disabled so can't exercise too much!

sand235
sand235 Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Introduce Yourself
Hi folks,

I'm Jessicca, and I have just joined this Forum. it will be great to get calorie content info and find support and chat online as well!

I'm English but now live in Italy - yes, I know, all that irresistible pasta! I'm learning to use tomato based sauces rather than cream ones!

My big problem though is that I have MS and really can't exercise much. I know it would make a big difference to the rate of weight loss and I just don't know what to do.

If there are any other readers who can chat with me about this I would be so grateful :)

Cheers,

Jessicca

Replies

• ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Are you healthy enough to go for walks? You don't necessarily need to do intense cardio to get a lot of the benefits, there are some studies that say that brisk walking achieves a lot of the benefits as well!
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Hello Jessica & welcome. We share a few things i common: English but I lived in Naples, Italy for 10 years & I have a level of disability too.
    Funnily enough I found it easy to keep weigh off in Italy due to so many lovely tasty vegetables & fruit so I just know you will be successful & my friend on here loses faster than me & her only exercise is walking around a car boot twice a week.I swim or at least exercise in deep water as often as possible but always find I weigh more the next day as muscles retain water during recovery but what is good is that I am toning up nicely despite being almost 60 years old. Deep water exercise would be good for you but I know there were very few pools in Naples so not sure if that is a possibility for you. You an do some exercises while sitting or laying down using bottles of water as weights or cans of food etc so think positively & you will succeed.
    Good luck.
  • Hey Jessica, I have a disability too (well, a few) Mine aren't too bad, but when my anxiety gets bad, I can't go out anywhere, if you can't exercise, (or a lot anyways) I would say to try and eat healthy foods at least, fruits, veggies, etc, stuff that doesn't have to many calories, plus their uber healthy for you! :D
  • i have cmt1a and i cant exercise either..very hard to lose weight however 5 years ago i lost 56 pounds ..yea...till i put back on 15 pounds now...i am going to try very hard to lose it..ive done it before i will do it again.....its nice to hear this stuff from other physically challenged people ..i sometimes get bummed when i hear all the exercise talk ...but u do wat u can and u will Jessica:smile:
  • Wow, thanks everyone for all the support, suggestions and encouragement! I can't go for long walks but it's true, I do get plenty of fresh fruit and veg here :)

By the way I love the picture of Captain JIm157 - I also have cat - a big blob of a thing that I adore. He seems to collect dust wherever he goes!

Hey Batty5 - I was most encouraged to read that your friend loses weight despite not doing much exercise except walking around boot sales! By the way you certainly don't look the age you mention! Must be the good Italian sunshine you experienced when you lived here!

Anyway thank you again folks, I'll definitely stay with this site. You're all great.

Jessicca
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Welcome Jessica! It brings a tear to my eye to hear you say you want to be healthier. My mom gave up and the more she sat, the less she was capable of doing. I wish I knew then what I know now, I would make her get up and move.

Just moving is awesome. Light weights? Like a can of peas? They are 16 oz!!

God Bless!

:heart: Jeannie
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Hi Jessica and welcome!

I don't want to come off sounding harsh, so please know that. First and foremost, lose the word "can't!" Just because you have MS doesn't mean you can't do things. I know because I have it, too. Start saying, "it's possible."

I started this lifestyle doing only 10 minutes of exercise in the beginning. It was on a stationary bike that has the moving arms. I couldn't do the arms in the beginning, so I just sat and used my legs. I'm now working out about an hour a day, 6 days a week doing the bike with the arms, the treadmill and/or JM's 30 Day Shred. Anything is possible to work towards. Just set small goals and don't move onto another until you've mastered one. But, please, lose the word "can't" because you can...just maybe not at the moment. Work towards doing more.

I don't know what form of MS you have. Mine is relapsing-remitting. Just don't let it control you, you control it. :) There are going to be bad days...oh, how I know!! But, if you can push through them, it does get better. I'm proof of that. :) If you read my profile, you'll see that MS isn't the only issue on my plate.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be harsh; however, with all I deal with, I refuse to have someone tell me they can't do something. If I can do it, anyone can. :) Just remember, 'it's possible.' Little steps lead to wonderful results.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I have an injury and I use the word modify instead of can't. For many a year I couldn't do many things that I am blessed to be doing now.

How are you doing Jessica? Good I hope!!

:heart: Jeannie
This discussion has been closed.