Side dishes besides just potatoes and corn

Options
2»

Replies

• mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My newest favorite side dish is roasted rutabagas. They have a slightly zesty flavor. Slice them like french fries and toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them until soft, flipping once.
    Sweet potatoes are also delicious roasted. Cut them into cubes and toss with fresh minced garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil (and red pepper flakes if you want a little kick). Then roast until soft.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I usually do rice and beans--small portions.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Zucchini, lentils, some raw salad at least once in a while
  • apw75
    apw75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Black-eyed peas with diced tomatoes and green chiles
    Lima beans
    Speckled butter beans
    Asparagus
    Carrots - steamed or honey glazed
    Sweet peas or sweet pea salad
    summer squash and onion sauteed in skillet w/a little olive oil
    Coleslaw or steamed cabbage
    Sliced tomatoes
    Collard greens
    Steamed broccoli
  • burgess_a
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great advice! It's hard growing up in the midwest where all the side dishes are corn and potatoes. I appreciate all the great advice and new veggies and rices to try! I have a picky fiance' who grow up in a small town on steak potatoes and corn.
    Thanks again everyone! I can't wait to try out all these new ideas!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    My newest favorite side dish is roasted rutabagas. They have a slightly zesty flavor. Slice them like french fries and toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them until soft, flipping once.
    Sweet potatoes are also delicious roasted. Cut them into cubes and toss with fresh minced garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil (and red pepper flakes if you want a little kick). Then roast until soft.

Saw rutabagas at the store today but I didn't know what to do with them! I may have to try this next time we have burgers or plain chicken.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Fries.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of cous cous. It's easy to make and very versatile. You can add nearly anything to it or just eat it up plain. YUM!!!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Homemade rice pilaf is one of my favorites... it pretty much goes w/everything... I had it with baked salmon cakes last night.. yummmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I need some help it seems not matter what I cook...chicken, meatloaf, hamburger etc.....the only side dishes I can seem to come up with is some sort of potatoes....mashed, baked, sliced and corn. Sometime green beans instead of corn. Just wondering if anyone has some great side dishes that I can introduce into my family besides the same dishes every night.

Thanks!
    Amanda

Everyone knows that green beans goes with meatloaf, not corn. It's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Plus bread and butter for anyone in the family who is bulking. :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am a huge fan of cous cous. It's easy to make and very versatile. You can add nearly anything to it or just eat it up plain. YUM!!!

I'm not a fan of any food that is spelled weird. :laugh:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You could try adding the corn to your mashed potatoes.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You could try adding the corn to your mashed potatoes.

Throw in some Fritos and some bacon and you've got a whole new main dish!