Tuna and what?

Options
ZOOpergal
ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
Hey...Thinking about having tuna for lunch instead of my usual. Do you have suggestions on what to mix in with it other than mayo? Has anyone tried mixing it with just mustard or horseradish? Clearly I like spices but I'm just not keen on eating dry tuna, and I don't wanna take the mayo route. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My husband makes it with like 1/2 to 1 tsp (not TBSP) or less of mayo...and a bit of Worcestershire sauce, slivered almonds, celery & onion. It's super good, very savory and different from my usual (I like mine BEST with more mayo, mustard and loads of chopped boiled egg).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with horseradish all the time. I also do half mayo/half mustard. And sometimes I mix it with cream cheese. I suppose it depends on what kind of mood I'm in.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I quite like it with Caesar dressing mixed in. Or rice vinegar.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks! They sound great.
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    non fat greek yogurt and pickles
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt, mustard, spices.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    tzatziki + feta = awesome
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you loathe mayo as civilized people do (j/k...maybe), After you de-can it in a bowl put some lemon or lime juice on it, mix it around and let it sit for a bit. Helps kill the 'fishy' taste. Then add just a little italian dressing or whichever dressing you like, mix it around. Throw it in a wrap with whatever extra's, lettuce, sprouts, onions, olives, pickles, cheese, etc.
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. . . I started putting it in my salads, straight from the can (drained of course) I put in my lettuce, tomato, celery, carrots, radishes, peppers. . . whatever you put in a salad and add the tuna as your "meat" and your salad dressing, of course (i usually measure about 1 TBSP of Fat Free French) But, its makes it taste GREAT straight from the can and it allows it to go a bit further than just mixing it with mayo or mustard or whatever. . . makes for a GREAT healthy, protein filled, and filling meal! :happy:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Mix with mashed avocado and a little salt and pepper. You won't miss the mayo, promise!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It is good with cottage cheese and sriracha if you like spicy.
    I also love it with dill, chopped celery and dried onion.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I sieve my own yogurt to make yogurt cheese. I use this instead of mayo, bumps the protein with out the calories of mayo and tastes great.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I do tuna and mustard every morning ... kind of sick of it actually lol
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mix with mashed avocado and a little salt and pepper. You won't miss the mayo, promise!
    Yes! ^^^
    Avocado and tuna, maybe a little pickle relish, and some cayenne pepper. So good!
  • FreeSpirit1992
    Options
    I love tuna with spicy salsa. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

My mom used to mix tuna with mushroom soup and peas and pour it over toast. I haven't had that in a while. Should do that again sometime. Mmmm.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Hey...Thinking about having tuna for lunch instead of my usual. Do you have suggestions on what to mix in with it other than mayo? Has anyone tried mixing it with just mustard or horseradish? Clearly I like spices but I'm just not keen on eating dry tuna, and I don't wanna take the mayo route. Thanks in advance.

Here's what I do...
    Black beans, rice, tuna mixed in with Tomato sauce
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Here's what I do...
    Black beans, rice, tuna mixed in with Tomato sauce

That sounds delicious.
  • Slaterlouise
    Slaterlouise Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add coarse ground salt and pepper and tiny drizzle of vinegar..
  • sihbbie
    sihbbie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Never even thought of avocado with tuna. Great idea!
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I add 4 TBSP Miracle Whip, and 6 or so Tony Paco's Original Pickles & Pepper's diced up. Say that 5 times fast I dare ya. Yeah a tad bit extra of MW than most like but I normally make a meal out of it with a 9oz. can of Bumble Bee chunk light tuna in water. If I have the extra calories I also add an egg or two diced up with the yolk.

calories item
    250 tuna
    160 MW
    12 Pickles
    100 or so calories for 2 medium eggs.
    ===
    622 TOTAL calories.

Lots of calories but again for me it's a full meal.