How many Long Time Losers still here? Kept it off > 1 yr

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
I am wondering how many people on MFP have remained after they lost their weight. I am looking for people who lost a substantial amount of weight, and have kept it off at least one year.

There are a number of running threads on these forums --runners, HCGers, etc--and I thought this might be a good one, if people are interested.

I started my program in March 2009. I lost of lot of weight pretty fast--almost 60lb in five months. I have held steady within a 5lb range since August 2009. I was thinking the other day, it might be interesting/instructive to connect with others in the same situation. I come across pertinent research, and other issues sometimes that i would like to discuss that I think would be uninteresting to the general group, most of whom are in the early stages of the process.

As many of you know, losing weight is only half the battle--maybe not even half. "Successful" weight loss is defined at a minimum as keeping the weight off for at least one year--some define it as only after you have kept the weight off at least 2 years.

It might be interesting to have a thread where people can share strategies, experiences, struggles, etc. Who knows, it might even drag some "oldies" out of the woodwork.

If you are interested, respond to this thread. I'll watch it, and if there is enough interest, get it going -- probably after the holidays.

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    5 years strong here. 6 years ago I was over 300, then got down to 209, then varied anywhere between 210-240 over the last 5 years. My lowest was 205 a few months ago before trying to add some muscle. I'm 210 now and the leanest I've ever been.
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    lost 65 lbs, kept it off for a year and a half :)
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and have now kept if off for over a year.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :happy: My highest weight is actually 194....ugh....I can't hardly type it.....I found MFP last Dec. after a surgery. I wanted to just maintain my weight over the holidays while recovering. Well, I stuck with it and went through another sugery in July. I am down 24 more pounds and hover around 160.:bigsmile: My goal is 150 and I believe I will get there. I would like to participate in this group. Thanks for starting it and congrats on your loss!

:drinker: Here is to a great 2011!
    Fab
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Down 76ish pounds from my starting weight...have kept it off successfully for five years. It took forever to lose the weight, but I'm convinced that the slow process has contributed to my ability to keep it gone.:flowerforyou:

Also, probably qualify as an "oldie".:wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    About 4 years here. Still going strong. Actually still (seems like forever) trying to gain a few lbs of muscle. Started at about 236, lowest was about 171 or so, now at 183 to 185 depending on the day. Trying to be at 190 or so, actually trying for 9% BF really, at about 10.5 to 11% now so I need to drop 4 to 6 lbs of fat (and maybe put on 5 to 10 of muscle over the next 8 to 10 months.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am just interested in following the thread, since this is my ultimate goal. Thanks!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    About 4 years here. Still going strong. Actually still (seems like forever) trying to gain a few lbs of muscle. Started at about 236, lowest was about 171 or so, now at 183 to 185 depending on the day. Trying to be at 190 or so, actually trying for 9% BF really, at about 10.5 to 11% now so I need to drop 4 to 6 lbs of fat (and maybe put on 5 to 10 of muscle over the next 8 to 10 months.

I just laughed, because our starting weights were the same, Banks. Weight class!....and in this corner......! snarf.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I reached my original goal of 150lbs lost in February of last year (so almost a year lol) & after maintaining decided a couple of months ago to go a little lower. :)
  • Azdak
    Options
    Well, this looks like enough to get started. Can't promise I'll keep it going forever, but look for an ongoing "Long Time Loser" thread between now and new year's. I may actually do it under the "Fitness and Exercise" Forum, since I think that gets more traffic.

I guess what I am looking for is a lot of different types of input: successful strategies, the challenges you face--both practically and emotionally, any research (I have one to discuss when I start that is not particularly positive), stuff like that. I think I learned some things about myself having gone through this process and I have had some surprising responses recently.
  • Azdak
    Options

Your guys made things a little interesting last night, my friend. A little too interesting, for those of us in Chicago.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, although it won't be a year for me until March, and I'm not sure if my loss is what you'd consider substantial. I started at 169 in August 2009, and my goal was 145. I reached that in March and haven't gone above it since then. I've been between 135 and 140 since August 2010, and that's where I'd like to stay. I'm inching precariously close to 140, so I'm still toying with my ideal maintenance calories, but I don't plan to leave MFP any time soon.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I'm interested, although it won't be a year for me until March, and I'm not sure if my loss is what you'd consider substantial. I started at 169 in August 2009, and my goal was 145. I reached that in March and haven't gone above it since then. I've been between 135 and 140 since August 2010, and that's where I'd like to stay. I'm inching precariously close to 140, so I'm still toying with my ideal maintenance calories, but I don't plan to leave MFP any time soon.

