Binging at night

Options
I know its a self control thing & I need to learn to just say no as late night snacks which turn into binges can completely destroy all my good eating throughout the day but I find it so difficult & was wondering if anyone had any tips on how they stopped this kind of thing?
Im a university student and it always seems to happen once i come home for the holidays, sure its probably because all of a sudden I'm going from an empty fridge in halls to a fridge at home packed with chocolate and good food but I need to stop getting into this routine and ASAP as I'm piling on the pounds!

Replies

• KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've had this same issue multiple times. Just say no!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Drink water before each meal and throughout the day. You may need to eat more of your calories during the day as well.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    First thing I always think is to find out why you're binging. Some people snack at night because they've set their calorie goals too low and their bodies are trying to get the fuel they need. Others snack out of habit and boredom. And still more are emotional eaters, eating to suppress or enhance a feeling.

If you're a boredom eater then stop letting yourself be bored. Take up a hobby (preferably something that keeps your hands busy) or get out of the house.

If you're not eating enough through the day or missing nutrients or food groups then change your diet through the day and you may be less likely to snack at night.

If you're an emotional eater then you may have to find ways to work through the emotions other than eating. Journaling, yoga, meditation, kickboxing, whatever it is that works for you.

Willpower is a good thing to learn, but sometimes it needs a little help.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Maybe save some calories for the evening so you can indulge if it is something you enjoy, but if you are eating out of boredom or habit, you just have to learn to stop doing it. Just as it takes years to build bad habits, it can take awhile to build good habits too, so you have to make the good habits a routine. You may also look at your calorie counts - if you are binging because you are hungry, you may need to up your calories, or add more satiating foods like good fats (think avocados and nuts) so you are not hungry. It is definitely a process, but once you get on teh right track, you'll find that it's not as hard as it was last week, last month, last year, etc.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I give myself a treat at the end of every single day. I plan my day around 150 calories of sweets at night. Blue Bell makes a "no sugar added" ice cream that is only 90 calories in 79 grams (and it is darn tasty too!) and then I put 4 tablespoons of fat free whipped cream (all my friends agree it tastes the same as regular) And that is only 5 calories a tablespoon, and then 2 teaspoons f sprinkles for 20 calories.

It makes me feel indulgent, I get my sugary sweet fix, and it is very low calorie. I wouldn't call it healthy by any means, but it is healthy for a psyche and that is pretty important! lol
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Save enough calories for a small treat at the end of the day but front load your calories - big breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner. If you eat more earlier in the day you'll be less likely to binge. But also make sure you are, in fact, eating enough. If you're actually hungry, your deficit is possibly too high.

To stay more satisfied in a caloric deficit, try including protein and fiber at every opportunity to eat. So if you need a snack and you're going to eat an apple, add a cheese string or a hard boiled egg to it. It will keep you fuller longer.
  • hugrekki
    hugrekki Posts: 40
    Options
    If I'm craving something at night, I drink an entire glass of water instead. My stomach feels full, so my mind forgets about the craving and moves on.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I like to eat more at night, so I eat fewer calories during the day most days and leave more room for dinner and a snack later. I try to pre-plan as much as possible to make it easier on myself, and I especially did that in the early days when I was really getting used to the better and more controlled eating, when I knew I was weaker.
  • Akasya13
    Akasya13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sleep early, before you know it it'll be morning and you'll be able to eat breakfast :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    have a bigger dinner at night.
  • LinaHelseth
    Options
    Aside from drinking a glass of water, I'll also chew gum.
    I think it's got something to do with the mouth hunger, rather than the stomach hunger (which is when you are actually hungry.)
    Mouth hunger is simply when my mouth feels hungry, but my stomach doesn't agree.
    Chewing gum helps a lot!
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm that way too...I have a great day and then sometimes I blow it by snacking at night and it's because I'm a boredom eater or I like to eat in front of the TV. Well, now I knit or crochet in front of the TV so that doesn't happen anymore. Or save that treat for yourself at night. And like earlier stated make sure you are getting enough calories throughout the day. :)
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredom snacker. When I first started logging my food on MFP, I learned that I was eating up to 1000 calories every day after 6pm (this was after a full 2000-3000 calorie day).

For me it was a combination of behavioral training (breaking the habit of snacking mindlessly at night), and finding something else to do. I learned how to knit with library books and YouTube tutorials. It really helps keep my hands busy. I can't eat greasy popcorn and knit a wool hat at the same time.

For the chewing and sweet need, I use hot tea and sugarless gum. Not as exciting as a Snickers Blizzard from Dairy Queen, but they helped me break the binge habit. Celestial Seasonings makes several flavors of hot tea (I like the sugar cookie one). And Extra has a whole line of sugar free gum that is supposed to taste like dessert. Not all the flavors are awesome, but I'm addicted to the lemon square and the peach cobbler ones.

Note: I do allow myself treats (like the Snickers Blizzard), but when I do, I plan them into my day instead of blindly shoving them into my face all night.

Breaking the habit of night snacking was HARD. I still have nights when I feel like I'm DYING to eat until my belly hurts.

Good luck. You can do it. :smile:
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started having hot tea at night. It gives my mouth something to have, and it's good for me. If I MUST eat something, I try to eat raw veggies with a little humus, or like half an apple with PB or something like that. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but when I really get a sweet craving, I might have a chocolate square or a cup of hot chocolate.

In the summer when I'm bored around the house, I always want to snack more. When I get a snack attack, I try to go out for a jog or walk the dogs or something active. When I get back, I usually don't want anything anymore. If I do, well, then I've burned a few extra calories for a small snack,
  • nawazarrio
    nawazarrio Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like to eat more at night too. I typically eat fewer calories during the day and have a reasonable dinner and a snack. It's not an easy change to make but it can be done. If you're an emotional eater (like me) it may help you to slow down and think about why you want to binge. I'm getting to the point where i can distract myself long enough that the immediate urge passes. Once the most intense part of the craving passes, you can make more logical choices. Slow and steady, you can do it.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm totally the same! My parents even know that I have a midnight snack every single night when I'm home that I prepare and take up to bed with me.

My best piece of advice is to plan to have a meal at midnight. For example, instead of having all your calories before 8 or 9, make your daytime meals smaller (when you have more willpower) and then have another meal or large snack before bed. Timing of your calories doesn't matter, and eating before bed won't make you gain weight or prevent you from losing if you make an allowance for it. In fact, if you're doing any strength training, it can be helpful to have a protein snack before bed because your body heals itself during that time.

Prepare yourself something - don't just grab junk food from the pantry. Make yourself a stir fry, or oatmeal, or whatever. As long as it involves cooking. Make a portion that fits your goals. Then, when it's done, leave the kitchen, eat it, and go to bed. Or if you stay up past that, have some tea.