Entering Ketosis?

Options
How can I get into Ketosis and not bring my body into startvation mode? and make sure that I'm losing fat for energy and not muscle?

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    How can I get into Ketosis and not bring my body into startvation mode? and make sure that I'm losing fat for energy and not muscle?
    The FIRST thing I'd do is go post the question in the keto forum, where you're not as likely to get slammed by the anti-keto crowd ... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

That being said ... It's easy to get into ketosis without getting into "starvation mode": Increase fat intake to roughly 75% of your calories while reducing carbohydrate intake to 5% or less of your calories ... the other 20% is protein ... And ensure you get enough calories to meet your basic metabolic requirements (but still create a mild caloric deficit if you want to lose weight) and you'll get there.

FYI it's common to be told to maintain a carbohydrate intake of no-more-than 20-30g to get into ketosis, BUT if you're truly eating 5% or less of your calories from carbohydrate AND maintaining a deficit, you'll get into ketosis fairly quickly. (And yes, I truly believe as a keto dieter you should count calories ... overeating simply will not help you lose weight ... though many people don't overeat when they go keto, some DO. You need to know in which camp you fall...)

If you want to speed the process of keto-adaptation, then once you've started the diet, go and do an all-over-body weight-training workout (all major muscle groups; to help deplete muscle-glycogen) one day, and the next day do 60-90 minutes of steady-state cardio to deplete liver glycogen. Depleting both liver and muscle glycogen will cause the keto-adaptation to take place earlier than if you just wait it out.
  • colletti_annetti
    Options
    Thank you:) I'm kinda new to this so I'm sorry.