Saunas

MartiWillett
MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Do they aide with weight loss? Do they have health beenfits?

Replies

• I've heard they do because they make you sweat the fat off, but I haven't experienced it to really know for sure.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    thats funny-because I was wondering the same exact thing as I left the gym this morning...
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    I would guess any weight you lose would be water weight. It is very relaxing though and great for the pores.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    I don't think they are good for weight loss necessarily. They just make you lose water weight. I sit in the one at my gym just to soothe aching muscles after a hard workout.
  • You can search the web and find info. I've read that it is very helpful. Good for skin pores and your airways. I guy at my gym pours a little eucalyptis (spelling?) in the the heater-thingie every morning so its like a giant Vicks room! Staff gets on him a little cause some people dont like it, but he doesnt do it too strong. It does seem to help my breathing, especially if ya have a little stuffiness, so I kinda like it.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    For the record, you're not going to "sweat fat off" in a sauna. You will sweat off some water weight (which isn't fat). Sitting in a hot sauna will increase your heart rate slightly which does burn more calories that sitting in a room of average temperature but is really negligible.

I hit the sauna almost everyday because the heat feels good after a rough workout and I find it more comfortable to strech there...

:flowerforyou:
  • MartiWillett
    I love the sauna after a work out to ease my sore muscles too!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    It will help get rid of excess water weight, but not fat.
  • srsimon
    srsimon Posts: 60 Member
    Where I go to school saunas are a big thing, most houses have them. Yoopers (people who live in Michigan's upper peninsula) LOVE their sauna. Some of the guys I hang out with explained to me that it has a lot of great health benefits. It raises your core temp to help fight bacteria and can help you fight off colds and such. However, if you're already sick, you shouldn't stay in there too long as it won't help but start to hurt. I'm not a huge fan of them because I have trouble breathing in them, but in the UP they like them HOT. If you do use them for more than 10 min or so (my friends will stay in them for an hour with a mini break in between) make sure to drink plenty of water. You'll continuously sweat and you need to replenish the water.

It's more of a detox then a weight loss cure.
  • MartiWillett
    Where I go to school saunas are a big thing, most houses have them. Yoopers (people who live in Michigan's upper peninsula) LOVE their sauna. Some of the guys I hang out with explained to me that it has a lot of great health benefits. It raises your core temp to help fight bacteria and can help you fight off colds and such. However, if you're already sick, you shouldn't stay in there too long as it won't help but start to hurt. I'm not a huge fan of them because I have trouble breathing in them, but in the UP they like them HOT. If you do use them for more than 10 min or so (my friends will stay in them for an hour with a mini break in between) make sure to drink plenty of water. You'll continuously sweat and you need to replenish the water.

It's more of a detox then a weight loss cure.

Thank you that was very helpful!
  • lstrachan
    lstrachan Posts: 20 Member
    I've had my first body wrap & had to spend 35mins in the sauna and lost 2.5 inches.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    They won't do anything for weight loss if you use them properly, because you're supposed to replace the water weight you lost immediately after you leave to avoid dehydration.

That being said, they do have a lot of health benefits when used in moderation, especially when it comes to the recovery of sore muscles from exercising.
This discussion has been closed.