Is Rest day from workout needed to maintain?

Options
Currently I'm trying to maintain my weight. I've been working out daily. Going to the gym to bike for 20-40minutes( depends on how much time I have on that day), 5-10minutes on the stairs climbing machine and lift light weights for 20times in weekdays and light aerobics for 30minutes on weekends. I wonder if rest day is needed for muscle recovery... Do you guys have rest day? Do you workout as much as when you were trying to lose weight or the same?
Now I also climb stairs to my classroom 4th storey around 3rimes a day and climb stairs back home (6th storey) and walk to my school.

Edit to add.

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm trying to maintain my weight. I've been working out daily. Going to the gym to bike for 20-40minutes( depends on how much time I have on that day), 5-10minutes on the stairs climbing machine and lift light weights for 20times in weekdays and light aerobics for 30minutes on weekends. I wonder if rest day is needed for muscle recovery... Do you guys have rest day? Do you workout as much as when you were trying to lose weight or the same?
    Now I also climb stairs to my classroom 4th storey around 3rimes a day and climb stairs back home (6th storey) and walk to my school.

Edit to add.

For anything other than pure cardio, you need a day or more per week to let the muscles recover (depending on how hard you've worked them). And it's a good idea to have a "Lazy day" from all exercise anyway. But actually, serious workouts slow down weight loss progress more than they do help it, at least in the short-term. But since you're maintaining, you should find it easy to stay in a happy medium.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    rest is neded to rebuild strength. rest is needed to give nervous system time to recover. rest is needed.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    rest is neded to rebuild strength. rest is needed to give nervous system time to recover. rest is needed.
    ^^^^^This
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I've been working out but instead of losing inches I look bigger. Can it be from the result of biking?
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    On rest day, do you really not do any exercise?
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Yep- really. I sometimes feel guilty about this but when I get back to my routine the next day, I have more energy to do it and give it everything I've got. I usually take 1-2 sometimes 3 rest days a week, just depending on how I feel. I like to workout roughly every other day.. or I'll do 2 on 1 off.. it's never the same schedule, it really just depends on how I feel that week. But it's definitely necessary to rest.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 rest days per week, but when I work out I work out hard. My muscles definitely need the recovery time and I need the lounge time. Honestly, sometimes I even take three rest days if my schedule is crazy. It hasn't hurt anything and I like those days when I get to sleep in or spend time with friends. For me, it's all about balance.
  • tanfit4life
    tanfit4life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    rest is important when you workout to see results-it helps rebuit strength and helps muscle to heal-I use to workout 7 days a week-but I had to learn balance-for me I workout 5 -6 days aweek and always take one day off to recover-I ran 6 days week and hit the weights 4 days aweek-but I never work same muscle back to back-so rest is the most important part of any rontinue good luck:smile:
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I rest 2 days aweek-use to do 7 days aweek had to find a balance-because I lift I need my muscle to recover-I do try to get some type of cardio in daily even if its running are a fast wlak-as for strength training 5 days aweek for sure-body need to rest
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing for an hour 3 days per week and it is a very intense workout so I go every other day. Usually I would go to Kickboxing Tuesdays, Thursdays and either Saturday or Sunday and the rest of the time I relax. I couldn't go 2 or 3 days in a row as my body needs time to recover!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have 2 rest days a week.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

If you have your heart set on staying active everyday, on your rest day try yoga/streches. They do wonders.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Today is my rest day. However I will still be moving around. I have to work and I am on my feet for 7 hours at work. Still moving, lifting and bending. But since this is my daily life, my body is use to it.

Tomorrow I will hit the gym again. I am now trying to do 2 days on and 1 day off. It is always going to depend on my schedule.

here is my plan

Day 1 - 30 min. circuit weights
    30 to 45 min. of cardio

Day 2. Tummy weight work out
    30 to 45 min. of cardio

Day 3 rest

Day 4 - Same as day 1

Day 5 - Same as day 2

Day 6 Rest

Day 7 cardio ONLY
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    OP, it doesn't appear that you're lifting weights enough to require a full rest day. Take one day a week for light cardio, that's called active rest and it's fine with your program.

Rest days are required to build strength, and allow your body to recover. I take one day for active rest (30-60 minutes of cardio) and one day for full rest (no scheduled cardio session, sometimes I go for a walk or a hike or easy horseback ride just because I want to, but it's not with intent of getting my heart rate up or focusing on tensing muscles as I go) each week. I spend the other 5 days doing heavy lifting and either interval or steady state cardio for 20-60 minutes, so I NEED those rest days for recovery and to prevent burnout.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I've found that yes, a rest day is needed. It'll help you recover!

I'm doing SL5x5 and training for a 10k. Currently my schedule is:

Monday - Run (Zero to 10K program)
    Tuesday - SL 5x5
    Wednesday - Run
    Thursday - SL 5x5
    Friday - Run
    Saturday - SL 5x5 in the morning, roller blading in the evening
    Sunday - REST

I've come to appreciate my rest days!
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Do you need a rest day if you are just walking every day at over 5KMs/day?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have 2 rest days per week...it is rest from vigorous exercise or otherwise activity that would tax my body. I don't sit on my *kitten* and do nothing...that is stupid IMHO. I tend to walk a lot, one of my rest days is always on a weekend and I take my boys to the zoo or aquarium or some museum or whatever...I just don't do anything vigorous or "structured" exercise, I just move my body. I've been maintaining for almost a year now...really, exercise is great for your overall health but your fitness regimen needs to be something you can do week in and week out pretty much the rest of your life...working out 7 days per week is not sustainable in the least and frankly completely unnecessary. You "burn" calories 24/7 and your body needs a break...exercise is good for you but also pretty hard on the body if you're doing anything moderately intense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Not really.....I walk at least 5K on my rest days....
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

No.
  • LittleMissFit83
    Options
    I think it's important to listen to your body and whether or not it needs a break. Today was a rest day for me because my body was starting to get real sore from me working out constantly.