Couch to 5k with a stroller?

Options
kb1927
kb1927 Posts: 32 Member
Anyone else working on C25k with kids in tow? Or successfully finished? Any advice or suggestions about getting through the program when you're not the only one complaining about how long you've been running? Were you able to complete a 5k after the nine weeks, or did you make modifications? I'd love to connect with other beginner runners :)

We (my son, daughter, and I) finished day two of week two today, despite a pretty energetic meltdown (not me, this time). I'm hoping that running up hills pushing 80 pounds of stroller and toddler will only making running up a hill by my(lighter)self easier!

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25k, but I do not have kids in tow. Just wanted to wish you and the kids all the best!
  • SouthPawSings
    SouthPawSings Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 2 year old daughter and the biggest problem I have with my stroller is I tend to kick it if I go too fast. Also the side walks have bumps and uneven places where she might get heavily jarred if I were jogging and hit it. I am on the first week of couch to 5k but I do it on my treadmill for now. I save the outside work for the walks. I'm interested in anyone's solution if they have one, because obviously the treadmill is boring when there's nice weather to enjoy.
  • kb1927
    Options
    Hmm, I don't think I have ever had that problem, but mine has a handle that sticks out pretty far. We have some walking paths near our house that are pretty even, but I have jogged on the street to avoid the bumps. I wish I had a treadmill at home! (Although I have been enjoying the warm weather this week so far.)
  • Shaystack
    Shaystack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have recently began walking 2 miles per day it takes us about an hour. My youngest 20 months rides in the stroller and my oldest five walks with me. I originally planned it around my toddler's nap time thinking he would fall asleep but he stays awake and naps when we get home. The challenging part is my 5 year old. The 1st day there was a lot of complaints. The second day I knew I had to make it interesting for him. We brought a long his binoculars and magnifying glass and I told him we were going on an adventure. we walk past a pond on our way back and we bring bread for him to feed the ducks, his favorite part and "treat" for not complaining. I would love to get more miles in or at a faster pace but for now this is what works for us. I have already noticed a change in my body and along with adjusting my food choices I have lost weight.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not the same program, but I have been having fun with a (knockoff) stroller strides group. They've got me running(ish), doing push-ups, squats, lunges, etc. It has helped me progress a lot faster than I had anticipating
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Bumping to answer on my way to work.
  • kb1927
    Options
    I have recently began walking 2 miles per day it takes us about an hour. My youngest 20 months rides in the stroller and my oldest five walks with me. I originally planned it around my toddler's nap time thinking he would fall asleep but he stays awake and naps when we get home. The challenging part is my 5 year old. The 1st day there was a lot of complaints. The second day I knew I had to make it interesting for him. We brought a long his binoculars and magnifying glass and I told him we were going on an adventure. we walk past a pond on our way back and we bring bread for him to feed the ducks, his favorite part and "treat" for not complaining. I would love to get more miles in or at a faster pace but for now this is what works for us. I have already noticed a change in my body and along with adjusting my food choices I have lost weight.

Would he have fun (and be a little happier about long distances) riding a bike? We got my three year old a balance bike about nine months ago. It took him several months to get the hang of it, but now he loves it. He slows down on it when we're going up hill, but still moves much faster than when he walks. When he rides on flat stretches or downhill, I jog slowly (with toddler in the stroller) to keep up with him. He can do two or three miles, especially if we stop at playgrounds along the way. I wish we had a duck pond to stop along too :)
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    All the races I have ran in the last 3 years have been with a stroller, 5K with the stroller about 31 mins. Watch your stride, it changes while pushing a stroller but man oh man when you aren't pushing it and running, LET IT FLY! Just make sure you start at the back of the pack so you don't bump someone. My daughter absolutely loves running with me and the example you are setting will be for life!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I thrifted a jogging stroller and completed the Zombies Run! 5K training last year. A jogging stroller makes a world of difference when it comes to running with a regular stroller!
  • loveme724
    loveme724 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried with the kids yet but I have brought a double stroller for just that reason (I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old). When we do walks, the stroller is harder to turn so I am a little weary about trying it during my runs. I am on week six (jogging outside). I started training on the treadmill first and trust me...there is a big difference in the way your body reacts to treadmill versus outside. I'm enjoying outside more! I have my first 5k on April 26 so I am excited!!! Good luck to you!!!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it can be done, but it's very hard. The weight isn't so bad as the stroller messing with your stride. I never completed the whole 9 weeks. I always got hung up on week 7. I will say that I did better once I just slowed my pace down to what I could handle constantly for 30 minutes (it was more of a walk with bounce). Eventually, I just added the 10 minutes I needed to finish the 5k part.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm not a new runner. But i started doing a c25k program with my daughter in the jogger when she was 1.5. She is now 4 and we still run together... a lot.

The biggest challenge is child management. But if you keep the kid(s) happy, then mommy is happy. To this day i still try to work it out so that she is tired when we go out so she is likely to go to sleep. If a nap isn't going to work, I found that giving my daughter a special toy that she picked out that she can only play with in the stroller works well. Also keeping her engaged during my run helps. We run by the water a lot so she can look at boats, crew teams and birds and such. When we come to a fork in the road, I let her choose the path. I often plan my route so we can end at the park for her after. And she often wants to run too, so the deal is mommy runs, then she runs. When you are doing c25k, it's only 30 minutes, so using some of these strategies should help. But, I only have to deal with the one kid, so it is easier.

Anyway, to further answer your question, when i first started c25k, it didn't take. I kept getting sick and having to repeat weeks (but i have asthma and my daughter is in daycare and brings home everything). When i went back to it the following year, I found it was easier to run until I couldn't, which was 15 minutes. Then i just added 5 minutes to my runs every week until I was at 30. In that respect you have to find what works for you.

Now 3 years later, I'm still running. In the warmer months, I run the 5 miles from her daycare home about 3 days a week. We run 4 miles to her ballet class every Saturday. When i can't find care (probably once a month) I bring her on long runs up to 12 miles (I couldn't do 15+ mile runs with the stroller even if she were willing). And for half marathon #6, I found a race that allows jogging strollers. So we are going to spend 2 nights in a beach hotel with an indoor pool, I'll put a new movie on her Kindle and we'll have a nice scenic 2 hour 15 min run and mommy/daughter vacation time after.

Anyway, it is completely possible to learn to run and make good progress with it while mostly running with the stroller. Just keep at it, remember progress may not be as fast, but when you get to run solo, it's so much easier! Have fun!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I have an 18 month old and would love to do the c25k, I do go to the gym and use the treadmill but I am just not comfortable taking my hands off the bars lol I just don't feel balanced enough on it yet and that is just walking. So I would like to do it at home especially with the nice weather finally here in NC. I am going to look into a jogging stroller (consignment/thrift) the stroller I have just doesn't seem sturdy enough with the wheels for me to jog.
  • Shaystack
    Shaystack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would love for him to ride his bike, he is still learning to ride and hasn't quite mastered it yet. He need to build up his confidence. He gets really nervous if a car passes by him. :smile: We currently have snow but when the weather gets nice again dad will come out with us in the evenings, our big boy will get more one on one from dad and hopefully before summer he'll be ready to ride along side us