Running more difficult during the 'time of the month'

Options
Time of the month is not exactly accurate for me - I have an implant which means I go months without a period. I got my first one since back running and I'm just finding doing my usual route so much harder!
My normal route is about 4.5km and takes me about 30 mins. I'm still building up to 5km in under 30mins but I was just about ready to up my distance when I suddenly find I 20 mins a nightmare! I just don't seem to have the energy.

Should I just wait for it to pass and keep running - but maybe take it a bit easier?

Replies

• Moira945
    Moira945 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every month. Cutting back on your time (like dropping from 30 minutes to 20 minutes) is a good idea and will keep you from hurting yourself. You won't lose the ability you've already gained in just a few days and the rest might actually make your first few runs after this feel even better. :)

Good luck!
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response - lower intensity does seem the way to go.
  • PrincessWarior
    PrincessWarior Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Keep running.....
    I'm the same way, just take it slow.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I usually do my best runs during this time. It feels a million times harder and its horrible but I find I am faster.

I don't change my routine just because its that time of the month. You will burn more calories and run hotter than normal so I end working harder and burning more calories, just don't give in to the cravings.

Also I just find I feel better after a run.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have to drop the intensity of my workouts a bit during the first day or two. I don't let it bother me too much because I know it's just temporary.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. Some months I feel perfectly normal or even have fantastic workouts. Some months are awful and I feel like total poo - like today I'm a bit sick to my stomach and want to go home and curl up on the couch. My friend invited me to take a short walk with her I decided that's probably enough activity for me today. I'll get back to it tomorrow.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Keep running.....
    I'm the same way, just take it slow.
    Same here. I usually feel a million times better after!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just do what I can and go with it. Blech.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I don't cut a run short (unless I am really nauseous or something) but I do take it slower - I run by effort instead of pace during the hard days and it seems to work for me.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I usually do my best runs during this time. It feels a million times harder and its horrible but I find I am faster.

^^This! One of my half marathons was during that time of the month and I felt like crap through the whole race... but then I ended up with one of my best race time to date!

But if it happens during my during runs, then I just go at less intensity if I need to but stick with whatever distance I had planned. Most of the time I don't even notice a difference in how I feel or my pace.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It is possible that your mind is telling you to give up when you could keep pushing.... you lose a lot of blood during TOM, I would suspect lower iron levels could contribute to your feelings of tiredness. Talk to your doctor, get in more iron if your doc approves. When in doubt, you can always slow your pace down too.
  • Yazza2
    Yazza2 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hey Hey, from my own experience you should just push through it, don't let it slow you down. Besides, exercise makes it pass faster. :)
  • xsophieanne
    xsophieanne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am on the implant also so I know your pain lol :D
    I wouldn't worry too much, try and push through it but if you literally can't bare it, don't beat yourself up about it, everyone misses a workout sometimes but apparently working out in general can make your periods easier, I have to take iron tablets when I am on my period now though because mine last for months at a time so maybe talk to your doctor and see if you should up your iron intake because that did it for me :D
  • AleZsaZsa
    Options
    I always find myself more motivated to run during the red sun than any other time of the month. I have no idea why
  • whitelung18
    Options
    I tell myself that when I get really horrible cramps, any amount of exercise is fine, and if it really gets to be too much then I allow myself to stop and let it go. There will always be another time to power through your run!
    At times I find that my moodiness/ frustration due to this splendid time actually makes weight training feel really amazing, so if you tend to get a little angry you might just want to make it a weight day!
  • rachaelxashley
    Options
    Either way working out will help with any cramping and you'll feel way better just push through it!