How do I crush my plateau?

Options
What are some tips and tricks?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Well you lost a pound 4 days ago, so you're not on a plateau. A plateau is 6 weeks or more of being consistent with calories and exercise and NO weight loss/gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE numbers to make sure you plan is appropriate for you?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Well you lost a pound 4 days ago, so you're not on a plateau. A plateau is 6 weeks or more of being consistent with calories and exercise and NO weight loss/gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^^^^^
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    As others have indicated, if you have recently lost weight, you are not at a plateau; however, when I feel stuck, I usually either exercise a little more and/or eat a little less (within reason) for a few days to shock my system into moving; sometimes we get into our routines and doing different things will cause progress where we have not seen it... Just some ideas.
  • lenchmob
    lenchmob Posts: 49
    Options
    Edit: Ok yes you are right. I didn't read it correctly.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Guys, OP never said he/she was on a plateau.
    He/she is just looking to be educated on the topic.
    The topic title is "How do I crush my plateau?"
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Well then maybe he/she shouldn't have named the topic "How do I crush MY plateau" :ohwell:
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you are deficient in B-12 it can slow down your metabolism, so you could try taking a B-12 supplement or eating foods high in B-12. However eating/taking excessive B-12 will not boost your metabolism.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Crush it by never getting it in the first place.

Take a reasonable deficit from the start.

So many that have had plateaus of weeks to months to a year or more discover that if they added all the time together, and their initial fast weight lost - there overall loss per week is rather minor.

And they likely could have beaten it easily with a reasonable deficit.

Like 100 lbs in 2 years sounds great and reasonable, only about a 1 lb weekly. Until you find out the extreme deficit taken and the initial fast lost, and the resulting no loss or extremely slow loss now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

"how do I crush my plateau?" = educate me on plateaus? Really? English much…?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

"how do I crush my plateau?" = educate me on plateaus? Really? English much…?

The OP must first have a plateau in order to crush her plateau, otherwise she'd be crushing someone else's plateau and that's just plain rude.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Guys, OP never said he/she was on a potato.

"how do I crush my potato?" = educate me on potatos? Really? English much…?

The OP must first have a potato in order to crush her potato, otherwise she'd be crushing someone else's potato and that's just plain rude.

do_the_mashed_potato_by_beatlesbug-d4kytb7.gif
    MommysLittlePiggy.gif
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    Options
    LOL people!!!!!!!!!! The reason why I ask is because my weight has been fluctuating between these two stubborn pounds, how do I get past this?????????
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You have to create a calorie deficiency in order to lose weight. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Some people who are close to their goal weight or only have a little to lose also start strength training.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I went back a month in your diary. There are two days logged and both of those were filled with quick add calories. If you aren't logging your food somewhere, that's where I would start.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Eat less.

/thread
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    LOL people!!!!!!!!!! The reason why I ask is because my weight has been fluctuating between these two stubborn pounds, how do I get past this?????????

Take a diet break, unstress.

Body really doesn't like stress, bad for weight and fat loss.

Why extreme diets usually backfire - extreme stress along with rest of life, body adapts, you are actually eating at maintenance now with no weight loss possible.
    Discouraged, binge or fall off wagon, eat more, fast gain of same or more of what was lost.

Reasonable deficit may be easier. Always better to take reasonable and slow loss with wise purposeful choices, than have your body force it on you by unwise choices.
  • changergirl
    Options
    The only thing that's worked for me is taking a diet break. I've been stuck twice before, both times lasting around 4 weeks and I was weighing everything I was eating. I was doing everything right, eating at a deficit, the scale just wasn't moving. Both were around times I was either going out of town or I had friends visiting me and what I was eating wasn't going to be a huge priority. So for 3 or 4 days I ate without counting anything, at least at maintenance the entire time but probably over. I gained 2-3 pounds right after which I lost within a week and then I went back to losing consistently. It's not going to work for everyone, but it worked for me.
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    Options
    The only thing that's worked for me is taking a diet break. I've been stuck twice before, both times lasting around 4 weeks and I was weighing everything I was eating. I was doing everything right, eating at a deficit, the scale just wasn't moving. Both were around times I was either going out of town or I had friends visiting me and what I was eating wasn't going to be a huge priority. So for 3 or 4 days I ate without counting anything, at least at maintenance the entire time but probably over. I gained 2-3 pounds right after which I lost within a week and then I went back to losing consistently. It's not going to work for everyone, but it worked for me.

I will try to take a break, thanks!