Impressed with MFP

Options
So it's been a month since I started using MFP and for the most part I recorded everything, and I've lost 8 pounds.

I've gained an understanding of what a real portion size is and how many calories are in certain things I like, which tends to then steer me away from them lol.

Do you all think that is pretty good? 2 pounds a week. I hope I can keep it up. I think I'll start recording inches as well.

What are your first month results?!

Replies

• katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first month!! I would say that is a great success story. Stick with whatever you are doing, and if your loss slows down, reevaluate. I lost about the same in my first month. It has slowed a little in month 2...if I average over my first 50 days or so, I am at 1.5 pounds. Slow and steady wins the race. Remember 2 things...the first weeks you lose some water weight as well as you eat healthier, so your loss will be faster. And if you add resistance training you start putting on muscle and may lose weight slower for a time, while you are enhancing your metabolism. Your measurements will tell the tale in that case, and the loss WILL come if you are eating at a deficit.
  • greymane98
    greymane98 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't go for speed....you are doing this for the long haul. Two pounds a week is good.
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm down 10 lbs! Recording everything is making me aware of what I am eating and how much. I bought a scale and use measuring cups and spoons. It is definitely working!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thats great, good for you :)

you might also want to consider taking pictures! I took before pictures and then shamefully deleted them when someone saw them on my phone... I wish I still had them!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week is fantastic, and it's also at the top end of what a person should expect to be able to sustain. Just keep in mind that 1 lb a week is also fantastic. And as you approach your goal weight, 1/2 lb a week will probably be more appropriate.

BTW - Big congratulations to you!
  • CarobChip108
    CarobChip108 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes I forgot about that water weight lol

And definitely I think measurements with me most accurate in determining further progress.

And I do have a before picture but I have yet to take another one, I will try that out too!
  • CarobChip108
    CarobChip108 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! For your feedback (:

It really makes a difference knowing the nutritional info of meals. I always detested the thought of counting calories, but now I see how useful it is lol
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great! You'll be in maintenance before you know it. I don't think I lost that much my first month, but maintaining or losing is always better than gaining. Good luck. This does work!
  • MaggieTor3
    MaggieTor3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job, keep it up!

My weight loss record since I joined Saturday, Feb 1st is 5 lbs, then 4 lbs, then 2, then 1, 1, 1, then 0, 0.

But I haven't given up and I won't! I'm exercising too so I can feel muscles (itsy bitsy ones, lol). Like you, I'm much more aware of the nutritional content of my food and of portion size.

And now I find it hard to believe that I'm still even alive after using all the salt I did!

So if you find you slow down on your weight loss, or hit a plateau for a bit, just keep going anyway - supporting each other and never quitting is how we are all going to win!