feeling great at 50

Options
Reaching the 50 milestone can be quite daunting. Over the years the weight and inactivity both creep up and suddenly you look in the mirror and .... The road to weight gain is easy and taking it off again so difficult. I've tried most things over the past few years and still cannot come close to my ideal BMI weight. Now I'm active fit and still battling with a jelly belly... any ideas on how to loose the love handles?

Replies

• dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya, brother! If anyone has tips to get rid of the "love handles", I'd love to hear them. But I have a feeling the answer is the same for a lot of fitness situations: perseverance!
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    have you been logging your food intake here? You've been a member for quite a while.

You just have to eat less than you burn. Use the tools here or on another site to figure out what your intake should be, and consistently eat less than that.

I've lost 12 pounds here in the last 12 weeks, and I'm 52. I've lost weight every week so far.

It's not easy, but it's doable.
  • Pokerdot2
    Pokerdot2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yep, l guess dwm2112 has it and that's just perseverance! There is so much to learn here on the web about health and fitness. I'm learning lots on mfp too! Body-weight training, stretches, oh those planks!!!!
    Yes, try 'planks' ?!!
    Good luck and keep/stay active!
    :smile:
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. I made my 'reinvention' at age 53 and since that time (with some bumps along the road) I've lost about 40 pounds and am now 5 pounds from my goal. I have never been this fit, nor have I felt better my entire life. That's what is truly important. However, to address your jelly belly question, running is what did it for me. I had always hated running. It was a fluke that I even started, but once I did I was hooked. The jelly belly melted off fast! Of course I supplement my cardio with strength training also. I shoot for doing strength a couple times a week, but I need to be more diligent about it. You don't say what you're doing now, but that's what works for me.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 shortly... Its not so bad after all...

But yes, I am looking for the jelly belly answers myself. After losing 65+ pounds I have lots of extra skin. Everyone says it just takes time...
  • rooneybugg
    Options
    Today is a new day to start with this diet. Last week I was trying the hcg diet with only getting 500 calories a day. Cooking for 6 people and not being able to eat hardly anything stinks. Maybe I can get the motivation from this site. It should be more flexible
  • Alastair007
    Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've been reducing calories for a long time and only net about 1500 /day. I hit a plateau and can't drop below by reducing calories any further. I've tried harder in the gym and pool and have got a reasonable body, minus the jelly belly , I think your right about running and will probably give it a try.