Potatoes

Mygsds
Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
Hello to all of you. I have gained a wealth of information from this site and asking again another question.. I fit potatoes in my daily food intake and looking for other ways to prepare. I even have a baked potato for breakfast .. So ideas for any meals would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Replies

• gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    I dont know how helpful this is but i take a potato bag and microwave a potato 3/4 way done. then peel and cube it when cool. put enough chopped onion in to taste and put into cast iron skillet that i have sprayed with pam. (sometimes a small bit of water and put a lid on) as they finish cooking they will brown a little...turn gently and brown other side. at the last min or 2 add 2 pats of lite butter and let it melt down and help with the final browning...in the south this is called cottage fries. they taste a lot more sinful than they are! (I also LOVE potatos!!)
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    -Homemade potato and cauliflower soup, blend it to make it creamy without adding any fat!
    -Stuffed potatoes with vegetarian or regular chili
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    I cut up a cooked potatoe and put it in soup.
    Also bake them with carrots and onions topped with bb sauce or hot sauce.
    Probably have one a day.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    roasted red potatoes are yummy

1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    1/2 tsp salt
    2lbs red potatoes halved
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2tbsp chopped chives

1. Preheat oven to 450
    2. In a large plastic bag combine the soup mix, salt, red potatoes & olive oil. Close bag & shake until potatoes are fully covered.
    3. Pour potatoes into a medium baking dish bake 40 minutes or until fork tender, stirring occassionally.
    4. When ready to serve sprinkle with chopped chives
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Pommes puree, french fries, oven roasted potatoes, twice baked potatoes, potato chips, gnocchi
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    1) sauteed in duck fat with garlic and thyme.

2) mashed with plenty of pepper and some milk.

3) chopped into wedges: tossed in olive oil, chilli flakes, crushed garlic, paprika, salt, cracked black pepper and cook on a baking tray for 40 mins.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Thanks so much. You all never disappoint..
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Have you considered using potatoes as a pizza crust?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1238942-potato-pizza-crust

Very tasty and none of that crazy man altered grain. You know the grain we have today is vastly different from that of our ancestors? It's true, and that's why we need to avoid it. Simple substitutions like potato pizza crust are the wave of the future.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Potatoes are a super food, once worshipped by many ancient cultures!

Try fitting in more potatoes by blending a potato with some milk and honey. Freeze. Potato ice cream!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    1437891-pouton.jpg
  • The_Raspberry
    The_Raspberry Posts: 84 Member
    I love potatoes! I love potatoe gratin!

Here is a recipe I quickly googled, similar to how I usually do ut. Not so low in calories but very yummie. You can exchange some of the cream for milk for a slightly healthier recipe! This is a typical swedish gratin, but maybe it's the same all over the world. For christmas we traditionally make one where we add anchovis and top it with bread crumbs as well!

8-10 Potatoes
    about 3 dl (1.2 cups) Cream
    1 Onion
    2 Garlic Cloves
    2 dl (0.8 cups) grated Cheese, preferably Cheddar or Vasterbotten

Butter
    Salt & Pepper

1. Peel and slice potatoes and onion.

2. Bring the cream to a boil, add finely chopped garlic, salt and pepper.

3. Butter an ovenproof tray, then layer potato-slices and onion. Poor over the cream-sauce and top of with the cheese.

4. Bake in oven for about 1 hour at 225 celsius (440 Fahrenheit), if cheese begins to burn, add a lid of aluminium foil for the last 15-20 minutes..
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member

Try fitting in more potatoes by blending a potato with some milk and honey. Freeze. Potato ice cream!

Does one cook said potato first?
  • nz_deevaa
    Also, instead of mashed cauliflower you can substitute potato and make mashed potato.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    bump - I love spuds
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Champ - very popular in the North of Ireland, Steam or boil dry floury potatoes, (be careful if boiling as floury potatoes break up easy) in another small pan add milk, chopped spring onions (scallions) mainly the green part and butter, heat gently, then mash the potatoes and add the onion butter and milk. Delicious.

Par boil diced potatoes then add to a roasting tin and spray with 1 calorie oil, toss and spray again. Add a little salt if you like (I do), cook in a fairly hot oven until browned and crispy. 5 minutes before finished cooking, add a little garlic butter and toss through the potatoes - finish cooking, so tasty.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

Does one cook said potato first?

It's recommended to cook them in a potato sacrifice ritual once used by the Tartar people (or was it Tater?).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Also, instead of mashed cauliflower you can substitute potato and make mashed potato.

Sounds delicious.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Have you tried sweet potatoes?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,901 Member
    I like to add a finely diced potato to curry and casseroles. It boils down into a mush and thickens the sauce in a tasty way.
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Two things: maybe having potatos daily is not the best thing to do (carb overload), and LOVE the doggies in your profile pic :smile:
  • nz_deevaa
    Two things: maybe having potatos daily is not the best thing to do (carb overload), and LOVE the doggies in your profile pic :smile:

Says the guy who has chips in his user name!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Have you tried sweet potatoes?

I love sweet potato wedges - lovely :drinker:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    1437891-pouton.jpg
    [/quote

POUTINE!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Gnocchi with meatballs and marinara, top with cheese and bake until warm.

One of my favorite, fast, go-to dinners.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    if you're having it for breakfast, you clearly need to bake it, and top with crumbled bacon and an egg
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Anyway, like I was sayin', potatoes is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, potatoes-kabobs, potatoes creole, potatoes gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple potatoes, lemon potatoes, coconut potatoes, pepper potatoes, potatoes soup, potatoes stew, potatoes salad, potatoes and potatoes, potatoes burger, potatoes sandwich. That- that's about it.
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member

Says the guy who has chips in his user name!

Bum! Forgot about that :laugh:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Potatoes in the form of a perogy have got to be my favourite.

Perogies-May-7th-2009-3.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Potatoes are my favorite starchy tuber.