How I Met Your Mother Finale...*Spoilers*

Options
P_O_O_P
P_O_O_P Posts: 4,557 Member
What did you think? I'm not sure how I feel. I almost think they just put a twist in there just for the sake of a twist. I guess the only way Barney could still remain Barney is if he got divorced from Robin. But the show is 'How I Met Your Mother' and not 'How I Was Married to Your Mother for a While Until She Died, Then I Went After Aunt Robin.' A little disappointed. How bout you?

Replies

• palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Honestly, even though I found some parts sorta rushed I overall was happy with the ending. I can definitely see why some people were disappointed with it but in the end I was okay with it. I've always been a bigger fan of Ted and Robin over Barney and Robin (as much as I loved them) and I think had Barney and Robin not gotten married, Ted would've never ended up with the mother- he could never get over Robin so when he finally thought she was no longer an option he was able to move on. I was glad Barney had that baby in the end because I think I would've been sad if after everything he just went back to his old ways, as much as I enjoy him, had to settle down in some way sooner or later.
    The only other ending I would've liked would be if Robin and Barney made it work and Ted and the mother lived happily ever after and all that stuff, but I think the fact Robin and Barney didn't work out and the mother died, I wouldn't have wanted Ted or Robin to be alone, plus their group now could stay in touch again without it being so awkward.
    So yeah, on the whole, I'm okay with it :) I would've liked to have gotten to know the mother better as yeah, the show was supposed to be about meeting her so I expected a bit more but I'm kinda glad I didn't know her character better or I might've gotten too attached and been more sad when she died.

Eta* I also think that the fact it was rushed made people feel like Ted just moved right on to Robin when actually it was yeaars later, so I can forgive him for that, if it had been right away it would've been a bit ridiculous.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i think they needed a season 10...
  • azlifah95
    azlifah95 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I really would have liked to see how Marshall got to be in a senate and how awesome Tracy was. Also, I mean she met Ted the day or the day after she broke up in a long relationship with her boyfriend. How did she so easily accept Ted? What happened when Ted decided to stay in Chicago? Did he become a great architect? SO MANY QUESTIONS.
  • rebeccaaa_elizabeth
    rebeccaaa_elizabeth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can accept the ending since I've come to love these characters so much over the years. However... It really did feel rushed to me. To focus the entire last season on Barney & Robin's wedding then have them end up divorced midway through the finale seemed a bit much to me. Even then, I was still okay with how everything was playing out, until the very end when Ted was talking to his kids about "Aunt Robin". I didn't like the way the kids were talking to Ted (maybe it was their "ehh, whatever! Who cares! We love Aunt Robin!" attitude) it just sort of turned me off to the whole thing in that scene. Had they been a little more sincere I think I could've gotten into that scene A LOT more.

Favorite part, without a doubt, Ted & Tracy's conversation under the yellow umbrella at Farhampton. :sad: I loved it!

There are still TONS of questions, like someone else above said. But, overall I thought it was a good farewell to this awesome show.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    My thoughts:

I thought it was packed up way too pretty with a bow on it. Call me crazy, but I liked the STORYLINE better, when Robin was the lonely gal who had fallen out with the group, forever the "bridesmaid" with a sense of longing in her life. I also liked it better thinking that Ted's wife was something fleeting, something wonderful, and something tragic in the end...yet his life and that of his children's was made so much better for it.

To me, the Ted/Robin storyline has been on life support for FAR too long to just say, "Oh, happy ending! They actually get back together years down the road!".

I know this was a sitcom and shouldn't be mistaken for something of heavy drama, but I just would have been more reflective and ultimately happy with a more realistic view of a dead mother and a Robin/Barney/Ted triangle that didn't end up "best" for everyone.

Kinda disappointed. :frown: :ohwell:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched yet (I did see a little) but I've read enough spoilers and I know what happened. I'm disappointed. A friend posted an NPR article about it on FB yesterday that I thought was a great explanation about why the ending spoiled the series. If anyone's interested:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/04/01/297675381/oh-mother-an-awful-end-to-a-long-love-story

(My opinion is Ted and the mother should have lived happily ever after and so should have Barney and Robin. And not because I'm a sappy romantic but because it would be more in keeping with the show. I always thought Ted and Robin were better as friends.)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

I thought it was packed up way too pretty with a bow on it. Call me crazy, but I liked the STORYLINE better, when Robin was the lonely gal who had fallen out with the group, forever the "bridesmaid" with a sense of longing in her life. I also liked it better thinking that Ted's wife was something fleeting, something wonderful, and something tragic in the end...yet his life and that of his children's was made so much better for it.

