Zumba for beginners

Options
There's been a Zumba craze in my area lately. Yes,I know this is nothing new but it takes a while for things to make it out here in the country!! Anyway,it's spiked my own interest. Only problem with me taking a class is my total lack of coordination. I'm much better attempting things like that in the privacy of my own home with only my 6 yr old looking at me like I've lost it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what dvd or possible Wii games to get that would be suitable for beginners? I've tried a couple videos on YouTube and really enjoyed them. I am guessing though,they are very toned down from an actual dvd. Any input would be great! Thx!

Replies

• Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would just go to the zumba classes. I am with you, I have absolutely no coordination whatsoever. I made my best friend go with me the first couple of times so I could have someone to laugh at me, with me haha! What's good about zumba, at least the classes at my old gym, was that they were 8 week long "sessions". The instructor would start with basic moves and each week add in 1 or 2 new ones. This made it easier to follow along and get the hang of it. Seriously though, after a couple classes it's easy and you realize how much fun it is you don't care how silly you look- there were ALWAYS first timers in my classes, which made it easier :)
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Go with the attitude that you're going to have fun. If you mess up laugh and keep moving. The whole point of classes like that are to get you moving and burning calories while having a good time. It makes the time go by fast and you're more likely to keep going. Just get in the back and have fun. I say get in the back but that's only if you're shy... I'm personally a get in the front person. This way I'm not struggling to see the instructor. I don't care if I'm out of step though LOL.
  • nappsmcgee
    nappsmcgee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dancer either. But Zumba is so fun! Like everyone else, I'd recommend a class (depending on the instructor, it can be so much fun and high energy!). But if you're truly more interested in the DVDs, I'd say go for any of them. I have Exhilarate at home, and it's pretty great for learning Zumba basics.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest going to a class! I go to a cardio dance class at my gym similar to Zumba. I was pretty lost the first day, but the moves repeat over and over through each song (this is true with Zumba classes too), and a lot of the songs are the same each week, with new ones here and there. I know in some classes the instructor turns the lights down and brings disco balls and stuff which makes it seem like you're at a dance party but completely sober! My class is on Monday nights and it's such a great way to get rid of the stress of the beginning of the week and just dance it out. We all look like lunatics and nobody cares. :)
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm not too into zumba myself, but I had sent this to my mom awhile back after seeing someone post it on here. She said she enjoyed it.. so maybe this is worth checking out?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/866590-fun-free-at-home-zumba-workout

Hi everyone! I pieced together a fun zumba workout from youtube videos! They're fun clips and songs from various instructors. It's a 44 minute workout and I just finished it. It was really fun and you don't need much space to do it. I did it in my living room and I've got a pretty small apartment. Please feel free to share!

ETA Sorry should've read your post better... I don't know if this will help you too much :) I'll leave the link just in case though.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    There's been a Zumba craze in my area lately. Yes,I know this is nothing new but it takes a while for things to make it out here in the country!! Anyway,it's spiked my own interest. Only problem with me taking a class is my total lack of coordination. I'm much better attempting things like that in the privacy of my own home with only my 6 yr old looking at me like I've lost it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what dvd or possible Wii games to get that would be suitable for beginners? I've tried a couple videos on YouTube and really enjoyed them. I am guessing though,they are very toned down from an actual dvd. Any input would be great! Thx!

There's no such word as "Toned"
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The other thing to keep in mind is that no one else is really watching you; they're more into doing their own thing and making sure they do the moves right and such. I do a kickboxing-style class and had the same concerns about my lack of coordination, but once I realized this, I relaxed and really learned to enjoy the class. Go, have fun, relax, and the coordination part will come in time. :)
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've got zumba 2 for the Wii and absolutely love it. I'm very uncoordinated so yeah I ban the hubby from the room when I'm doing it so we don't giggle and mess up my workout lol.

