Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I was wondering if some could recommend one?

Preferably not costing the earth!!

Also, if I were to wear it for 24 hours on an average day, would this give me an idea of what I'm burning just working/sleeping/being alive etc?

Am curious more than anything on the last point...am a geek...

Replies

• jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Something like a FitBit is for monitoring your calorie expenditure any time you AREN'T vigorously exercising. Working/Walking/Sleeping/Existing. Basically FitBit is good for 23 hours of your day you aren't working out. (23 hours is just an example)

A HRM like the Polar FT7 is good for measuring steady state cardio (running/biking/swimming), unlike the fitbit.

If you want to get as close as possible to accurate, you can get both.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if some could recommend one?

Preferably not costing the earth!!

Also, if I were to wear it for 24 hours on an average day, would this give me an idea of what I'm burning just working/sleeping/being alive etc?

Am curious more than anything on the last point...am a geek...

Anything Polar is good. HRM are only for steady cardio - not all day use (get a FitBit or something for that). They're not for weight lifting either. I have the ft4 - it was cheaper than the fancier models and really easy to use. I never actually use it though - because I'm just not a cardio only girl. I do wear the FitBit though all the time.
  • chazza55
    chazza55 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Polar loop and garmin vivofit are activity trackers when not working out and can be used with a heart rate strap for when you are working out.

Both are similar to each other but the garmin has 1yr replaceable battery vs polar loop's rechargeable battery every 3 days or something.

I am on the verge of getting the vivofit mainly due to the battery.

Other option is to spend £400 on a polar v800 that is about to be released! :-)
  • bunnypanther
    Options
    If I spent £400 on a heart rate monitor my fella would get upset. A. Cus I can't afford it. B. Cus if I could I should have got him the latest playstation or whatever :D

My last car was £400.

Brings stuff into perspective I feel :D xx