weight training

Options
Why doesn't this program allow you to log in some sort of calories burned when you lift weights? I workout with a trainer and I know I'm burning calories ??

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't this program allow you to log in some sort of calories burned when you lift weights? I workout with a trainer and I know I'm burning calories ??

To get a calorie burn guesstimate .....log strength training under cardiovascular.

The other section is to track your reps/pounds/etc.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In the cardiovascular section of your diary you will find "strength training". We definitely burn calories working with weights - I sweat as much doing my strength training as in my Zumba classes.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Because there's no telling how many calories you burnt during that strength training session. Some people may burn up to 800 calories in an hour of strength training while others might only burn 200 calories. It all depends on your lean mass, the amount of weight being lifted, the exercises being performed, the time between sets, how many reps per set, etc....
  • CStellaGo
    CStellaGo Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Because there's no telling how many calories you burnt during that strength training session. Some people may burn up to 800 calories in an hour of strength training while others might only burn 200 calories. It all depends on your lean mass, the amount of weight being lifted, the exercises being performed, the time between sets, how many reps per set, etc....

*Applause*

The best thing if you want to know for sure what you should log for calories burnt is to look into a HRM in my opinion. I love/hate mine. I wish I had done more research before purchasing the Polar HR4 because I have signal loss all the time so it's no longer accurate for me.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

*Applause*

The best thing if you want to know for sure what you should log for calories burnt is to look into a HRM in my opinion. I love/hate mine. I wish I had done more research before purchasing the Polar HR4 because I have signal loss all the time so it's no longer accurate for me.

I don't believe this is correct. From what I have read in MFP threads and elsewhere, HRMs are not accurate for tracking calories burned during strength training. It has something to do with the fact that strength training does not give you a cardio workout, which is what HRMs are measuring. There are plenty of threads on MFP where this is explained. I'm not going to even try as it is well over my head.
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Goto exercise
    Under cardiovascular search for Strength training.
    This will give you calories burned, is it correct , hard to say

Hope this helps :)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

*Applause*

I don't believe this is correct. From what I have read in MFP threads and elsewhere, HRMs are not accurate for tracking calories burned during strength training. It has something to do with the fact that strength training does not give you a cardio workout, which is what HRMs are measuring. There are plenty of threads on MFP where this is explained. I'm not going to even try as it is well over my head.

It will show a lower amount of calories burnt than were actually burnt. This really isn't important, people shouldn't be logging their strength training anyway IMO. Just pick a base level of calories that you eat on a daily basis and which allows you to lose weight at your desired rate and leave it at that. Logging all of your exercise and then eating back all the calories just over-complicates things and opens the door to eating too much. This is especially true in regards to strength training because people like to think that they are working a lot harder than they actually are while lifting.
  • karen5ft10inches
    Options
    thank-you!
  • karen5ft10inches
    Options
    thank you
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Goto exercise
    Under cardiovascular search for Strength training.
    This will give you calories burned, is it correct , hard to say

Hope this helps :)

This is what I do.