GMOs

Options
Do you eat GMO foods? Why or why not?

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Do you eat GMO foods? Why or why not?

I don't when I can avoid them, and it's for two reasons.

The first is the unknown health risks. We don't know if there are risks, but we also don't know that there aren't because of Monsanto's strict "we don't feel the need to test our products" stance, which you can find right there on their website

Secondly is the political aspect and I'm just personally not a fan of supporting a monopoly over our national food supply (again, Monsanto). When $$ governs what and how we eat, none of us win.

Just IMO.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    GMO foods need better advertising.

They've done a ton of good already and are without a doubt the most studied and rigorously tested foods on the planet.

All that most of the public knows about it is the anti-GMO point of view.

Spend some time googling golden rice and read about the utter disgrace that the anti-GMO activists are.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    In for later.

OT: Yes I eat them because I'm not bothered by them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I don't see much of a problem with food safety, but I believe labelling should be more transparent for people that would prefer to keep it out of their diet.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I don't see much of a problem with food safety, but I believe labelling should be more transparent for people that would prefer to keep it out of their diet.

Agreed !
  • waldo56
    Options

Eh, I don't think the public is grown up enough / educated enough at this point to deal with GMO labeling. Labeling yes/no doesn't really tell you anything about it anyway. There is a world of difference between the various types of GMO.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Eh, I don't think the public is grown up enough / educated enough at this point to deal with GMO labeling. Labeling yes/no doesn't really tell you anything about it anyway. There is a world of difference between the various types of GMO.
    Not a good argument imo I think people have the right to know and why the mystery?
  • waldo56
    Options

Not a good argument imo I think people have the right to know and why the mystery?

One can extend that "right to know" concept in any number of absurd directions for any number of things. The 'right to know" argument only makes sense if the process itself is hazardous and shown to be (and not only a subset of the products of the process). Forcing its use basically implies that there is no faith in the FDA's approval process on this particular item (which comes down to a whole lot of derp, no amount of evidence can convice skeptics, for another related example see aspartame). Certifying that whole supply chains are GMO free is not always an easy task, especially since cooking oils are one place it is heavily used.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I came in here already pre-annoyed but lo-and-behold, there's a whole bunch of common sense floating around! Thanks for reaffirming my faith in (a very small section of) the internet, peeps. :)

As a veterinarian and sustainable food fan, I agree with most of what has been said. There is NO evidence that genetic modification technology in and of itself is evil or dangerous. It's been used to make amazing things, like safer vaccines. But like any technology, it could have unforeseen effects if used in specific ways and thus needs to be used transparently and carefully, with open dialogue and testing. The public in general really doesn't even understand what GM means - this tends to go double for those most vocally opposed to it.

I don't go out of my way, but I do tend to avoid them if possible solely in order to give my own teeny tiny middle finger to Monsanto. They do pretty terrible things to small farmers, the environment and sustainable farming.
  • neanderthin
    Options

One can extend that "right to know" concept in any number of absurd directions for any number of things. The 'right to know" argument only makes sense if the process itself is hazardous and shown to be (and not only a subset of the products of the process). Forcing its use basically implies that there is no faith in the FDA's approval process on this particular item (which comes down to a whole lot of derp, no amount of evidence can convice skeptics, for another related example see aspartame). Certifying that whole supply chains are GMO free is not always an easy task, especially since cooking oils are one place it is heavily used.
    Like I said people have a right to know where genetically modified food are in our food supply. Considering the USA produces more than 3/4 of all GMO foods, no doubt that is a logistical nightmare. Probably has to do with how food is subsidized and the large percentage of processed foods Americans eat, which must be part of the reason the EU and many other Countries find labelling GMO foods easier to do.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    I eat them and don't see think there is anything to be concerned about. I wish they could genetically modify stuff so that human germs aren't retained on the surface. That way the next time I see the weirdo in the orange section touching each orange to her nose, I won't have to worry whether I washed away all of his secretions before eating my orange. Okay, so my stance I suppose is YaY for genetically modified foods!!
  • waldo56
    Options
    Like I said people have a right to know where genetically modified food are in our food supply.

