how many calories do you eat?

Options
Hello all!

Just wondering how much others out there are eating on a daily basis?

I have based my calories on TDEE. it suggested like 1400 or somewhere around there but I find I feel better at around 1500. Not sure about weight loss yet though! Probably because im still eating over my limit even though my food choices are better than they were even last week! And I am trying to get to the gym at least 3 x week and work my way up to 5/6 days.

I'm 5'2, 128 lbs (small frame so I don't carry weight well). I'm not really concerned about how much I weigh as much as I am trying to become physically fit. I've never been good with consistency. Hoping this time is different!

So am I about where I should be as far as calories go?

Replies

• KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am over 100lbs over weight, and in the week I have been tracking, I am averaging 1200-1400 a day.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about weight lifting?
  • taters22
    taters22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been at 1200 Calories for about a year, but am bad about snacking and not counting...oops. But I dont think I go much over. I am trying to lose weight and get more tone. I am 5'6 130.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    2200-2600 to lose half a Ib a week.
    I am 5'10, 135Ibs.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My goal at TDEE - 20% is right at 1500 a day. I eat that and some of my exercise calories as well if I'm hungry/want something else. I am also small, right a 5 feet 1 inch or so and I weigh 112-115, depending on the week. I am trying to maintain and right now drop a few to have a 'cushion' for my impending honeymoon in July. When you are small, it's amazing how little you need! My diary is open, feel free to check it out. I'm fairly consistent and have logged for almost 2 years not missing a day!
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I maintain at around 2000-2200 per day. (TDEE method) 5'3'', 21 years old, 103 pounds, doing strength training (weight lifting), cardio and HIIT. Was still losing at 1700.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Today will be 3,541 just to maintain. I'm a distance runner. 5' 11'' 147
  • highlanderthedog
    highlanderthedog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and small frame as well. Started tracking MFP at the beginning of March at 125 and am 118.5 right now eating between 1300-1500 calories but indulging in a treat meal/wine once a week usually on a weekend. I work out 5 times a week and try not to eat exercise calories back since I have a high calorie meal during the weekend. My diary is open but if you see a low cal day earlier in the month of March I just slacked on the tracking before I got I to the habit. I have been pretty consistent the last few weeks and my pants are getting looser and today someone at work said I "looked skinny". Very motivating to keep on doing what I am doing.
  • lilbitsc89
    lilbitsc89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have and would like too but don't know where to begin! I am very weak and get intimidated very easily at the gym! so the free weights section freak me out but I try to do the weight machines whenever I go..
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 135 lbs, and I eat about 1300 calories per day. I am sedentary, with plans to start working out as soon as I get a gym membership at a place with child care, at the end of the month. I'll up my calories then.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    2200-2600 to lose half a Ib a week.
    I am 5'10, 135Ibs.

I'm in this range.
  • lilbitsc89
    lilbitsc89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about weight lifting?

I have and would like too but don't know where to begin! I am very weak and get intimidated very easily at the gym! so the free weights section freak me out but I try to do the weight machines whenever I go..
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well it depends... I personally have something lower because it means exceeding still having weight loss. But if you are exercising and really are burning the amount of calories you are deficit then 1500 is something perfectly fine.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Don't allow any of that to get in your way. There are groups on this site for beginning weight lifting for women or you could Google a plan.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Just wondering how much others out there are eating on a daily basis?

I have based my calories on TDEE. it suggested like 1400 or somewhere around there but I find I feel better at around 1500. Not sure about weight loss yet though! Probably because im still eating over my limit even though my food choices are better than they were even last week! And I am trying to get to the gym at least 3 x week and work my way up to 5/6 days.

I'm 5'2, 128 lbs (small frame so I don't carry weight well). I'm not really concerned about how much I weigh as much as I am trying to become physically fit. I've never been good with consistency. Hoping this time is different!

So am I about where I should be as far as calories go?

