Gardening

Options
Rocbola
Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
Where my gardeners at? What are you planting this year?

I am putting in a new peach tree this year to compliment the one i put in last year. I normally do all the fruits/veggies listed on this planting guide, except squashes, but i will do some this year.
plantingguide.png

Replies

• Rocbola
    Options
    Everyone else buys their food? :cry:

"Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes."
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I put in a nice garden every year too. I have 2 20'x6' raised beds and 2 6' square raised beds. One of the smaller beds is strawberries (planted last year - so hoping they come back in full force this year!).

I'm a CPA - so being so busy haven't really had a chance to plan out everything yet. My staples are a couple lettuce, arugula, spinach, green beans, peas (sugar snap & regular garden peas), onions, beets, turnips, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, and brussell sprouts. I tried a few shallots last year and they turned out well, so may do that again this year. I'd like to try sweet potatoes in my other small bed this year...or maybe some squashes. Definitely will be adding kale this year as well.

I plant across the long beds - so 6' rows of everything (some get multiple rows). Being so busy, I don't really have time to start seedlings indoors, so I just seed right into the ground or buy some seedling plants (tomatoes, peppers, cukes, etc). Thinking of renting a small plot too to do some sweet corn, tho I may just bum off my in-laws instead!

Probably not this year, but want to plant raspberry and blueberry bushes in the near future (whenever the next "expansion" is!)
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I garden, but not great at it. I do my best, though, until the bugs...especially, spiders...find their way in and scare me out. Then, hubby takes over from there.

I'll be putting in tomatoes, blackcherry tomatoes, lettuces, spinach, peppers, squashes (if the squash bugs don't take over again) and some herbs.

I'm getting impatient to get started now that the weather is finally getting better. :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Obviously you need land to do this on. I buy my produce at the store.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    aint nobody got time for that
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I put in a nice garden every year too. I have 2 20'x6' raised beds and 2 6' square raised beds. One of the smaller beds is strawberries (planted last year - so hoping they come back in full force this year!).

I'm a CPA - so being so busy haven't really had a chance to plan out everything yet. My staples are a couple lettuce, arugula, spinach, green beans, peas (sugar snap & regular garden peas), onions, beets, turnips, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, and brussell sprouts. I tried a few shallots last year and they turned out well, so may do that again this year. I'd like to try sweet potatoes in my other small bed this year...or maybe some squashes. Definitely will be adding kale this year as well.

I plant across the long beds - so 6' rows of everything (some get multiple rows). Being so busy, I don't really have time to start seedlings indoors, so I just seed right into the ground or buy some seedling plants (tomatoes, peppers, cukes, etc). Thinking of renting a small plot too to do some sweet corn, tho I may just bum off my in-laws instead!

Probably not this year, but want to plant raspberry and blueberry bushes in the near future (whenever the next "expansion" is!)
    Nice. I start some indoors, and buy a lot of starts, too. The plants i start indoors are the less common, or heirloom plants that i can't get at a local store, like tabasco pepper plants!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I garden, but not great at it. I do my best, though, until the bugs...especially, spiders...find their way in and scare me out. Then, hubby takes over from there.

I'll be putting in tomatoes, blackcherry tomatoes, lettuces, spinach, peppers, squashes (if the squash bugs don't take over again) and some herbs.

I'm getting impatient to get started now that the weather is finally getting better. :)
    The snow is gone here, but it's still cold! I want to try squash this year. My old yard had less sunlight, and space, so i couldn't grow all that i wanted.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The one thing I really miss about living in a house and having a yard. I'm thinking of volunteering at the local community garden, or finding a neighbor to help.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Obviously you need land to do this on. I buy my produce at the store.
    You can do lettuce in a window, year round. Herbs, too.

Or

http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/

http://search.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I kill cactus :/ so gardening is out for me lol
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love to garden! We just had pesto I froze last fall, made from basil I grew. I'm working on seed starting right now.
    I grow a variety of things: peppers, tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, green and dried beans. Tomatoes are my favorite so I grow several varieties each year. I'm trying spaghetti squash instead of zucchini this year and adding in peas, onions, leeks and potatoes. I just put out asparagus for the first time. I have blueberry bushes, strawberries, apple trees, a peach tree, two pecan trees and I'm getting a cherry tree next month.
    I'm also trying to put in more bee friendly plants as I plan to get a hive next summer.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've never done fruits or veggies but my mom is an awesome gardener. I'm going to try herbs and tomatoes this year and keep adding from there! I have a nice spot that is very sunny that I am going to fence off (I have dogs that like to pee on my chives, so those need to move!) and commit that spot to my edible garden.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i love your spread sheet! so organized. lol, i just read the back, plant, water and hope for the best.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I love to garden! We just had pesto I froze last fall, made from basil I grew. I'm working on seed starting right now.
    I grow a variety of things: peppers, tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, green and dried beans. Tomatoes are my favorite so I grow several varieties each year. I'm trying spaghetti squash instead of zucchini this year and adding in peas, onions, leeks and potatoes. I just put out asparagus for the first time. I have blueberry bushes, strawberries, apple trees, a peach tree, two pecan trees and I'm getting a cherry tree next month.
    I'm also trying to put in more bee friendly plants as I plan to get a hive next summer.
    That's so awesome about the hive! Every gardener loves bees. I had blueberry bushes at my last house, but i'll have to plant more here. My parents have a cherry tree! Their German exchange student planted it before he left. I wish i had room for that many trees!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    i love your spread sheet! so organized. lol, i just read the back, plant, water and hope for the best.
    Hey that's all it takes sometimes!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i always want to have a big veggie garden but then I get overwhelmed and like "I hate the heat I hate the sun I hate bugs I dont want to be out here"

sooo I will probably just do potted stuff again this year that is easy like a bunch of herbs and potatoes in a bucket type thing
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Potatoes in a bucket are great! Once planted, they pretty much just grow themselves. Mint and kale usually resist bugs and high heat pretty well, and are low maintenance. Celery is low maintenance, too.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My vege beds are empty at the moment because Im just waiting for rain to start planting for winter, as the water tank is now empty. We also have apricots, lime, lemon, orange, apple, pear, olives, plums, hazlenuts, macadamia, nectarine, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Sounds great but by the time the kangeroos and possums have been through there is hardly any fruit left for the parrots and fruit fly to finish off.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I live in the country so the deer eat my garden so... I just eat the deer...you know...save a step.

We do grow basil, cilantro and a few other spices on the deck - away from the deer.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have lemons, blueberries, oranges, strawberries, tomatoes, carrots, beets, spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, purple potatoes, white potatoes, shallots, watermelons, edamame, and various herbs this year.

ETA: Forgot about the bell peppers and the anaheim chili. Oops.