FRUSTRATED...

Options
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I did my weigh in this morning, and I gained 2 lbs! I had a couple slips with unhealthy options a couple times this week, but for the most part I stayed within my calories allowed and I worked out a few times! I've been following my diet for 3 weeks and I haven't shed a single pound =( I almost feel like this is doing me more harm then good! At least before I did this I was maintaining my weight! Any advice to jumpstart after a plateau???

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I would have to see what your eating how often and all that. Cant help other wise.
  • buck1994
    Options
    How about a change in your exercise routine. The problem with exercise is that it becomes TOO routine. Try something different. Insteade of walking for 30 min, walk 10 min forward and 5 min backward, alternating until you get your 30 mins in. if you lift weights, do something different for a particular exercise, even something as simple as changing your grip on the bar. Something to shake your body up and give it something that is not expected. Continue to count your calories and push through the plateau. I hope this helps...
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Wishing support as I'm typing the following:

You say: "I've been following my diet for 3 weeks....." and then go on to say "I had a couple of slips this week". Kinda contradicting things here. If you are not realistic and honest with yourself with what's happening, you may be sabotaging yourself by thinking you are trying 100%, when in fact you may not be, then giving up because you've convinced yourself that you did EXACTLY what you had to and it didn't work - so screw it I'll go back to my old ways...

I don't say this to rain on your parade - I just want to make you aware that what you are saying and doing aren't matching. Losing weight normally is a journey for one self, being aware of what we do, eat and say normally are things that we need to reassess.

I hope things will get better for you. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I did my weigh in this morning, and I gained 2 lbs! I had a couple slips with unhealthy options a couple times this week, but for the most part I stayed within my calories allowed and I worked out a few times! I've been following my diet for 3 weeks and I haven't shed a single pound =( I almost feel like this is doing me more harm then good! At least before I did this I was maintaining my weight! Any advice to jumpstart after a plateau???
    I'm not so sure you'd be having a plateau already after only being here 3 weeks I suppose anything is possible but it's likely other reasons.

Drinking plenty of water?
    Too many processed foods?
    Eating 5-6 mini meals per day?
    Limiting your sodium, too much and it can really hold the water weight...
    Eating enough fruits and veggies?
    What cal goal are you set at?
    Are you eating enough according to what MFP set you up at? (it's very important to get enough nutrients in or you can stall your loss)
    What do you have your weight loss goals set at per week?

You mention having some unhealthy choices this week, not sure what they were but if you ate out or the food was very processed it's likely it had a ton of sodium in it which can really hinder our goals. It makes a person retain water.

As ProTFitness shared, we're blindly guessing without seeing your food diary unless you can share a bit more about what you typically eat and your routine?:flowerforyou:

I don't think it's possible to do more harm than good by switching up and eating more healthy foods and adding in exercise unless you have health issues and your doc has told you not to workout or eat certain foods. Even without a weight drop exercise and healthier choices is incredibly good for our bodies!!
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    to much sodium will make you retain more water....
    my first few weeks i started working out my body didnt lose anything actually i think i gained a few also... do what your supposed to do and it will fall into place

changing your water habits will add weight... like if your body never got water before and now is getting a ton of water its still in camel mode for a few weeks till it realises that water will always be there and it doesnt have to store it .

ps water is insanely good for you.. water weight is exactly that. just water... dont be afraid of water weight its good for you
  • Manda1987
    Options
    Don't worry! I was in the exact same place.

I had been going for 25 days before I saw a shift in the downwards direction. Just as I was really wanting to give up, I lost 3 lbs in 4 days and haven't gained it back. I was panicking too, and a bunch of people told me that the same thing happened to them.

Can't explain it.

And don't let people who criticize you for being human get you down. Nobody's perfect. You can still expect some results even if you're not. You don't need to try 100%. 80% is better than nothing, and you'll be a lot happier and more likely to stick to your changes when you get to the end.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Don't quit!!! What ever you do, don't quit. Try something else, like eating more calories and you will find what works for you. I know the feeling, I have been doing this for 6 weeks and lost one pound.... (don't mind my ticker) I am not telling myself lies about what I eat but it's the way it is. I feel sad when I see people losing pounds, week after week and I am working as hard as they do. This journey is not a competition with anyone else.
  • scraig77
    scraig77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got frustrated because the scale was not moving either, then I started doing the measurements...even though the scale was not moving, I was losing inches, that helped keep me from getting frustrated
  • rchr59
    rchr59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your gain. I have been on fitness pals for alittle over 3 months. I KNOW that some weeks are totally frustrating. I have those weeks too, where I feel I don't deserve the crap that the scales tells me. I take a bit of comfort from the popular TV show, The Biggest Loser's. On the show those people LIVE in an enviroment of total support and exercise with a trainer, hours every day. They eat with other dieters watching them, a drs prescribed plan and are there to lose weight. Yet they have weeks where they lose very little or nothing, on occassion they even have a small gain too. If they are in that enviroment and have weeks where they lose very little or even gain, then we certainly have to cut ourselves a break living a real life. A life with stress, holiday parties, and the ups and downs of the real world. I have NO IDEA why some weeks the scales is just mean to us, but I do know it
    happens to us all!! Try to focus on the fact that you did maintain your program most of the week, you did do your work outs, and that overall you are doing well. Take pride in what you have done and what you know you have done correctly, rather than on the negitive crap the scale is telling you this week. When I have a bad week, I try to tell myslef how much healthier I am eating now, how much better I feel and look, and not on the negitive reading on the scale. Good Luck.
  • akeys5862
    Options
    Thanks for the support. Before I started using fitness pal I did weight watchers and I lost 30lbs. I've maintained it quite well...but all I seem to do is maintain. I will take the advice and just keep pushing through!!