Rowing machine noob

Options
wozkaa
wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
Hoping to hear a bit of advice/experience on using a rowing machine at home.

I've Youtubed to get the correct form, which I am working on maintaining every time I get on the thing, and recall some mention of only a few minutes at a time when starting out.

So, if I did 5 mins 3 times a day on the light resistance setting would that be a good starting point? My other excercise is brisk walks and the exercise bike, so am trying to plan exercise that uses my poor old neglected arms, shoulders and torso.

Cheers.

Replies

• whitelung18
    Options
    I think any amount of time you put in with correct form would be excellent! I constantly catch myself having sloppy posture (not just while rowing, unfortunately), and it really does affect what you're doing. When you feel ready, try to go for a minute or so at a higher resistance to get a grasp of what you're building up to, then lower it as you wish.
  • yuckyellow
    yuckyellow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my rowing machine. You just need to start where you can start. So if it is 5 minutes 3 times a day then start there. Try to extend your time on the machine slowly. Focus on rowing for a longer period of time at a slow pace instead of rowing so fast that you wear yourself out too quickly. Once you feel comfortable rowing, then you can start following a plan. Personally, I have been following "Pete's Beginner Plan". It is popular on the Concept2 forums for newbie rowers. I am up to week 9 of the plan now, and I am seeing excellent results. You can see the plan here...
    http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

Also remember form is very important when rowing!
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback thus far!

I have bookmarked that plan Yuckyellow, thank you.

My greatest fear is overdoing it and crippling myself! I know someone who did that, and ended up in the A&E because they couldn't raise their arms one morning and thought something terrible was happening to them. Funny now, not funny for him at the time - which is why I am starting off so gently. I have twin toddlers to care for, so overdoing it and hurting myself is not really ideal.

The good thing is that they are 12+/- kg each, so picking them up is a workout in itself.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i would search for some rowing machine workouts. they'll have things like intervals, power strokes/rest periods, etc.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Check out the Concept2 website. They have great stuff, from technique to workouts of the day. The forums are pretty good as well; knowledgeable people but not too many posts per day. I'm giving the Pete Plan a shot but I'm only on week 2. One thing I noticed on my last row that helped is keeping my shins perpendicular to the floor at the end of the recovery. Seemed to help me increase my power generation. I'm also going to try to increase the drag factor by moving the damper up a notch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A short session, using good form, is far more beneficial than tiring yourself out and letting your technique get sloppy. Like running, build your training volume gradually; unlike running you can, if you wish, row 7 days a week with very little risk of injury.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    so am trying to plan exercise that uses my poor old neglected arms, shoulders and torso.

Cheers.

Something to note: it is a misconception that rowing is a mostly arm workout. It utilizes your legs, back, and core much more than arms. Not trying to be nitpicky...this is important when it comes to form! When you row you should be pushing off powerfully with your legs, then as your legs are almost fully extended you lean back, and the last piece of the puzzle is your arms bringing the handle towards your chest. Not saying that you will not get an arm workout, but most of the power should not be coming from you pulling with your arms! Hope that is helpful....I rowed for 4 years in college, and it took me quite a while to develop proper form. Good for you for taking the time to learn technique and watch videos...as others have said, it's better to start slow and have great form than to go all out and not be doing it right!

Good luck-rowing is excellent exercise!