Running Shoes

Options
Looking to get a pair of running shoes, first time runner. Which brand would you recommend?

Replies

• LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    I have a pair of Mizuno's and a pair of New Balance and I love them both.
  • laraprovencher
    Options
    I recommend going to a true running store. They will look at your feet, observe your run, and can tell you exactly what type would give you the best support. It's more expensive, but worth the investment! Once you have done that, you have a better idea of what you need for the future and can find them on your own. Good luck!
  • elleaygeem
    Options
    Find the nearest running specialty store, and go in. Have them watch you walk, and talk to them about what your goals are. Try on many different brands and see what feels best. Different brands are so different to each person, what may work well for one person may not work for another.
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend a brand but I will recommend you get a proper fitting for your first pair. Go to a running store and have a gait analysis done. The person who does it will then recommend shoes that are good for you-your foot, your gait, your goals. Every runner is different, so there isn't necessarily one brand that works best for everyone. They are probably going to be spendy, but a good pair of properly fitting running shoes is a must! Happy running!
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A fitting is nice, but if you're going to work your way up slowly then it's not a terrible idea to start with a cheap pair of shoes before committing.

I like Sketchers brand for a good (and cheap) neutral shoe.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I would buy whatever pair the running store says will work with your feet/gait.

Even if you are just starting out. It's worth it even if you end up just walking in them.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted, or go to a Sports Authority and try on 5-10 pair and find something that really fits. I'm a big fan of Nike Free and Vibram Five Fingers but those fit my weird feet the best.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You need to get fitted for your specific needs (weight, distance running, pronator or not, etc.) Your best bet is to go to a store that specializes in running and get a gait analysis done. Then they'll hook you up with the right shoes.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty store and get fitted. Your feet will thank you!!!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I've been running Asics for the last 6 years. But ya, go to a real running store.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks. What works for me might not for you. FWIW- I went to a running store to get fitted, and those shoes did NOT work for me. It happens, just find out what their return policy is if you end up not liking how they feel.