Chinese food - quick meals?

Options
Hi all,

I'm Chinese and I live in Hong Kong. It's very difficult for me to follow some of the wonderful recipes that have been put up in the forum because a lot of stuff like cheese, yoghurt, protein bars, etc are imported and therefore super expensive here :( I was wondering if there are fellow Chinese/Asian people or just people who are familiar with Chinese/Asian food on this forum who have ideas about quick meals? Because I find it almost impossible to make a quick Chinese meal that I can bring back to work, that has moderate carbs, etc. Usually I end up eating rice a few times a day which hasn't been good for my diet.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• drocknoel
    drocknoel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion was actually going to be chicken fried rice, whoops!

Stir fry is going to be your best friend. Chicken, shrimp, pork. I haven't been to Hong Kong personally (definitely want to go through!) but I'm guessing rice is by far the easiest carb to get a hold of? A good alternative might be soba noodles/rice noodles. My mom is Filipino and taught me how to make pancit, which is basically just rice noodles.

http://pinchofyum.com/filipino-pancit
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of soups, or stir fry veggies and protein without rice or noodle base. It takes some getting used to but it's ok. Or I'll just do a smaller portion of rice with more veggies to compensate.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion was actually going to be chicken fried rice, whoops!

Stir fry is going to be your best friend. Chicken, shrimp, pork. I haven't been to Hong Kong personally (definitely want to go through!) but I'm guessing rice is by far the easiest carb to get a hold of? A good alternative might be soba noodles/rice noodles. My mom is Filipino and taught me how to make pancit, which is basically just rice noodles.

http://pinchofyum.com/filipino-pancit

Awesome!! Thanks so much - I'll definitely take a look at that recipe. Yes, rice is the main staple here. It's much much cheaper than other grains!!
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of soups, or stir fry veggies and protein without rice or noodle base. It takes some getting used to but it's ok. Or I'll just do a smaller portion of rice with more veggies to compensate.

Thanks! I ate less rice today. Do you think brown rice is better for weight loss (as opposed to white rice)?