Taking antidepressants and trying to lose weight? Join me

Options
axela84
axela84 Posts: 11 Member
So the thing is... I have been taking Seroxat (paroxetine or Paxil as it is known more often) since late 2008. I have gained 100+ pounds since then... I have read a lot about how people have a hard time losing weight while on paroxetine, and it's such a big worry for me now that I'm trying to lose this huge amount of weight I've gained over the last 5 years...

I had lost a lot of weight before taking paroxetine so I know I can (or at least could) do it, but it I wonder how it will go now that I am trying to get my old body back while still taking this bloody pill.

So I would love for someone with the same issue keep me company while going through this rather difficult journey of weight loss... It's difficult doing it on my own, support and reassurance is a must!

O perhaps you have any optimistic stories to share how you lost weight while taking AD? I just want to know it's not impossible - like many forums and message boards seem to claim...

By the way, I am 30 years old, 171cm (about 5'6), SW 135.1kg (around 298lbs), CW 131.4kg (around 290lbs) - lost about 8lbs in a week but I've been on a quite strict diet of 1200kcal which would make me think I could've lost even more since my weight is so huge...

Replies

• vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    I have just weaned myself off my antidepressants (after a year). I am not sure if it was the cause of my weight gain? That said, it had horrible side effects and it was hard to get off. And I too would like to lose the weight I have gained.

Stay strong!!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm still on my anti-depressants and I have lost over 80lbs. I will never give up my anti-depressants. between that and running, I would lose my mind with out them.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    i was on fluoxetine lol, which is like the best diet pill in the world, so i can't relate there. BUT i'm on the depo provera shot, which although hasn't made me gain, makes it much harder to lose imo, because I used to lose much easier than i do now
  • axela84
    Options
    I have just weaned myself off my antidepressants (after a year). I am not sure if it was the cause of my weight gain? That said, it had horrible side effects and it was hard to get off. And I too would like to lose the weight I have gained.

Stay strong!!

Congrats on being 'clean'! This is my dream actually, but I'm just not there yet psychologically... What meds were you on? How's weight loss going for you? Something I read regarding my AD was that a lot of people didn't start losing weight after coming off paroxetine until being 6-8 months drug free.
  • axela84
    Options
    Wow, that's a real inspiration for me! How long did it take you to lose this much?
  • axela84
    Options
    i was on fluoxetine lol, which is like the best diet pill in the world, so i can't relate there. BUT i'm on the depo provera shot, which although hasn't made me gain, makes it much harder to lose imo, because I used to lose much easier than i do now

Isn't it ironic how something that's supposed to help us makes it a whole lot worse in other aspects of our lives??...
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started to lose weight in January. I got on AD in February and I'm still losing weight. I think it all has to do with your commitment and ability to stick with it your goal. One of the biggest side effects of the pill I'm on is weight gain. I didn't want that to happen, so I just work extra hard to make sure I stay within my calorie goal and I exercise.

Unfortunately I came in the middle, and didn't gain the weight then try to lose it. But, I can say that I haven't gained a single ounce because of AD, I've lost.
  • nnix64
    nnix64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I currently take Trazadone and Cymbalta and have been on both for years. I started using mfp in late January and I have lost 9 lbs. I will not quit taking either of them and I totally believe it is possible to lose
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    So the thing is... I have been taking Seroxat (paroxetine or Paxil as it is known more often) since late 2008. I have gained 100+ pounds since then... I have read a lot about how people have a hard time losing weight while on paroxetine, and it's such a big worry for me now that I'm trying to lose this huge amount of weight I've gained over the last 5 years...

I had lost a lot of weight before taking paroxetine so I know I can (or at least could) do it, but it I wonder how it will go now that I am trying to get my old body back while still taking this bloody pill.

So I would love for someone with the same issue keep me company while going through this rather difficult journey of weight loss... It's difficult doing it on my own, support and reassurance is a must!

O perhaps you have any optimistic stories to share how you lost weight while taking AD? I just want to know it's not impossible - like many forums and message boards seem to claim...

By the way, I am 30 years old, 171cm (about 5'6), SW 135.1kg (around 298lbs), CW 131.4kg (around 290lbs) - lost about 8lbs in a week but I've been on a quite strict diet of 1200kcal which would make me think I could've lost even more since my weight is so huge...

I heard that Prozac is great for making your appetite vanish. Maybe you could try it out?
  • owena535
    owena535 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Axel, just a note of support -- the weight gain from antidepressants is real and can be a real problem for those of us who need to take these medications.

I'm petite with a small frame, and gained 10 pounds on a relatively short course of Paxil (I was very active and in my early 20s at the time - I would have gained a lot more weight on Paxil it now). I was switched to Remeron (mirtazapine) and gained another 15 pounds even with constant efforts to monitor calories and exercise -- on Remeron, I was hungry all the time. I finally was switched (with great difficulty because of withdrawal) to the SNRI Effexor (extended release). This medication controls my depression and is relatively weight-neutral. Getting off Paxil can be very difficult, but if you haven't already done so, you might talk with your doctor about whether a different medication that's more weight-neutral could work for you. Paxil was wonderful for my combination of depression and anxiety -- but the weight gain and other side effects were so difficult.