I'm slow to learn the steps as well and found the game to be pretty advanced for my level so this is how i've progressed with it:

I stayed in the section where they teach you the moves for weeks. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks. I'd set a timer for a half an hour and just do that.

Then there is a section in the game where you can customize your playlist for a self made "class". I picked all the low intensity songs. Now it's been maybe two months and I've added in like 5 more songs to the low intensity ones and I'm doing this an hour. So I know about half the songs pretty well.

When I've learned those well I'm planning to do the pre-setup classes, maybe in a few weeks. I'd recommend getting it, it's alot of fun.
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options

There's no such word as "Toned"

Toned down: to become or cause to become softened or moderated.
  • jessmello03
    jessmello03 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!! I may have to give a class a try if I can talk someone into going with me!! One of the classes uses a black light so I could easily hide my uncoordinated self. lol I never really thought of the fact of everyone watching the instructor to see the moves!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I bought the Zumba Gold (seniors) DVD a while ago. Discovered I was just as uncoordinated as I thought, and put it aside. I'm ready to try again as I've lost some more weight and could probably make it longer than a few minutes. I figure when I can make it through the DVD, then I'll try a class.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I understand the situation you are in, very well! I recently started Zumba at home using the DVD set because the thought of going to class is enough to put me off!

I found that it was very difficult in the beginning with co-ordination and a wise friend who has been going to a lovely Zumba class for a number of years told me that as long as I was moving, I was doing it right!

It's been 12 weeks since I started and I can now say that I can do most the moves and make 3 songs :) I also found YouTube videos very helpful for softer introductions to songs and moves.

They say that there's nothing to it but to do it! I wish you every success in starting your new exercise regime :-)
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I was nervous for the same reason, but honestly no one in my class is that good besides the instructor. One girl goes and I think she's not even trying to do the right moves, and no one cares. Just don't accidentally hit anyone, and you're fine. Plus it's more fun in a group setting.

I'd suggest just going. In fact, I'm going tonight!
  • NattieRose80
    NattieRose80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I started with the Exhilarate Zumba DVD that I bought from an infomercial. I love it! I was too embarrassed to go to a class for over a year. I finally bit the bullet and went. Everyone starts out not knowing a thing since the instructors either do their own chorography or learn from the corp headquarters of Zumba. Once you start going you will start to learn the moves and feel more comfortable it takes a good 5 times to really start to love it. Then the instructors will add new songs and everyone has to learn all over again. You can modify any moves that you are not comfortable with. Zumba is all about having fun and Moving!
    You can do it!!!!!! You will get addicted "Trust me"

:)
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm totally not a dancer or coordinated, but I love zumba. It all depends on the instructor - I've been to classes that were just blah, can't follow along, feel lost, and don't get a work out, and to ones I love, like my current one, where I'm bouncing around, and am exhausted by the end. My current class also happens to do relatively simple moves, repetitively. Quite a few of the songs carry over from week or week, but even when she does a new one, she demonstrates clearly enough that it's easy to pick up.

So, my advice is to go out and try a class. If you can, get there beforehand and tell the teacher you're new to zumba. S/he should welcome you and tell you what will be happening, that she'll demonstrate low impact and high impact moves, to follow along as best as you can, and to keep moving and have fun!

If you're completely lost, try a different teacher, especially if there are a lot of options out there.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I actually just posted about Zumba on my blog today
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2014/04/zoomba.html

I never thought I would dare try Zumba ... I can't dance. But then there was a class offered at our church, it was close, convenient and free. It was hard to find a reason not to give it a try. I wasn't super impressed the first time, but I went back and now I'm addicted. I go three times a week to three different groups. As others have said, the instructor can make a world of difference! The steps can be a bit intimidating the first few times, but you soon learn some basic steps.

I've tried some DVDs and WiiZumba ... like you said, I figured I'd be more comfortable in my own home, no one watching. But there IS something about the group dynamic that just adds energy. I don't think I'd ever do a solid hour at home alone, but it's no problem in the group.

Definitely give it a try! *Ü*