Post Workout Meal/Snack Ideas

Options
Hi,
I was hoping to get some post workout snack or meal ideas from you guys. I know what I'm supposed to eat (a mix of carbs and proteins) so that's not the problem. I think it might be because of the time of day I finish my workouts which is around 4 pm.

My workouts consist of cardio and then strength training a few times a week. I think it would be helpful to see what some of you eat after your workouts. It will give me ideas for myself. I appreciate it! Thanks :)

P.S. I forgot to mention that fat loss is my goal.

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit!!!!
    natureskittles.jpg
  • SuperSammi22
    SuperSammi22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies! If you puree cantaloupe and then freeze it, its almost like sherbert. So delicious.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    how about some nuts or any type of protein.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I was working out at 4 pm... dinner!
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like a hard boiled egg after a workout. Nice bit of protein keeps me from stopping at the Sheetz on the way home from the gym and eating all kinds of crap I shouldn't. I peel them at home and put them in a baggie. Quick and easy to eat.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    If you finish at 4PM I'd honestly just do dinner, if you eat later though and just want a snack...Some unflavored yogurt with fruit
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    protein drink or bar
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I was working out at 4 pm... dinner!

Same here unless I'd had a late lunch. When I get off work at 4 p.m., I'm usually hungry, so I need a snack before working out.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My former trainer suggested I eat at least 20 grams of protein after my workouts. I typically eat either a protein bar (Pure Protein and Market Pantry brands come in at about 200 cal. and 20 grams of protein). Tonight I had chocolate muscle milk (yummy, 160 cal. for 20 grams of protein, but pricey...$3 from the vending machine).

New Rules of Lifting Supercharged claims that 1 cup of cottage cheese is great. I've heard both ways on chocolate milk.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Almonds
  • madisynclaire14
    madisynclaire14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    After a workout I normally have water, a banana, and some source of protein. I highly recommend almonds.. just remember that they're high in calories so watch how many you eat!
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    protein drink or bar

I go with protein bar as well :) or a banana :)
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I finish my work at 330- sometimes run right after work with friends or drive home then run The distance of the run and duration can take me into dinner territory however I need something quick and protein filled but rewarding for the work ive done- Hello ice creamy protein shake! vanilla or chocolate and a side of crackers with luscious peanut butter ontop! Its enough to stabilize the blood sugar but not overfill my stomach! I then grab kids make supper and go on to enjoy it! its ok to have a treat IIFYM too!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    firstly, there is SFA protein in nuts. They are predominantly a fat source.

Fruit: carbs only will not halt muscle protein breakdown and signal synthesis.

My go to is:
    300g frozen banana
    1 scoop protein powder
    bit of water
    cinnamon

Mix all up in blender. Depending on how much water (or use milk) you put it, it will either be a very thick shake or ice cream texture.

Oh and just in case you didn't know, total macronutrients consumed throughout the day is more important than when you get them. WIth regards to post workout eating, if you have eaten a meal pre workout it will still be digesting. Typically try and get your nutrients within a 4-6 hour window around the training period. So that could be before or after.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk!