Mindless eating

Options
Looking for some advice on this! I have a horrible habit of grabbing something to eat while I'm on the phone. I just recently noticed this in the last week while tracking. I'll get on the phone with my friend and next thing I know, I've eaten something stupid, like a blueberry muffin, or a handful of crackers or anything that I just grab.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this and I'd love some strategies on how to make myself stop. Thanks!

Replies

• raholden88
    Options
    Maybe try to chew gum. Keep a pack handy, preferably something that lasts long for those long phone calls. Or get one of those hand exercisers. Rather than eat, strengthen your grip! Keep the wandering hand distracted.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Eat things that make you fuller for longer.....there is something called "the satiety index" that could be helpful.

Good luck.....
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have this bad habit at work. I sit at my desk and can just eat and eat. I learned that I did that when I started tracking on here. I've switched to having a glass of water at my desk at all times. I drink so much water I get up often, but I'm not snacking nearly as much as I used to!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Looking for some advice on this! I have a horrible habit of grabbing something to eat while I'm on the phone. I just recently noticed this in the last week while tracking. I'll get on the phone with my friend and next thing I know, I've eaten something stupid, like a blueberry muffin, or a handful of crackers or anything that I just grab.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this and I'd love some strategies on how to make myself stop. Thanks!

I used to do this all the time but I didn't even have the excuse of being on the phone! Although, the problem is the worst when I'm cooking dinner. The only way I've been able to break myself of this habit is to log every bite. I have to pay attention to what I'm eating if I have to log everything.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about food?....

It is gluttony and bad manners to scoff while on the phone
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You've made the first BIG step by realizing that you are doing it. I second the grab water instead suggestion.
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you know you're gonna be on a long phone call, chop up some carrot sticks or something lol. Or have a bowl of grapes handy in the fridge. They're fun to snack on, easy, and far less damaging to your daily limit than those 'why-do-they-have-to-have-a-whole-meal's-calories-in-just-one; I-love-them-but-goddamn' muffins.
  • cnl91_W
    cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    'why-do-they-have-to-have-a-whole-meal's-calories-in-just-one; I-love-them-but-goddamn' muffins.

Most accurate description of a muffin (aka torture device) ever.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Love the description of the muffin as well!:smile:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the food? Seriously, don't buy it or keep it in the house. If you have to have it, say for someone else, put it in a difficult-to-reach place so that you have to go through some effort to get it. It's a well known phenomenon that the more "barriers" there are to get to food, the less people will eat.

And in line with your title, check out the book "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink.
  • FUcalories
    FUcalories Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh, I used to snack on mini chocolate chip cookies from the vending machine! I try to bring in lots of fruit now. Instead of snacking on the cookies, I snack on grapes instead. I don't know what it is, but it's almost like potato chips. You start with one and just keep going. I prefer my grapes now instead of chips.