Upcoming Race

Options
LoraF83
LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
I'm training for a very competitive potato sack race. The race will require me to hop for 1.5 miles in my potato sack. It takes place 2 months from now.
I've been practicing with my potato sack, trying to gradually increase the distance every week. Can anyone recommend any other exercises I can do to help build my stamina and increase the strength of my hop? I really want to place in the top 3 of my age group. Help!

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Carb up with potatoes!!!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope? Jumping jacks?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts.

and ice cream

these are the answers to all of life's questions.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    bench jumps
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts.

that's broscience
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    OP, you can't just run outside and start hopping in any old potato sack. I hope you went to hopping store and got properly fitted. The wrong sack can just cause you all sorts of pain.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Jump lunges
  • LoraF83
    Options
    squats and deadlifts.

That sounds like a great plan! Should I do them with bags of potatoes? I don't have access to a gym or free weights....but I have all these sacks full of potatoes that I bought so I could train.

How many potatoes should I start with? One in each hand?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts.

That sounds like a great plan! Should I do them with bags of potatoes? I don't have access to a gym or free weights....but I have all these sacks full of potatoes that I bought so I could train.

one?

that's cardio.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    squats and deadlifts.

one?

that's cardio.

So two then?

They are pretty big potatoes. They probably weigh at least half a pound each. I don't want to get bulky like a russet. I'd rather stay long and lean like a fingerling.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    In training you should actually get into a sack full of potatoes and start jumping. The increased resistance will help build your jumping strength. At the end of each training day eat one of the potatoes. This will replenish your glycogen and fuel you for the next day of training. By the time you've emptied the sack you'll be ready to dominate your race.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I say jumping jacks. and Box jumps.

You may want to practice with elbow pads and knee pads on at first... until you become an accomplished sacker.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    In training you should actually get into a sack full of potatoes and start jumping. The increased resistance will help build your jumping strength. At the end of each training day eat one of the potatoes. This will replenish your glycogen and fuel you for the next day of training. By the time you've emptied the sack you'll be ready to dominate your race.

That is genius! Are you some kind of potato sack race super star? You seem to really know what you are talking about.
  • sjohnny
    Options

That is genius! Are you some kind of potato sack race super star? You seem to really know what you are talking about.

Lets just say I've trained several world class potato sack racers. I'm actually quite a wonder in the sack.
  • LoraF83
    Options

Lets just say I've trained several world class potato sack racers. I'm actually quite a wonder in the sack.

I think I need to find some local sack racers to show me their technique. It's going to take a lot of practice, but I want to be really good in the sack too.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Racist thread is racist...
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Racist thread is racist...

I see what did there.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    April Fools!!
  • sjohnny
    Options

I think I need to find some local sack racers to show me their technique. It's going to take a lot of practice, but I want to be really good in the sack too.

Practice makes perfect.