Need exercises to strengthen lower back and abs.

Options
Hi! So far with the exercise I've been getting, I've done well and I've lost 40 pounds towards my 85 pound goal. However, I tried to introduce typical push-ups and sit-ups to my routine at the gym today. There was a slight problem. I couldn't complete the motions.

During the push-ups, I could lift my legs and chest fairly easily, but noticed that I couldn't keep my body straight. I bent in the middle (wish I could describe it more easily). During the sit-ups I found that I could raise myself to a certain level, but I wasn't able to finish the entire movement. It feels like a lack of strength in my lower back and abs.

I'm still 295 lbs, though, and I realize it'll likely be easier as I lose more weight, but is there anything exercise wise I can do to strengthen those muscles? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• amsharma_ak
    amsharma_ak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should look at the beginner versions of both those exercises ... As you build strength you can proceed to the next version ... For example in pushups, keep your knees on the floor while you do the push ups. Always keep your back straight. You should be able to look these up online easily.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For pushup Put your hands on a bench and do bring your feet out and press. Try do a crunch off a stability ball or swiss ball. It takes less pressure off the back than doing real sit-ups
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Planks and hyperextensions for life... I would try doing knee pushups and skip sit ups.

No matter what, for planks and push ups, you will need to find a way to learn how to keep your body in a straight line
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hyperextensions and deadlifts
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! So far with the exercise I've been getting, I've done well and I've lost 40 pounds towards my 85 pound goal. However, I tried to introduce typical push-ups and sit-ups to my routine at the gym today. There was a slight problem. I couldn't complete the motions.

During the push-ups, I could lift my legs and chest fairly easily, but noticed that I couldn't keep my body straight. I bent in the middle (wish I could describe it more easily). During the sit-ups I found that I could raise myself to a certain level, but I wasn't able to finish the entire movement. It feels like a lack of strength in my lower back and abs.

I'm still 295 lbs, though, and I realize it'll likely be easier as I lose more weight, but is there anything exercise wise I can do to strengthen those muscles? Thank you in advance.

H! Former back pain victim here... Your pushups will be a bit easier when you start out on your knees. Watch your breathing: Inhale on the way down, powerful exhale while you push yourself up again. No shame in taking a break, take it one at a time.
    Situps and crunches are bad for any back, when done incorrectly. They are ALWAYS done with a rounded back, not a straight back. Think sucking your belly button to your spine while you lift your shoulders and roll up for a complete situp. Your abs are contracting and doing all the work. Your back will round and stretch without discomfort. If you do this with a straight back, things get pinched in your lower back, and it will hurt. Crunches work the same way: Exhale as you start the movement. Suck in the belly button, and curl your shoulders just off the ground and hold, all with your abs. Inhale as you roll back to the ground. Do not fold your hands behind your back on either exercise. Just hold them relaxed beside your ears. Look up and forward.
    Train safe!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Neither of those 2 exercises use the lower back muscles. At least not in a significant way.

As far as the spinal arching during push-ups, that can happen from doing ab exercises before them. Move abs to the end of the workout.

Sit-ups are overrated, but if you want to get good at them, keep working at it. But it's better to follow a structured, full-body strength program, like New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts, etc.
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my lower back so have talked to the trainer at the gym, and he recommended the Back Extension machine. I have only been doing it for a month, and it has helped immensely. I don't do a lot of weight (75 lbs.) and do three sets of twenty. if your gym has one of these, I highly recommend it.

Seated-Back-Extension-Machine.gif
  • Superpowered
    Superpowered Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Plank like it's your job (start from your knees and work up to a full on plank to avoid injury). Also: leg extensions. (Google lower back leg extensions.)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hyperextensions and deadlifts
    ^This. Nothing strengthens the core like Deadlifts
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Seems to be a few different things to address here:

For push ups:

As already suggested, try them on your knees. But, I would suggest a couple of other methods that might help. 1) Incline push ups. They are easier and you can focus on form, and straight back. Isometric push ups. Start in the top lockout position, and hold for 5 sec, lower half way, hold for 5 sec, lower to the bottom, and hold. Rinse and repeat.

For Situps/Crunches:

If you already have lower back issues, avoid theses. Actually, avoid them regardless. They are not very useful as a core exercise and not valuable at all for fat loss. Deadlifts are one of the best exercises for core, also squats. I hear people all the time tell me they don't Deadlifts because they have a bad back hahaha, whatever. Talking to someone that 3 years ago was almost paralyzed from a back injury, everyday wake up and could barely move for the first 2 hours. Deadlifts helped A LOT!! As far as isolation work for core, planks are great and easy, L-sits and Vholds (harder). If your adamant about crunches, after the shoulder are lifted off the ground, that's as far as you need to go.

For Lower back:

I will suggest a few exercises, also a few exercises for glutes and hamstrings, which play a huge role in lower back pain that most don't realize.

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Supermans
    Cat to Camel
    Cat stretch
    Bridge
    Good mornings
    1 leg RDL
    Wall sits

Good luck OP, back pain is not fun to deal with! But it can get better.