I just noticed you only have about 9 kilos to lose. Bugger all in my opinion (14kg down 14 to go). Exercising as much as you are and eating at 1500 will lose that before you realize it. If you are worried about exceeding you can lower it to 1400, but you'll get there soon enough either way.
  • TracySinclairWong
    TracySinclairWong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am taking a nutrition class with my friend and this is what I can share with you that may be of help:

* eat 5 times a day NO MATTER WHAT
    * eat when you first wake in the morning
    * eat 2 tbsps of seeds a day (1 tbsp of ground flax + 1 more tbsp of another seed). I grind my own flax.
    * careful, chia is very high in calories. I have hemp
    * do not eat before 2 hours are up between meals, and never wait more than 4 hours between your snacks/meals
    * I eat at 7:30am, 10:00am, noon, 3:00pm, and dinner between 5:00-6:00pm
    * eat protein and fibre (fruits and vegetables) and EVERY snack/meal
    * eat more protein earlier in the day, and less at latter meals/snacks
    * 4oz of protein is 35 grams
    * never eat more than 4 oz of protein at a meal/snack; the body has difficulty digesting more than 4
    * most meat protein follows the above rule of 35grams = 4oz
    * 4 oz of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.
    * keep fruits to breakfast and morning snack because the sugar is high and it gives you the day to burn it off
    * all meals/snacks should never exceed 400 cal (the body cannot process more calories than that easily)
    * all snacks should be at least 100 calories
    * NEVER miss a meal or a snack....there are no excuses since you are worth it
    * when eating nuts in a day, eat only 12 (almonds) not sure for other nuts
    * why eat junk food? Yes, we all love it, but in the end it is all empty calories. Eat for nutrition.
    * sugar is sugar. Google the WHO on their new guidelines. Poor health is directly related to sugar these days.
    * don't eat 3 hours before going to bed. This gives your tummy time to digest the last meal, and then lets you sleep.
    * drink 8 cups of water a day, but ABSOLUTELY have 4 of those glasses BEFORE noon. No excuses!

Ok, that is what I have learned. Hope it helps you.

Tracy
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am taking a nutrition class with my friend and this is what I can share with you that may be of help:

* eat 5 times a day NO MATTER WHAT
    * eat when you first wake in the morning
    * eat 2 tbsps of seeds a day (1 tbsp of ground flax + 1 more tbsp of another seed). I grind my own flax.
    * careful, chia is very high in calories. I have hemp
    * do not eat before 2 hours are up between meals, and never wait more than 4 hours between your snacks/meals
    * I eat at 7:30am, 10:00am, noon, 3:00pm, and dinner between 5:00-6:00pm
    * eat protein and fibre (fruits and vegetables) and EVERY snack/meal
    * eat more protein earlier in the day, and less at latter meals/snacks
    * 4oz of protein is 35 grams
    * never eat more than 4 oz of protein at a meal/snack; the body has difficulty digesting more than 4
    * most meat protein follows the above rule of 35grams = 4oz
    * 4 oz of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.
    * keep fruits to breakfast and morning snack because the sugar is high and it gives you the day to burn it off
    * all meals/snacks should never exceed 400 cal (the body cannot process more calories than that easily)
    * all snacks should be at least 100 calories
    * NEVER miss a meal or a snack....there are no excuses since you are worth it
    * when eating nuts in a day, eat only 12 (almonds) not sure for other nuts
    * why eat junk food? Yes, we all love it, but in the end it is all empty calories. Eat for nutrition.
    * sugar is sugar. Google the WHO on their new guidelines. Poor health is directly related to sugar these days.
    * don't eat 3 hours before going to bed. This gives your tummy time to digest the last meal, and then lets you sleep.
    * drink 8 cups of water a day, but ABSOLUTELY have 4 of those glasses BEFORE noon. No excuses!

Ok, that is what I have learned. Hope it helps you.

Tracy

Is this an April's fools because most of that information is utter nonsense.
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently weigh 218 pounds. I'm on 1,800 calories a day which was supposed to put me at a 1 lb per week loss however I'm looking at more of a 2 lb per week loss. Most days I eat between 1,500 and 1,600 calories. I also work out 4 - 5 days per week.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Last month I averaged about 1800 calories per day, yea yea I know some of you are gonna cry that's not enough but the truth is I'm not starving, I'm losing weight and my Dr. says as long as I feel ok just keep going. I'm 51 and I just don't burn them like a 20 year old, I'm eating decent food and no junk food/fast food and I feel good. Just for the record I'm 6'1 and started out at 326 lbs and right now I'm at 277.
  • Jossies01
    Jossies01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is set at 1200 and I burn between 400 - 1000cals from work outs 5 days a week. I try to eat back all of my exercise calories because I feel too flat if I don't eat back what I burn.