Just upped my calories... so scary!

Options
After 51 days of logging (with a few slip ups, but what can a college student do), I have lost MAYBE 3 pounds. Three! I realized tonight that I'm constantly hungry, so I decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1600- a pretty terrifying jump for me. I've read a thousand times that eating more can help you lose more, so why am I so scared?!

Replies

• leelxxsh
    leelxxsh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I guess I also have a question- what should I expect? As in, will I gain a bit before I start losing (if this is the solution?)
  • beccamorty
    beccamorty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ahh I totally know where you're coming from!! I'm petite, too, so upping my calories was really scary, I went from 1200 to 1500. It's only been a few weeks though so I can't really comment, also I guess I'm in a weird losing but maintaining at the same time, since I'm just trying to slim down and build muscle/define. But my point is I totally understand it's scary!
  • walkerkt00
    walkerkt00 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Obviously what happens will depend on what you eat still :) If those extra calories are put towards hamburgers than you might have a problem. I upped as well. I do not always eat the whole 1500, but I like having some wiggle room for days where I am very hungry. Best of luck!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I started off eating 1400 calories..then I stopped losing. So of course, like most, I thought "i will lower my calories to 1350, 1300, 1200". Then I hit the plateau...for 8 long months.

Now I eat closer to 1800-2000 calories a day, losing weight consistently now :) and my hair stopped falling out!

For me, I did not gain any weight...well maybe the bit of bloat/water weight...but I quickly lost 2lbs just two weeks after increasing my calories (which after 8 months of no change after trying everything, felt amazing!)

FTR, I am 5'7
    sw - 250lbs
    cw - 189lbs
    gw - 150lbs
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I wasn't losing at 1200, so increased to 1400. It took my body three weeks to adjust, but the pounds started coming off. I had to go up to 1600 slow it down. It took another three weeks for my body to adjust to that change too.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some good insight for you. I also just upped my calories for the same reasons you listed. I am going to watch what comes up on this topic. I too am terrified of gaining, but the eating less theory has not worked for me - just made me feel awful. Hopefully upping my calories will be the trick. Time will tell.
  • leelxxsh
    leelxxsh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks all so much, you've been very helpful!
    Jen, I just messaged you. We have the same stats and I'd love to talk!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I am in the same spot right now. I didn't restrict myself to 1200 however a friend pointed out that I wasn't netting my BMR. On her advice I am trying to do that now and I too get scared because I feel like I'm eating so much.
  • wickedpursuit
    wickedpursuit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eating more does feel pretty terrifying if you're used to the lower amount. I did the same thing you're doing now and making the jump from 1200 to 1500 sent my crazy brain into paroxysms of panic and horror. It took a lot of self-reassurance - and a whole lot of faith in the science! - before the aforementioned crazy brain went back to muttering to itself, instead of screaming like an alarm. Once the weight started falling off, the fear went away.

All of that to say: it's okay and you can do it and you are not alone on this crazy adventure!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I did 1500 for six weeks, was losing faster than I wanted to, went up to 1600 for a couple weeks with the same result, then went to 1800 for quite a while. Finally switched to 2000 where I've been for ages now. Since I don't want to eat less, I plan to increase my exercise to get rid of the last pounds.
  • lottylulu1969
    lottylulu1969 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    While upping your calories, be sure to measure everything.. you would be surprised how much a little here and there add up. I've freaked out many times and upped my calories, only to lose nothing and then lower them again and wasted lots of time. Make sure that what your logging is actually what you're eating and that your eating less than what you burn.
  • francoll
    francoll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my coach last night about doing the same thing & I too am scared/freaking out about it...I know that what I am doing now is NOT working, but I also struggle to get to just 1200 calories a day & I am not hungry/tired/sluggish, etc and I workout 5-6 times/week. But I also know that my body has just adapted to this and it's not a good thing...so I will talk myself through this and give it a go. Good Luck to you!
  • MaeHills
    MaeHills Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ive just been lurking around the EM2WL (eat more to weigh less) website, and having spent (on/off) the last 5 or so years counting calories, usually around 1200-1400 max and not seeing a single result, I have decided to take the plunge. I figure that I have wrecked my metabolism, so I need my body to be comfotable with eating my TDEE calories and then maintain my weight at that 'normal' amount before I even consider creating a defecit. I'm sick of being constantly hungry and 'on a diet', so I'm going to gradually up from 1400 calories by 100 every week until I get to my TDEE of 2200. Then my hope is that a loss will ensue! Low calorie diets are just not, in my opinion, sustainable. Certainly not for me anyway. I've spent too long feeling deprived and miserable and not getting anywhere!

Rant over, sorry to have hijacked, and good luck with your increase. :flowerforyou:
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    You are only 19. Take it easy on your body. it is still trying to grow.
    Ive just been lurking around the EM2WL (eat more to weigh less) website, and having spent (on/off) the last 5 or so years counting calories, usually around 1200-1400 max and not seeing a single result, I have decided to take the plunge. I figure that I have wrecked my metabolism, so I need my body to be comfotable with eating my TDEE calories and then maintain my weight at that 'normal' amount before I even consider creating a defecit. I'm sick of being constantly hungry and 'on a diet', so I'm going to gradually up from 1400 calories by 100 every week until I get to my TDEE of 2200. Then my hope is that a loss will ensue! Low calorie diets are just not, in my opinion, sustainable. Certainly not for me anyway. I've spent too long feeling deprived and miserable and not getting anywhere!

Rant over, sorry to have hijacked, and good luck with your increase. :flowerforyou:
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is scary because you feel like you're going to undo all your hard effort!! I played around with calories a bit and found that I stalled at 1300-1500 (wished I would have upped them sooner!!), 1600-1700ish is my happy place, I feel full throughout the day and I'm not starving at night. I don't eat many of my exercise calories back. I lift 2-3 times a week and currently run 35 miles a week, walk about 1-3 miles daily. If I hadn't cut my calories I would have been done by now!!! Good luck!!
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I can't believe you don't still need more than 16-1700 with all that exercise. And you are 6 inches taller than I am, also.
    It is scary because you feel like you're going to undo all your hard effort!! I played around with calories a bit and found that I stalled at 1300-1500 (wished I would have upped them sooner!!), 1600-1700ish is my happy place, I feel full throughout the day and I'm not starving at night. I don't eat many of my exercise calories back. I lift 2-3 times a week and currently run 35 miles a week, walk about 1-3 miles daily. If I hadn't cut my calories I would have been done by now!!! Good luck!!
  • MaeHills
    MaeHills Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are only 19. Take it easy on your body. it is still trying to grow.

I know, it's a depressing thought that I have been starving it and wrecking it for such a long time. Poor body. I'm trying to make it up to it now by finally looking after it and feeding it..