Cheap recipes?

Options
I am running on a very very tight budget at the moment, due to savings, I have only 30 pounds to pay for food and I have no idea what to get or what to make?
Any help

Replies

• michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too find that I have the time to exercise, but just don't. Looking for mutual motivation! OK, I'm good with cheap recipes. Buy fresh produce like cabbage, brussell sprouts, carrots, broccoli - basically any veggies and greens. Also buy bulk lentils. Then, look for when whole chickens are on sale and make a chicken, veggie, lentil soup that will last for a week.

Whole Chicken - cut up into individual pieces. Roast the breast on the bone and save the meat for use in salads, reserve the bones for stock.

Place the rest of the chicken and the breast bones in a pot and just cover with water.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, skim off anything that collects at the top and keep lid half on / off

Cook for several hours (4-6)

Strain broth and remove the meat and set aside meat

Place room temp broth in container and refrigerate.

Next day, remove the fat that collects on the top

Now, you have fat free stock to make veggie, lentil soup. You can use some of the reserved chicken meat in the soup if you'd like or use it for other stuff

Steps for making the soup:

Dice celery, carrots, onion (about 2 cups total)
    saute in a bit of oil until translucent
    Add about 1 cup dry lentils and 4-6 cups of the homemade stock
    simmer about 40 min
    add any other green veggie and cook until tender
    Season with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic

You can use ANY veggie you like or that is on sale in this soup. When I buy a whole chicken, sometimes I roast the whole thing, use the meat in other recipes and then make the stock out of just the bones. But, I make a lot of meals from the meat.

If you are looking to cut your grocery costs here are some tips: Shop at 99cent store (If available).
    Don't buy anything processed
    Buy in bulk (nuts, oatmeal, dried fruit, grains, etc)
    Buy generic
    Find a co-op grocery or natural foods store
    Buy whole fruits / veggies and trim / cut them up yourself
    Buy larger packages of lean meats when on sale or "manager's special" and put into smaller servings bags and freeze
    Make soups and stews - a little ingredients go a long way
    Make homemade bread (flour, yeast, salt, water) recipe usually on back of flour pkg

Another cheap recipe that my kids like:

Quick Chili
    1 lb lean ground meat (turkey or beef)
    1 large onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 colored bell peppers, cut in half and place under broiler until skins puff up and blacken. Peel when cool enough to handle, then chop
    1 small can whole tomatoes in juice, chopped
    1/3 cup vinegar
    salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin (lots, to taste)
    bit of oil
    Can of any beans you like (optional)

Saute meat, onions, garlic in a bit of hot oil stirring to break into smaller pieces. Add seasoning. Add vinegar, tomatoes, peppers and beans. Cook covered on low for about 30 minute. Serve with salad.

For a lighter version, omit the meat and use chopped up zucchini & yellow squash in it's place. Also, add corn you cut off the cob for added color.

Also, it's cheaper to buy beans in bulk, but you have to remember to soak them overnight if you are going to cook them the next day.
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Buy root veggies, and try to buy veggies from farmer's stands. Much cheaper than supermarkets. Buy eggs for bfast, and chose chicken thighs or drumsticks. Usually can get a large pack of these at very low prices. Bake several and pre-package lunches and dinners. Try to buy fruit and veggies that are in season, and invest in growing what you can. There are many methods of apartment growing, you can grow tomatoes and cucumbers right in a pot on your windowsill.
  • MummatoSkye
    Options
    I too find that I have the time to exercise, but just don't. Looking for mutual motivation! OK, I'm good with cheap recipes. Buy fresh produce like cabbage, brussell sprouts, carrots, broccoli - basically any veggies and greens. Also buy bulk lentils. Then, look for when whole chickens are on sale and make a chicken, veggie, lentil soup that will last for a week.

Whole Chicken - cut up into individual pieces. Roast the breast on the bone and save the meat for use in salads, reserve the bones for stock.

Place the rest of the chicken and the breast bones in a pot and just cover with water.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, skim off anything that collects at the top and keep lid half on / off

Cook for several hours (4-6)

Strain broth and remove the meat and set aside meat

Place room temp broth in container and refrigerate.

Next day, remove the fat that collects on the top

Now, you have fat free stock to make veggie, lentil soup. You can use some of the reserved chicken meat in the soup if you'd like or use it for other stuff

Steps for making the soup:

Dice celery, carrots, onion (about 2 cups total)
    saute in a bit of oil until translucent
    Add about 1 cup dry lentils and 4-6 cups of the homemade stock
    simmer about 40 min
    add any other green veggie and cook until tender
    Season with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic

You can use ANY veggie you like or that is on sale in this soup. When I buy a whole chicken, sometimes I roast the whole thing, use the meat in other recipes and then make the stock out of just the bones. But, I make a lot of meals from the meat.

If you are looking to cut your grocery costs here are some tips: Shop at 99cent store (If available).
    Don't buy anything processed
    Buy in bulk (nuts, oatmeal, dried fruit, grains, etc)
    Buy generic
    Find a co-op grocery or natural foods store
    Buy whole fruits / veggies and trim / cut them up yourself
    Buy larger packages of lean meats when on sale or "manager's special" and put into smaller servings bags and freeze
    Make soups and stews - a little ingredients go a long way
    Make homemade bread (flour, yeast, salt, water) recipe usually on back of flour pkg

Another cheap recipe that my kids like:

Quick Chili
    1 lb lean ground meat (turkey or beef)
    1 large onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 colored bell peppers, cut in half and place under broiler until skins puff up and blacken. Peel when cool enough to handle, then chop
    1 small can whole tomatoes in juice, chopped
    1/3 cup vinegar
    salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin (lots, to taste)
    bit of oil
    Can of any beans you like (optional)

Saute meat, onions, garlic in a bit of hot oil stirring to break into smaller pieces. Add seasoning. Add vinegar, tomatoes, peppers and beans. Cook covered on low for about 30 minute. Serve with salad.

For a lighter version, omit the meat and use chopped up zucchini & yellow squash in it's place. Also, add corn you cut off the cob for added color.

Also, it's cheaper to buy beans in bulk, but you have to remember to soak them overnight if you are going to cook them the next day.

That sounds excellent and yummy, I will be buying these, I find budgeting so hard especially when I see those yummy candies, so I will have to stray away and stay in the veggie isle haha.
    Thanks again
  • MummatoSkye
    Options
    Buy root veggies, and try to buy veggies from farmer's stands. Much cheaper than supermarkets. Buy eggs for bfast, and chose chicken thighs or drumsticks. Usually can get a large pack of these at very low prices. Bake several and pre-package lunches and dinners. Try to buy fruit and veggies that are in season, and invest in growing what you can. There are many methods of apartment growing, you can grow tomatoes and cucumbers right in a pot on your windowsill.
    oooh I will have a look at the farmer stands tomorrow, if I'm totally honest I've never bought fruit or veg from one so this will be a first and a great idea, thank you