I guess I was thinking to differentiate from those who are just looking to lost 5lbs or so--the idea was that anyone who has reached a different level from where they had been for years--whether that's 10lbs or 200lb--faces some challenges in keeping it off. But we won't get bogged down in semantics......;-)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options

I guess I was thinking to differentiate from those who are just looking to lost 5lbs or so--the idea was that anyone who has reached a different level from where they had been for years--whether that's 10lbs or 200lb--faces some challenges in keeping it off. But we won't get bogged down in semantics......;-)
    Well, then, count me in (come March, anyway)! This is definitely a different level from where I've been in at least a couple of decades. :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Your guys made things a little interesting last night, my friend. A little too interesting, for those of us in Chicago.

hehe. Chicago, you should be happy! FYI, Chris Collinsworth is a D Bag on a monumental scale. I don't know why but he's had it out for the Patriots since they've become a contender. Pats run D was atrocious last night. Course it ididn't help that 1/2 of our D line was hurt. What was with this Matt Flynn kid? Didn't anyone tell him he couldn't play in the NFL? Well, I guess he found out in the last drive why they pay QB's so much in the NFL. That was a classic rookie freeze if I ever saw one. From 28 seocnds to zero seconds and 1 play. Ouch.
  • Azdak
    Options

hehe. Chicago, you should be happy! FYI, Chris Collinsworth is a D Bag on a monumental scale. I don't know why but he's had it out for the Patriots since they've become a contender. Pats run D was atrocious last night. Course it ididn't help that 1/2 of our D line was hurt. What was with this Matt Flynn kid? Didn't anyone tell him he couldn't play in the NFL? Well, I guess he found out in the last drive why they pay QB's so much in the NFL. That was a classic rookie freeze if I ever saw one. From 28 seocnds to zero seconds and 1 play. Ouch.

Not that it's a surprise, and not that he isn't already seen as one of the best, but I think we are seeing Brady take the final step into the top level of quarterbacks all time (in terms of recognition--performance has always been there). I am even more impressed because--given his looks, personality, commercials, etc--it can be tempting to think of him as more "pretty boy" who excels because of Belichik's schemes. Underneath the looks, though, I think he is a tough a guy who has ever played the position. He is in total command out there, and it's fun to watch --even last week, we had to admire the guy, even though he was undressing the Bears in public.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    90lbs off almost a year ago (feb). I've been here since June 2009 =)
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Lost 105 pounds total, the last 25 with MFP...and Dec 3 marked 1 year, six months for me keeping it off.

Be back later.

Oh yeah, been on MFP since Sept 08.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Not that it's a surprise, and not that he isn't already seen as one of the best, but I think we are seeing Brady take the final step into the top level of quarterbacks all time (in terms of recognition--performance has always been there). I am even more impressed because--given his looks, personality, commercials, etc--it can be tempting to think of him as more "pretty boy" who excels because of Belichik's schemes. Underneath the looks, though, I think he is a tough a guy who has ever played the position. He is in total command out there, and it's fun to watch --even last week, we had to admire the guy, even though he was undressing the Bears in public.

I'll be the first to admit. it took me a while to come around to Brady. He had to earn my respect. Even after 2001, I wasn't convinced he was the real deal. But I gotta admit, the way he stays in the pocket, recognizes defenses better than anyone (even Payton), and the speed and accuracy with which he delivers the ball, it's almost super human. Take last night for example, wasn't Brady's best game, but when they needed him to, he marched them down the field, recognized the mismatches, and found the receivers he needed to.