Cardio-how much

Options
Hello everyone!!! So how much cardio do you do daily?!?? I usually do between 30-45 mins 3-4x's a day...but I really want to increase it and lose more weight quicker if I can. Just not sure what amount is best to loose more....just want some more ideas of what every one is doing?!?!?! Thanks!!!

So recap.....on cardio how much do you do daily??? And or how many times a week?!?!?! Thanks!!

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i try to do at least 3 step classes a week and sometimes a couple of spin classes if ive got time x
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Okay....great....thanks!!!
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    LetItBe4Sanity Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow, you do 30-45 min 3-4x a day?! Thats great, seriously. What type of cardio?

I would REALLY recommend a step class. They're SO much fun and they really get you going.

I generally mix my days up between cardio & weights. For instance:

Day 1: 1 Hour Cardio/Class
    Day 2: 30 min Cardio/Class & 30min-1 hr weights
    Day 3: 1 Hour Cardio/Class
    Day 4: 30 min Cardio/Class & 30min-1 hr weights
    etc etc etc,,,
  • mjfaerie
    Options
    I spin 5 times a week plus weight training or yoga, Monday thru Friday. I work out for at least 2 hours and every other saturday, I spin, making those weeks where I spin 6 times.
    I'm a bit of a spin addict, if you couldn't tell....
    In better weather conditions, I will actually ride my bike to work out, tacking on an additional hour (40min. to be exact, 20 there, 20 back). I definitely like my cardio! And I'm still struggling to lose weight....! But that's for a different post. lol
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I alternate between the elliptical, treadmill, and bike...or just walking...and trying to do strength training 2x's a week. I need to step it up and do more.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    Thats a lot of sessions for one day. I do 30-45 mins once a day, 5 times a week. I hope you are eating in addition to all the workouts? The more energy u burn, the mote fuel u eat. Dont eat 1200 calories and work out as much as u do, its as good as not eating anything at all, and it will eventually backfire, as u will hit a plateau due to ur body going into starvation mode and trying to retain every little thing u eat
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least 30 mins of cardio a day. I want to lose weight fast as well, but I can't stand the treadmill, for it bores me to death so I'm trying to find other things to do to burn calories. I think the exercise you are doing is remarkable. I wouldn't disencourage it, but I'd I just say that even just 30 to 60 mins a day should really help you lose weight along with diet pretty quickly and in a healthy way. I wish I had some of your energy! lol
  • DLB86
    DLB86 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi!

Sounds like you're doing plenty cardio already. Why don't you try lifting light-moderate weights - building and toning muscle is one of the best ways to burt fat as it increases your body's basal metabolic rate for around two days after a session! This means you can burn almost double the calories for days after your workout even whilst resting. Cardio has been shown to increase BMR for around 4-6 hours so using the weights is a really good way to hit a plateau. The more muscle groups you use, the more energy your body uses. Often the body can become very adaptable to cardio very quickly and it's hard to be progressive. With weights you can always increase reps or do more sets without getting bulky. Also working with weights tend to give you a better shape than cardio alone.

Hope this helps,

best wishes.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I do trail running at least 4 days a week (so about 15-20 miles a week...1-2 hours each time).
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's not so much the time you do cardio, but what type of cardio you do and how you do it. For instance, 15-30 minutes of interval training (2 minutes going at a moderate pace, 1 minute going at a your top pace), can be more effective than 45-an hour of traditional cardio.

Variation is also important. I used to do an hour of elliptical 5 times a week, but I'm finding that what I do now, which is a mix between weight training, agility training, and boxing/martial arts classes at my gym, is helping me lose weight a lot faster than just doing the elliptical was.
  • DLB86
    DLB86 Posts: 11
    Options
    Boxing is fantastic for torching fat. You could also try training with kettlebells, incorporating movement with weight.