this time right

Options
dperret1975
dperret1975 Posts: 21 Member
hi guys,

Since a veeeeery long time I have been trying to lose weight (although very little, about 10 lbs) and keep it off. I managed to lose all the weight a couple of times, sometimes I manage only 5 and sometimes just 2. But every time I eat it right back on with binges. I realize now I have always tried dieting by restricting my calories (not more than 1500) too much and exercising too much. Hence the binges. This time I would like to do it differently. I would like to focus less on a goalweight of 124 (for some reason always had this figure in mind)
I am just wondering, since I weigh 134 with a height of 5.6 (bf% of 24) i don't have much to lose and i think that the"excess" weight I have now is due to binges, do I set my self on a certain calorie deficit with certain macros or should I just concentrate on eating healthy and exercise? I would really like to get my bf% to 18-20...
I am 38, have 3 kids so move an awful lot :-) and love running. I also do HIIT (weights) training with a coach 2x a week.
I just would like to do it right this time, without the guarantee of failing once again. The binges are pretty much breaking me up and the low calorie diets are making me tired, angry, cold, annoyed and give me a incredibly low heartbeat :huh:
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Replies

• dperret1975
    Options
    anybody :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: ?????
  • TatyanaS63
    Options
    I have the same problem! Binges always bring me down and makes me feel like giving up no matter how much hard work I have accomplished. What works for me is planning out my meals so I am never hungry and also staying busy so I don't get bored. MFP community support has also helped a lot for motivation. Good luck!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You are already at a health weight and BF% but I get wanting to lower the body fat number (I'm in the process of doing the same thing). I have similar stats to you (5'5" and weigh 124 with BF at 23%) and with that being said it took me a good 5-6 months to lose that last 10 pounds! Perhaps, rather than focusing on losing weight you focus on body composition. I would suggest incorporating weight training and core work into your routine. This is where I really started to see my body composition change. For lifting I like either the New Rules for Women or the Stronglifts 5x5 programs. I've done both and liked them. I would also suggest eating in moderation rather than cutting out foods. I eat anything I want but I use portion control (counting out the cookies or chips or measuring out the ice cream). Maybe that will help with the binges if you know you can eat it and aren't depriving yourself of things?
  • dperret1975
    Options
    Hi SARgirl,

I think you 're right and I should be focusing on body composition change but if I still want to lose weight I would definitely have to work in a small deficit right? I was thinking cutting about 400 calories per day. With a TDEE (I would like to use this method) of about 2200 my daily calorie intake would be 1800.
    When I see that we almost have the same stats but I am 10 lbs heavier it means that I already have a pretty big muscle mass. Don't you think that Stronglifts etc. would create too much muscle?
    Yeah, I should definitely build in some treats in my diet so I don't constantly crave it so much. Sometimes I thhink I might be eating too "clean" which ends up being pretty boring.....

Good luck Tatyana, I really hope you get over those binges. They can pretty much ruin our lives.