potato fiend

Options
Hi

I've just signed up on the advice of a friend.

I'm overweight and would like to get down to 9st by August when I'm going on holiday - I could use some friends to help to motivate me :flowerforyou:

I eat lots of potatoes - which my friend says I need to cut out if I want to lose the weight - is this true? I though they were good for you?

Thanks

Grundbirne

Replies

• Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi

I've just signed up on the advice of a friend.

I'm overweight and would like to get down to 9st by August when I'm going on holiday - I could use some friends to help to motivate me :flowerforyou:

I eat lots of potatoes - which my friend says I need to cut out if I want to lose the weight - is this true? I though they were good for you?

Thanks

Grundbirne

Don't listen to that guy.

Make them pry the potatoes out of your hand.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Potatoes can be part of a delicious, healthy diet.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    i really need a potato...with butter. right...NOW.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    OP, you should definitely look into this:

http://www.20potatoesaday.com/

Seriously, how can potatoes be bad for you? There's a whole diet based on them.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I actually do better on potatoes than on grain carbs, but that's very individual.

IMO - potatos don't make a person fat...too many potatos or to much cheese, sause etc on them will. It's all a question of the portion size and the amount of cals you had on a given day or the average over the week.

Eat a deficit of about 20% and you will lose, no matter what you eat.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good - drenching them in butter, cream or cheese may make it difficult to maintain a calorie defiit :wink: That is the only thing critical to weight loss - for health reasons eat proper nutritious food!
  • Grundbirne
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone - maybe I won't cut them out of my life just yet :drinker:
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Potatos are good for you. Lots of potatos are not.
  • ihad
    Options
    I enjoyed potatoes while losing the weight.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of potatoes.

I love potatoes.
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. Potatoes. Potatoes. I LOVE them in every shape and form and I eat them regularly. Four things I will NEVER give up:

Potatoes
    Bacon
    Mayonnaise
    Anything else.

It's calorie deficit. Pure and simple. Consume fewer calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight. You lose. The End.
  • ihad
    Options
    Potatoes. Potatoes. Potatoes. I LOVE them in every shape and form and I eat them regularly. Four things I will NEVER give up:

Potatoes
    Bacon
    Mayonnaise
    Anything else.

It's calorie deficit. Pure and simple. Consume fewer calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight. You lose. The End.

:heart: