How can I stop from eating too much iron?

Options
MFP says my daily goal should be 100, but I've been reading that I only need 18mg and over 45mg can be deadly or can cause hemochromatosis. I take a daily multivitamin with 8mg (I'm probably going to find one without iron) and I get a surprisingly large amount from food, but it's all very healthy food. How am I supposed to cut down on iron without eliminating fish, tofu and spinach?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the iron content of various foods right now. I'm not seeing how it's possible to get 100 milligrams a day from food sources.
  • NewScotlandBlues
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I thought. When I first added it to my tracker I couldn't believe it was recommending 100mg, because as I said 45+ can be toxic. I thought it was a typo. However it seems because I eat a lot of fish and greens I've gotten up to 43mg from food today plus my 8 from the multivitamin.
  • Jennypoo76
    Jennypoo76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is the tracker saying your goal is 100%? That's whatit looks like on mine. I don't have enough iron so I have been trying to get more iron in my food and suppliments.
  • alexandrasweetie
    Options
    When it says 100 it means 100% of what you need for the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    100 = 100% not 100 mg. It is exceedingly difficult to get too much iron. In fact, a lot of dieters go anemic because they cut out things like red meat and dark meat poultry, etc which are primary sources of iron. Unless you're eating an *kitten* ton of iron fortified cereals and what not, you're not getting too much iron.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    When it says 100 it means 100% of what you need for the day.

This. The iron tracker is in % of your daily requirement, not mg.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think the stuff shown as numbers on the food tracker are the usual suspects to get tweaked for weight loss/medical reasons, everything else is listed as a percentage.
  • dizzmizliz
    Options
    It is very difficult too overload on iron from dietary sources. There are cells throughout the digestive system which regulate iron absorption dependent on cellular concentration of iron. If you have enough iron, the cells simply don't absorb it and it passes through your gut. Haemachromatosis is a condition when the body cannot regulate the absorption of iron, thus you absorb too much and this is toxic.

I'm a haematologist ;)