How much sodium causes water retention?

Options
Hi, this may seem like a dumb question, but I was wondering a few things.

1. I know an extra 400mg of sodium will cause 2lb of water weight gain, does this mean that 200mg of sodium will cause a 1lb water retention? Or is that not enough to cause any?

2. Last week I upped my sodium intake up around 400mg from my usual and have kept it there, I noticed about a 2lb jump on the scale the next day (obviously water). Now I know that water weight goes away once you decrease your sodium back to the normal amount ( for example if you had a big day and consumed 400mg more than your usual, then went back and decreased back down to your normal sodium, after a few days it would go away.) but what if you did not decrease your sodium back down, what if you kept it at the same amount, would your body continue retaining the 2lb of water, or would it eventually go away despite you continuing to eat that extra 400mg.

Anyone got ideas?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and get your sweat on and it won't matter. My sodium intake is roughly double the recommended daily amount.

Rigger
  • mbennett024
    mbennett024 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Since I've been eating healthy my sodium level usually stays at less than 1000 mg a day. Excess sodium can be hard on your cardiovascular system. I've noticed a lot less bloating and my legs aren't so puffy anymore. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to sodium. I am very sodium sensitive but adding 400 wouldn't be enough to see a change. I shoot for under 2000 and if I am over by 1000 I see a 2 lb gain. (Recorded and charted many times)

Sodium retains water no matter what so I would think if you upped it and stayed there that you would continue to hold that level of water until you lowered your intake.