To me, the Ted/Robin storyline has been on life support for FAR too long to just say, "Oh, happy ending! They actually get back together years down the road!".

Yes. This is almost verbatim a conversation I had with my sister about it.

Kinda disappointed. :frown: :ohwell:

Double yes.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I haven't watched yet (I did see a little) but I've read enough spoilers and I know what happened. I'm disappointed. A friend posted an NPR article about it on FB yesterday that I thought was a great explanation about why the ending spoiled the series. If anyone's interested:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/04/01/297675381/oh-mother-an-awful-end-to-a-long-love-story

(My opinion is Ted and the mother should have lived happily ever after and so should have Barney and Robin. And not because I'm a sappy romantic but because it would be more in keeping with the show. I always thought Ted and Robin were better as friends.)

I agree with your assessment. Here's the problem, they set us up for one thing, and then totally changed it. It's ok, because life is like that. I hated Barney & Robin getting divorced, they'd spent so much time convincing us they were going to work. But it is very believable. Yes it would probably have been a happier ending if Robin & Barney stayed together, the mother never died and lived forever with Ted...but it's not as real.

Part of me wonders if they didn't feel stuck as writers. Remember they had to film the last scene years ago, during the second season. Those kids Bob Saget has been talking to are like 30 years old now. They couldn't change anything they had planned and still use the kids.
    Good point about the kids.

But it isn't so much that I wanted a happy ending as I just thought as far as story goes, it was a better story. If they hadn't put Robin and Barney together to begin with, I wouldn't care if they ended up together. But it just seemed like once they were, it just worked. And Ted ending up with Robin just doesn't work for me.

I'm considering never watching the finale. lol I love that show too much. The finale of Lost ruined the entire series for me. I will never, ever be able to watch any of it again because of that botched ending.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm with you on the ending of HIMYM. It didn't work for me. I suppose if a series is so good and popular, can any ending live up to our expectations? Probably not. In any case, you may want to watch it just to say you did. As far as the Lost finale, I definitely had a different opinion than most. Tons of butthurt by lost of people about that one. There were questions unanswered, but in the end, I liked the Lost finale. Excellent series all the way through. I would go back and watch it again. I know I'll get some hate over that, but that's my opinion.

(Sorry for the derail)

My problem with the Lost finale is that in the final season, they changed the focus and then wrapped up the secondary story while basically ignoring the story they'd been telling for four years before. What I think happened is the writers had absolutely no clue what the island was from the beginning and kind of hoped they'd figure it out along the way, but were never able to. So they shifted focus and dropped the ball. Poor writing is poor writing.

The same writers are working on Once Upon a Time and that show seriously jumped the shark in season 2, so it confirms (to me) my assessment of their extreme lack of talent and even basic ability.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I cried. This will sound crazy, but I almost feel like I know these characters personally. They have such flawed and realistic personalities, and I love that about them. The ending was unexpected, but I think it was true to the setup of the characters' natures and relationships with each other.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Worst ending in television history. Just awful.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I was shocked that "the mother" died! Can Ted ever get a break? Damn! Nice guys finish last. What a shame.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    IMO they would have been better off making the reception a legen, wait for it... dairy and hilarious wedding reception, better showing how the two ended up at the train station at the same time, and ending it with a number exchange or them getting on the train after the umbrella conversation. More of a this is how we met and life goes on approach would have been fine with me. If they REALLY had to, they could have had a narrative during the credits, as done in countless movies, to wrap up the stories of the rest of the gang, and I think it would have been a far more satisfying finale.
  • fierydeluge
    Options
    I'm ok with the ending since that has been the plan of the writers all along. Although it feels like the characters have grown so much that they could have done a better ending without sacrificing the developments the characters have had in the show's long run.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Never watched the show.
    Only the Finale

I felt it was a crappy way to end the story of the mother.....

I am thinking I didn't miss much by never having watched the show.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Never watched the show.
    Only the Finale

I felt it was a crappy way to end the story of the mother.....

I am thinking I didn't miss much by never having watched the show.
    No no! The show is epic! Definitely worth watching, but you have to start from the beginning.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I was shocked that "the mother" died! Can Ted ever get a break? Damn! Nice guys finish last. What a shame.

This is the whole reason I didn't like the ending...sometimes nice guys DO finish last. There is no cosmic karma that says just because you've been unlucky in love so many times, that everything will be perfect in the end. He had his moment(s) in the sun with Tracy, and now has his kids to show for it. Sometimes, that's enough.