Cardio or weights first ???

Options
Hey everyone !! So, I have broken both ankles over the past few years and have a 'glass' back .. just got back into the gym, doing a bit of everything ... does it matter if I do weights or cardio first in my workout ??? any ideas or thoughts gratefully accepted .. keep on logging !!!! ;)

Replies

• shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, although I prefer doing weights first because I find cardio easier to do when tired.
  • pyronymph1
    pyronymph1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually split up the cardio, use it as a warm up and cool down so to speak. Then I slip the weights in the middle. But really, you have to find what works for you.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Weights first, don't waste an ounce of energy on cardio first because you need it to give everything you have to wrecking your muscles.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Weights.. I do a 5 minute warm up before but its very light..
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you want to minimize injury and maximize results do a 10-15 minute light warm-up of walking/light jog/cycling, then do some mobility and dynamic stretching exercises...i'd highly recommend DeFranco's Limber 11:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

Do cardio after if you want, although I'd recommend HIIT training on off-lifting days such as hill sprints and never the day before lower body day. If your goal is building strength. If you need to build endurance then do endurance training.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Stretch - Weights then Cardio

Why? You don't want to wear yourself down from Cardio before lifting.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Weights first, or you will tire yourself out on the cardio. It's easier to do cardio after weights, than vice versa.
  • lozzatao
    lozzatao Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice .. I have always done cardio first as a warm up .. I will change routine and see what happens .. Thanks again !
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree with resistance training always first, then cardio afterwards if wanted. As far as warm up, I tend to warm up with the movement itself, with very low resistance or bodyweight, or an exercise that mimics the exercise. No need to go running on a treadmill for 10-15 mins "warm up", before a heavy squat session.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone !! So, I have broken both ankles over the past few years and have a 'glass' back .. just got back into the gym, doing a bit of everything ... does it matter if I do weights or cardio first in my workout ??? any ideas or thoughts gratefully accepted .. keep on logging !!!! ;)

Depends on your objectives and what activities that you're doing.

Personally my resistance training is to complement my running and cycling, so my priority is getting in good quality CV sessions and the resistance training is secondary to that. with that in mind I do one of my resistance sessions on its own, and the other after my shortest run of the week, of about 5km.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Stretch - Weights then Cardio

Why? You don't want to wear yourself down from Cardio before lifting.
    You shouldn't do static stretches with cold muscles. Great way to pull them. If you're going to stretch first, do dynamic stretches (swinging your arms around, for example).

You can do static stretches at the end of the workout or even in the middle.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't like doing cardio and weights on the same day. It exhausts me and I am unable to give 100% to either activity.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Don't think it really matters. I prefer to do cardio first.....then weights.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For you, it definitely matters. With decreased ankle mobility and a bad back, the last thing you want is to increase your risk of injury. Cardio will zap some energy and you want to do weights at as close to 100% as you can.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For you, it definitely matters. With decreased ankle mobility and a bad back, the last thing you want is to increase your risk of injury. Cardio will zap some energy and you want to do weights at as close to 100% as you can.

The counter to that is, if you deplete energy in resistance training form on CV training can suffer.

As someone who has suffered broken ankles myself, and currently running 35-40km per week, form is incredibly important in avoiding injury.

If one is doing cardio at low intensity on a hamster wheel inside a gym then it's less likely to be significant, but that really is dull as hel.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Basically, whichever one you do first will tire you out and decrease your performance on the 2nd half of your workout. Most people do cardio just to lose weight. So it doesn't matter if you do cardio second (in fact you might even burn more fat that way).

However if you're training for a race and want to improve your running speed, then do cardio first. I used to be in the Army and our two mile run speed was very important. So I got into the habit of doing cardio first. When I eventually decreased the cardio I saw some quick gains in strength.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i would say do cardio on your off days from lifting…

if you are really must combine them, then do cardio after lifting.

I would also suggest finding a program and sticking to it. Starting strength, new rules of lifting, 5x5, etc are all great programs….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I agree with resistance training always first, then cardio afterwards if wanted. As far as warm up, I tend to warm up with the movement itself, with very low resistance or bodyweight, or an exercise that mimics the exercise. No need to go running on a treadmill for 10-15 mins "warm up", before a heavy squat session.
    agreed.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do an 8 minute warm-up on a stationary bike first, then lift. If it's leg day it's over at that point... I am a wobbly trembling mess afterwards.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and what works for you.

I do my cardio first because 1) right now I am training for a race and 2) if I don't do it first then I won't do it at all.