Eating a high-fiber diet with healthy fats was the most helpful modification I found for dealing with the hunger and weight gain on Remeron. Of course, this strategy is helpful in general for weight loss, but fiber and moderate amounts of healthy fats helped control my hunger like nothing else. I also drink a lot of high-quality tea now, which I find satisfying and helps control "munchies."

Good luck!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a real inspiration for me! How long did it take you to lose this much?
    6 months.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I first started gaining weight back in 2006 when I started taking Celexa and birth control pills. There were other things going on in my life at the time, including huge stress, an unfaithful boyfriend, my dad being diagnosed with melanoma, and quitting smoking. I don't know which of these caused my weight gain, but I suspect a combination of all of the above.

I'm currently on Effexor and losing weight. It hasn't been an easy proposition, but I don't think my antidepressant is making it any harder.

Have you considered switching to another drug? It seems some cause weight gain while others don't. (And just for the record, I would not recommend Effexor. It's a great AD for me, but it's got lots of drawbacks that would seriously inconvenience others.)
  • bcsurvivorptl
    Options
    Hello, I'm a newbie. Just joined today. I'm a 1 year breast cancer survivor and am taking Lexapro and anxiety medication. I've gained weight since I'm now able to eat more. I am currently still going through chemo treatments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Many times when people take medications, they start to feel better and they see an improvement in symptoms. (feel better---> appetite returns---> eat more food---> eat too much---> gain weight). It may be a bit harder to lose weight while on medication, but it is not impossible.

And on another note:
    It is not a good idea to stop medication without medical supervision.
  • Pusheenthecat
    Pusheenthecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I told my Dr. to make sure I was on a antidepressant that didn't make me gain weight. Did you talk to your Dr.?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I'm on multiple antidepressants, the depo shot, and I have PCOS. Lol I feel lucky to lose any weight at all. It takes a lot of work but losing weight helps pretty much everything.

Some antidepressants can help with weight loss rather than hinder it. I actually lost a few pounds from wellbutrin. I told this to my psychiatrist who looked me up and down and said, "it's not like you couldn't stand to lose a few pounds." Dafuq? He looked like a fat little leprechaun so he was one to talk. Lol
  • axela84
    Options
    My doctor is abroad at the moment (and has been for the past year), looking forward to making an appointment with her when she's back. To be honest I am too scared of all the horrible side effects of paroxetine withdrawal to try and change to another drug...

It's very encouraging reading your posts though! Perhaps I can do something about my weight after all...
  • rubyshipps
    rubyshipps Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor or dietician, but sometimes mood problems are caused by dietary issues. I am a grad student, full time mom and gained a ton of weight. I was super depressed and taking meds for a while and they only helped a little. I started to clean up my diet by avoiding processed food, gluten and dairy and within a week my energy and mood did a complete 180. It turns out I have a gluten AND dairy intolerance and had been abusing my body my entire life by continued consumption. This doesn't mean cleaning up your diet would have the same result, but hey...it doesn't hurt to try! If you were going to try it, I would go about 10 days. If you don't notice a change in mood and energy, you may not have an intolerance.
  • melissarmonroe
    melissarmonroe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I take Zoloft and have to. Went off it when I was pregnant and was a beast. Mine is for anxiety/short temper not depression. I don't know if going on that pill that led to my weight gain or getting married, getting comfortable and then pregnant led to it. It all happened over the same 3 yr time span.

That being said, in the last 4 weeks I have lost 7 pounds while still on it, so I think it's possible to lose, though I have been worried that it might hinder me. But, so far so good, so don't let it control your thoughts and don't believe everything you read!
  • axela84
    Options
    I am not a doctor or dietician, but sometimes mood problems are caused by dietary issues. I am a grad student, full time mom and gained a ton of weight. I was super depressed and taking meds for a while and they only helped a little. I started to clean up my diet by avoiding processed food, gluten and dairy and within a week my energy and mood did a complete 180. It turns out I have a gluten AND dairy intolerance and had been abusing my body my entire life by continued consumption. This doesn't mean cleaning up your diet would have the same result, but hey...it doesn't hurt to try! If you were going to try it, I would go about 10 days. If you don't notice a change in mood and energy, you may not have an intolerance.

Thank you for your input! I was diagnosed with severe depression, panic attacks and generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) which was the result of many issues that combined together and led to this horrible state of mind (and body). I have to admit that one of the issues that contributed to my panic attacks was definitely my unhealthy weight loss - I went from weighing around 231lbs to around 150lbs within one and a half years (prior to my 'mental break down') by living more or less on coffee, cigarettes and having alcohol rather often. At the start of my weight loss I even took Chinese diet pills called Lida (which are illegal here in the EU as it contains triple amounts of the chemical sibutramine which is dangerous for your health)...
    Of course, this is not the only reason for breaking down, but I do believe it definitely did not help.