Relapse/1st Major Struggle

Options
Ok I'm struggling big time. I've lost weight very slowly (45 lbs in 8 months) and I've had some ups and downs for sure, like over the holidays. Well, the last two weeks, I have fallen off the wagon totally. Been stress eating, had a week of travel, my bday, and just haven't gotten back on board. I think my motivation to keep my calories low (1800) is slipping. And definitely I've been under work stress. The next month is the busiest time of year. I'm just reaching out for tips and encouragement because I'm so scared that I'll mess up and gain it all back. I started at 261 lbs and have a ways to go. This particular time period just feels rough.

Replies

• wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    You know this is a stressful time of year at work, go ahead and give yourself permission to eat what your TDEE is for the next 1 - 4 weeks. Continue to workout but do not obsess about losing weight until your stress level is back under control.
  • thisisGG
    thisisGG Posts: 2
    Options
    whatever you do. DO NOT GIVE UP!. I have been there and still struggle with the why's and what is taking so long. Remember to give yourself a break. You did not gain that unwanted weight in just a year. It will take time. I like to switch up my menu when I get bored and start with the old habits of eat, eat, eat, eat. I get bored with the same, so i need to shake up the taste buds with new things. You are awesome, you are strong and you can do this!!! Stop making excuses and DO IT:) This is your time.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Highacceptance
    Options
    Relax first of all! The good news is you have not gained it all back. Take a deep breath and commit again to stay on track! This is a life long journey not a race. You know what to do and the best news ever is you can start your day over any time you want. I know its hard but when I just take care of what I can do today I don't get overwhelmed. Restart is a button we should have on our hand, as we are reaching for the sweets or chips. As a game player you know that the more you learn about yout appoinent the better chances you have to win. Think of you healthy eating as a game you are winning! I hope this helps! You can do it. just do it! ha
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job in achieving your weight loss goals and 45 pounds in 8 months is not slow at all...that's how to keep it off. I think those of us who start with the goal of losing 100 pounds or more are carried by momentum for a while and then we have to deal with reality that this is long term and sometimes a sense of deprivation can set in. We see other people seemingly eating anything they want and enjoying the good life while we count calories and log every morsel we ingest. It just doesn't seem fair. But hey, my mother always told me that not much in life is fair and I bet yours told you the same. We need to remember that it's not JUST losing weight we're after. Our goal is also to accept personal responsibility for our own health, to be mindful in not allowing those tempting food commercials and our cravings to derail us. We must recognize that if we cease to fight we're harming ourselves, enslaving our bodies to taste and a sense of saiety, and placing food over good health, relationships and even our quality of life. Does food mean more than that to us? I'm getting old and sadly I've learned these lessons late but I promise you if you stay with it, struggle with it and just keep going, then the days where you feel in control will be more numerous and you can claim yourself a winner. You can do this!
  • girlsgametoo
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for the advice. I'm going to try to eat at maintenance for a few weeks and see if that helps. I'm also up early so that I can fit in the gym today! These forums are so helpful. I felt overwhelmed for the first time and each of you took the time out to offer encouragement. It didn't even occur to me to just eat at maintenance until the busy month at work ends. That sounds more doable right now. Thank you!