Hungry or Thirsty??

Options
noor_v
noor_v Posts: 133 Member
I've been logging daily for almost 4-weeks now, and this week I am finding it relatively easy to stay within my daily calorie goal. What's really interesting is that I just realized that many times when I thought I was hungry - I wasn't - I was actually thirsty..

I am learning to listen to my body and hopefully that will help me acheive my goals.

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! This applies to emotions, as well. I.e., "I thought I was hungry, but I was actually lonely". Or bored. Or angry. Or any other strong emotion. I always found it fascinating (and frustrating) how so many needs in our lives disguise themselves as hunger. It takes a lot of insight to come to this discovery, so good for you! :)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've also come to the conclusion that I'm really thirsty when I reach for food. Now I reach for water first.
  • noor_v
    Options
    yes... there have been many times when I snack when I was bored... but not anymore... when I'm bored, I log on to MFP and read the various threads - there is so much information here, it's amazing
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have heard this on numerous occasions and I always think it is great. Great on learning your bodies cues.
  • LAPDpoliceNYPD
    LAPDpoliceNYPD Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I :brokenheart: :sad: :cry: remember when this was happing to me
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Try green tea, it fills you up and feels good in the stomach too.
  • noor_v
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! :flowerforyou:

FRs welcome :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! This applies to emotions, as well. I.e., "I thought I was hungry, but I was actually lonely". Or bored. Or angry. Or any other strong emotion. I always found it fascinating (and frustrating) how so many needs in our lives disguise themselves as hunger. It takes a lot of insight to come to this discovery, so good for you! :)

that is my problem, i still haven't figure it out.......
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    This is so true! Today I had a stressful day and immediantly after the stressful event happened, my first thought was, "ohhh I think I will get fast food for dinner"! I immediantly realized that this was due to the stress I had just encountered. My soulution- Instead of getting a huge chesseburger, I got the junior and small fries. I never even used all of my calories today which was good, and My craving was satisfied. Next time though, I would like to figure out a different way to not give into the stress food craving. Maybe If I work out instead that would help.
  • noor_v
    Options
    This is so true! Today I had a stressful day and immediantly after the stressful event happened, my first thought was, "ohhh I think I will get fast food for dinner"! I immediantly realized that this was due to the stress I had just encountered. My soulution- Instead of getting a huge chesseburger, I got the junior and small fries. I never even used all of my calories today which was good, and My craving was satisfied. Next time though, I would like to figure out a different way to not give into the stress food craving. Maybe If I work out instead that would help.

I find that working out helps a great deal with stress... Great job staying under the calories!!!
  • mauribelarmino
    mauribelarmino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made a commitment to drinking a gallon of water a day. Now I have to force myself to eat to meet my minimum calories... Not complaining.
  • xgussie
    xgussie Posts: 7
    Options
    If I think I'm hungry, I've started sipping at water or making a cup of tea. If it ends up I actually am hungry, then I gauge how hungry I am, and either make a meal or grab a snack to tide me over. I also see if distracting myself, or entertaining myself, will help, because most of the time I would eat out of boredom.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hungry=Potatoes
    Thirsty=Potato Vodka ...sooooooooooo
    Potato
  • noor_v
    Options
    Hungry=Potatoes
    Thirsty=Potato Vodka ...sooooooooooo
    Potato

Hahaa.... i love the potato :laugh: :drinker:
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options

I find that working out helps a great deal with stress... Great job staying under the calories!!!
    Thank you Noor_V!
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always notice on days when I don't drink enough water, I go over mt calorie goals. The body tells you when it's thirsty, the mind doesn't always know though, and will try to get the water in any way it can. Such as by food. :tongue: I've been having this problem lately!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    water ,staying occuppied and not letting your emotions get in the way is key *
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Probably one of my biggest hurtles is emotional eating.

Feeling sad = eat
    Feeling anxious = definitely eat
    Feeling angry = eat

It's taken a lot to learn to notice when it's happening and drinking more water has helped more than ANYTHING. Highly recommend. 10/10