strength training vs cardio, 23 F 5'4", 155lbs

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm 23, 5'4", around 155 (haven't weighed in a few weeks). I'd like to be happy/healthy by if I'd have to put a number on it.I'd say around 125-135lbs.

My lower body is very toned. I carry most of my weight up top (arms,stomach,back). It's all excess fat.

I do mostly cardio (specifically elliptical most of the time) while incorporating some squats,crunches, leg lifts,etc for strength. My.focus is definitely cardio.

Should I be doing more strength training? Please help.

Also, I'm very active here-please feel free to add me as a friend so that we may do this together.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Definitely add in strength training. The way it was put to me is that cardio is what you do to become a smaller version of what you are right now, weight lifting is what you do to CHANGE the shape of what you are right now. Do both and you will have a smaller body that is the shape you want.

Before my most recent pregnancy and weight gain I was finally taking that advice and was finally seeing changes in my stomach that I never had being a cardio bunny. I am like you, I gain almost entirely in my belly and arms. Now that I am back on the wagon, I am doing exactly what I was doing before and it is making a difference. I have lost 1/2" in my lower stomach and 1" in my upper stomach in 1 week!

Keep doing the cardio, but add a good strength training routine 3 times a week and lift to failure, don't lift light weights. You are stronger than you think.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You aren't doing upper body strength work? You should do full body, even if it's in splits. It doesn't help burn fat in specific areas but you'll definitely benefit from having upper body as strong as lower body.
  • x__yummy
    x__yummy Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for confirming what I already thought.

What's good for a beginner like me?

Most of this, at least in the beginning, will be done at home.
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Chalean Extreme, though I know a lot of people on here aren't a big fan of it because it is not true weight lifting. However, it works for me, I am seeing great gains in strength and at least for now is what I am going to stick with until I outgrow it.

I have also been recommended Stronglifts 5x5, which has a beginner program and I believe it is free. Can't speak to how good it is though as I have never done it, but there is a lot of talk in the community section about it so I am sure you will find plenty of success stories on there for it.

Basically, just find a well rounded program and start lifting, anything is better than nothing.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Some of the Groups are for women who lift weights. Check them out!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Progressive strength training allows you to relatively preserve lean mass while reducing fat mass. Thus, if your goal is to look toned, then maintaining as much muscle mass is paramount.

When you can join a gym, look into Starting Strength or Strong Lifts - both are simple with few but important compound exercises and are great for all stages of training experience.
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion, warm up with cardio at a moderate rate, then do some strength training, then do some high intensity cardio for 15 minutes, and cool down 5 or 10.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women at home since November. I only have dumbbells ranging from 5-25 lbs and I have to do some major modifications to some of the exercises to make it work, but I think it is a good way to incorporate progressive strength training into your routine. If you already have some dumbbells at home, I would give it a try. If you have a weight bar, even better. If you are going to be making an investment into weight, I would pick up the book first and decide what will be the best purchase. Definitely having the bar would help.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do strong lifts 5x5 3x a week and HIIT 2x a week.

I've been doing it for 6months and dropped 5% BF...almost 7 inches and almost 20lbs but the best thing is I weigh 159lbs and wear a size 6 (areopostle) jeans...my size 9 silver jeans still "fit" but I need a belt after having them on for 10mins.
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    Here's my opinion, warm up with cardio at a moderate rate, then do some strength training, then do some high intensity cardio for 15 minutes, and cool down 5 or 10.

Can I ask the reasoning please?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Can I ask the reasoning please?

I'll comment since they may have missed it.

Warmup cardio so muscles are ready to lift.

Strength train to help retain muscle mass during a diet, and get stronger and look better, and cause great burn day after during repair.

Intense cardio to get benefits of it in short amount of time. Intensity is limited by fact muscles should be tired, but you do what you can.

Cool down to start aiding repair.

The benefit of this is you aren't doing cardio too intense on days between lifting, where it ruins the focus on lifting.
    If you tire the muscles the day before lifting doing something intense - so won't be able to lift as heavy. If you can't lift as heavy, you don't get the response of body needing to repair much.
    If you do intense the day after a good lift, you are ruining the repair process, wasting a good lifting workout effort, and likely tiring your your next lifting day.

The whole week turns in to just a big stress on the body without ability to get best benefits from the lifting. You got in to it too tired, and if you are able to do enough requiring repair, you kill the process the next day.

But you follow that advice above 3 x weekly, walk on the inbetween days for recovery, your lifting will have great ability to transform your body. Your diet takes care of the rest.