what do you do when you want to eat something bad??

Options
Just curious really I dont think its possible for me to only everrr eat healthy food occasionally theres going to be something I reallu fancy the other day I really wanted ben and jerrys ice cream so I had some but how do you go about it? Do you have a cheat day or ifyou fancy ssomething bad do you just treat yourself and exercise a bit more? I want to be able to treat myself occasionally without thinking omggg iv ruined my whole diet!!!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Eat it - then plan the rest of your day around it :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat it. And probably double.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just curious really I dont think its possible for me to only everrr eat healthy food occasionally theres going to be something I reallu fancy the other day I really wanted ben and jerrys ice cream so I had some but how do you go about it? Do you have a cheat day or ifyou fancy ssomething bad do you just treat yourself and exercise a bit more? I want to be able to treat myself occasionally without thinking omggg iv ruined my whole diet!!!

if you want to eat something 'bad', at least scrape the mould off....
  • riveraurora
    Options
    But the mould is the best bit! :D
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat it...I plan for it and if I can't plan for it I don't worry about it.

IE Saturday night...I planned for my drinks but didn't plan for the quarter pounder BLT...but I logged it anyway...no biggy.

ETA: and I don't mean a moldy one...there are no bad food except for spoiled per above unless it's blue cheese I guess...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Nothing is bad. I include the foods I like within my calorie goals. if on a rare occasion I go over these goals I ignore and move on with my life because these things happen
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    eat it and plan around it.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There is no "bad" food. Eat it ALL, as a friend always says. Exercise off those extra calories, and make healthy choices a habit so you can treat yourself occasionally.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    define "bad"…

If I am going to eat certain higher calorie foods, then I make room for them in my day and try to maintain my diet…however, I do not think they are necessarily "bad'...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Make my wife very happy
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

I eat "bad" food on a daily basis. My diary is open, feel free to browse.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something really bad I have it but within reason. I often crave chocolate esp during ToM, I keep milk choc frosting in my cupboard just for that reason lol I have a teaspoon, its half a serving & I savor every bit. It works, craving is gone asap & I am good for the day. Its about 50 cals but better then a 300 cal choc bar. If I didn't have something I would crave it all day & when I finally gave in I'd prob eat everything in sight. Another reason why I don't keep it in the house anymore lol

Being healthy & losing weight isn't about denying yourself fully of things you love & enjoy. Its about teaching yourself that its ok to have it but in smaller portions & more as treats. A bar, piece of cake, cupcake etc isn't going to make you gain weight or ruin all your hard work if you have it once a week, having it every day all day would be the problem.

When I first started this journey (14mths ago), I didn't allow myself anything "junk" related until 6mths in, I just didn't trust myself to not eat whatever it was in its entirety. I gave myself the time to get rid of my cravings, build up my system & it worked. I went on vacay at the 6mth mark, I enjoyed some treats once a day (ice cream, chips or choc but never all at the same time) & I got in lots of walking on our vacay. I lost 3lbs over that week!

Its all about planning, work it into your day if you can although cravings aren't things that can be planned so do your best to curb it as low cal as you can & move on. Don't focus on it or feel guilty.
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Usually eat it then rearrange the rest of the day - oops.

Either that or I will down a pint of water and go and clean something because once I start I find it hard to stop and the cleaning spree ends up lasting 2 hours and then I fall asleep on the sofa before I have a chance to eat anything.

Or I sleep

But usually I just eat it
    :)
  • riveraurora
    Options
    Thanks everyone I also find of im too strict and don't allow myself any treats I just end up binging on loads of junk food so I think its better to just have it occasionally instead of trying to eat perfect all the time then going mad and pigging out! The reason I asked was because I was being sooo strict with myself that I went mad over the weekend and ate tons! If I allowed myself treats that probably wouldnt have happened!
  • AuroraWhite2014
    Options
    Girl eat it..you deserve to indulge ONCE IN A WHILE
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I plan treats into my calories, recently I have been running more so that really helps out. If I get a random craving usually I can take care of the probem better right away (i.e. make a smarter decision early on than pushing it off and breaking down and going hog wild later) so I will usually just do that. I eat over sometimes, oh well, I am still losing weight and I like to be a happy person :)
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat it. One "bad" thing doesn't make me fat. :)
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Eat the portion that tastes delicious, stop when it doesn't taste as good as the first bite, then LOG IT.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it's food, it isn't bad. Find out the calories and nutrient ratio from the carton and FIT IT IN!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eat the portion that tastes delicious, stop when it doesn't taste as good as the first bite, then LOG IT.

At what point does Ben & Jerry's taste bad? I'm thinking freezer burn, or the Chunkey Monkey, but that's all I got.