/Flex/their old plan) still. I use MFP to log my foods and at the end on the food notes I put the total points used that day. Then, I use QuickPoints app on my iphone to quickly keep track of my 35 weekly points. The weekly points was one of the best features of the Points program. It allowed you the flexibility much needed for real life. It's what made the plan something you could live with.