Just assume everything sold in a grocery store not labeled GMO free contains some. Makes it easy.

Label the same way as synthetic fertilizers and whatnot, assume it has it unless specified otherwise.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Like I said people have a right to know where genetically modified food are in our food supply.

Just assume everything sold in a grocery store not labeled GMO free contains some. Makes it easy.

Label the same way as synthetic fertilizers and whatnot, assume it has it unless specified otherwise.
    That works.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I eat them and don't see think there is anything to be concerned about. I wish they could genetically modify stuff so that human germs aren't retained on the surface. That way the next time I see the weirdo in the orange section touching each orange to her nose, I won't have to worry whether I washed away all of his secretions before eating my orange. Okay, so my stance I suppose is YaY for genetically modified foods!!

you eat the skin on an orange!? :tongue:
  • waldo56
    Options

That works.

Food has to be GMO free to be certified organic.

That system could be easily expanded to add a subset, certified GMO free, that can use synthetic fertilizers but no GMO.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Lol no I don't eat orange skin but just like what happened with cantaloupe (poop from the cantaloupe pluckers contaminated the skin) when you peel or cut into the skin of produce, whatever bacteria is on the skin can contaminate the flesh and then you end up with someone else's poop in your digestive tract.
  • ardawen
    Options
    No GMO's for me.

First off I have some digestion problems and I find GMO food makes it worse, also I swear a GMO tomato isn't as yummy as one from a garden.

Second, I don't like what monsanto stands for, what they do, how they're changed farming or that they feel they have the right to "own" seeds, and prevent small farms from seed storing or farming the 'old way'. I'm one of those hippie chicks who hula hoops during the day, makes my own clothes and blankets and doesn't shop at Walmart because i disagree with how they do business.

No judgement toward anyone who does eat gmo's, i just want to know when something has been modified and how so i can educate myself and eat how I like.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    No GMO's for me.

First off I have some digestion problems and I find GMO food makes it worse, also I swear a GMO tomato isn't as yummy as one from a garden.

Second, I don't like what monsanto stands for, what they do, how they're changed farming or that they feel they have the right to "own" seeds, and prevent small farms from seed storing or farming the 'old way'. I'm one of those hippie chicks who hula hoops during the day, makes my own clothes and blankets and doesn't shop at Walmart because i disagree with how they do business.

No judgement toward anyone who does eat gmo's, i just want to know when something has been modified and how so i can educate myself and eat how I like.
    How would you know you were eating gmo let alone comparing it to non GMO for your n-1 study on digestion. How does one know that a tomato is genetically modified and if it were I suspect it would be done to enhance the taste of off season card board. just curious
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I came in here already pre-annoyed but lo-and-behold, there's a whole bunch of common sense floating around! Thanks for reaffirming my faith in (a very small section of) the internet, peeps. :)

As a veterinarian and sustainable food fan, I agree with most of what has been said. There is NO evidence that genetic modification technology in and of itself is evil or dangerous. It's been used to make amazing things, like safer vaccines. But like any technology, it could have unforeseen effects if used in specific ways and thus needs to be used transparently and carefully, with open dialogue and testing. The public in general really doesn't even understand what GM means - this tends to go double for those most vocally opposed to it.

I don't go out of my way, but I do tend to avoid them if possible solely in order to give my own teeny tiny middle finger to Monsanto. They do pretty terrible things to small farmers, the environment and sustainable farming.

Yup. I find invariably that GMO discussions get derailed by Monsanto debates. There's nothing demonstrably wrong or off about GMO food. However, if you want to talk about Monsanto's business practices, I'll very much likely agree with you. I just wish they didn't have to seem so mutually exclusive.
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    GMO's have not been tested... this is false information.. we humans are their guniea pigs.... and I for one can say that since I stopped eating GMO's, I am a "swollen" person anymore, I can digest food, I am not lactose intolerant like I thought and my head is clear. The same people who say GMOS are safe are the same people who said asbestos and cigarettes were safe. The FDA names GMO's "generally safe".... to cover their butts. GMO crops have built in pesticide.. however, nature evolves, therefore they have to use more toxic pesticide to kill off bugs...

No thank you, I will not consume cancer causing chemicals.