Does anyone else have anxiety?

Options
I am diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. I am on two different anti-anxiety medications (I made sure weight-gain wasn't a side effect), but I still struggle with weight loss due to it. I am a stress/emotional eater, so whenever I get anxious I am tend to snack. However, I then feel really guilty about it making my anxiety worse. I can't make my anxiety go away, but any tips to get out of this trap?

Replies

• bunnypanther
    Options
    Having counciling helped me with stress and depression...
  • thatcrazyhorsegirl24
    Options
    I've been seeing a psychologist for a year now. It has helped tremendously with about everything other than food.
  • caffeinatedbookworm
    caffeinatedbookworm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 20 and was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when I was 14 (though I started showing signs at age 10). I have tried several medications, only one of which (celexa) worked initially, but then tapered off and started to cause suicidal thoughts, so I had to go off it. I have been doing CBT therapy for almost a year now. I would highly recommend that. It has helped my anxiety a lot. I wish I had more specific advice, but it honestly took a while for my anxiety to improve, but it is still pretty terrible at times. I have also struggled with the behaviors you outlined, of being too stressed and snacking because of it, and that causing a cycle because it makes your anxiety worse.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have GAD but I refuse to do meds unless absolutely necessary (personal preference and I don't judge others for handling theirs differently). A year of therapy was very helpful for me, and if I feel that I need to return I certainly will.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with anxiety in the past (not currently medicated, but am currently under an enormous load of stress with work), and I have a history with binge eating disorder, so I'm hardwired to eat when stressed or anxious.

What I do now is focus on calories. I don't have have the mental energy or time to be overly worried about macros, though I feel better with balanced meals, so I make an effort there. I follow the calories and stick to it. If I think I need sweets because stress, then I bake low-cal chocolate muffins. I can eat 5 of those for less than a candy-bar, and they are more filling and higher in protein. I'll stock lower calorie, more filling snacks - celery with nut butter instead of goldfish, etc.

But mostly, I have worked hard to get to the point where I acknowledge that the urge to eat is just an urge and that ultimately, I have control. So if I eat something, then I choose to eat it and understand the consequences. Sometimes they are worthwhile, other times, they aren't. If I have a bad day, then the next day, I shake it off and start over. That's the best I can do. Therapy may be helpful for you in this area - or it may not. When you are reaching for food, what are you thinking? Do you feel that eating helps you to control the anxiety?
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My fiance is determinded I'm bipolar. (Honestly I'm starting to believe it....) I know I have panic attacks I have since my early teens. I've noticed since I started this 40 days ago that I eat when I'm upset or bored. I used to have cycles where Id binge eat for a week (all day, every day food was being shoved in my mouth) then I wouldn't eat for days...its a challange at moments. I catch myself looking in the kitchen for food. So I've started to try and do something when I'm bored. Get on here. Play with my daughter, clean is a big one(I have a 2yr old, a fiance, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a snake....I can keep myself busy....my house is always clean but since starting to diet my house is super clean)
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just wanted to add my solidarity, but I don't know how much help I can offer (I struggle with anxiety too). I know that I've been told I need to find ways to 'self soothe', I guess this would apply to you too, to find something soothing/calming that doesn't involve food, like visualisation, mindfulness/meditation, calming/uplifting music, going for a walk, having a bath, having a massage, etc, whatever you think would work for you. It's really hard to break a cycle of food providing comfort as it's a pretty primal thing, but nourishing yourself in other ways is a good place to start.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    About 9 years ago I struggled with major anxiety - I had several panic attacks that sent me to the hospital (seriously thought I was dyeing). It was an extremely hard thing to live with and I know your struggle. Xanax helped me through most days but it made me so unfunctional. I tried a psychologist but it didn't help me personally (I had no underlying issues that led to the anxiety). I then turned to natural herbs, healthier eating and yoga. Those things helped tremendously and my daily anxiety reduced alot but I still had moments where I thought I was going to go absolutely insane. One day I had had ENOUGH. I got on my knees and prayed with all my heart for God to take away my anxiety. I didn't want to live with it anymore (nor did I feel I could live with it anymore) - I asked God to take the feelings away for good - I prayed like never before. I know it may sound totally crazy if you are not a believer but I kid you not, those anxiety feelings nearly disappeared instantly! I never got another panic attack again. And most days (for months and years) I feel ZERO anxiety. Every once in a while I can feel it creeping up and I just pray, take deep yoga breaths, drink chamomile tea, lay down and relax and the feelings disappear.

Best of luck to you. Just know there is possibility to control it and it's not something you have to live with forever. Find what helps you - your religion, meditation, healthy eating, holistic remedies, counselor, yoga, other exercise and focus on healing yourself :)
  • RealityCheck2
    RealityCheck2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I suffer from CPTSD, not anxiety exactly, not depression exactly...

I don't know about you, but weight gain for me, was a way to get an instant hug when I needed one without having to try to rely on those who couldn't be bothered to see my boundaries or requests as "not about them". Asking for a physical display of support became an issue for some of those in my support circles when it became clear they wanted to prove how supportive they could be or were, or were more interested in keeping me in the hug than I was in still needing to be touched "that" much...Problem is, it's a hug that kills me cause I have to lug it around the entire day, all day, and my heart has to do all the extra work just for the five minutes of time that I want that internal emotional cushion to interact with. Secondly, I found that it became a dangerously addictive type of hug, one that could leave me feeling (stuffed) sleepy, helping me to bypass the actual physical work of stressing the muscle to release the physical pain and stress, then relying on my own ability and need to express that release through crying (I did NOT want nor feel safe being that vulnerable), in order to avoid the psychological work of thinking about the problem and finding "real" solutions (a.k.a. new friends, new boundaries with family, new place of employment etcetera) when I was simply overwhelmed and needing a break before I could find the resources to do another "rain dance" with my life.

I've found journaling far more helpful than therapy - therapy was good in helping me stay stuck I found...My therapist was more interested in keeping me a client than in really getting down to brass tacks with me about what and why I was choosing food over companionship.

If you are the kind who is capable of being open minded and re-wording things in your head as you read so that you're not choosing to take offence at others' differences or lack of awareness (or if you have some kind of religious or spiritual beliefs in the first place) I'd recommend Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way" as a guide to follow for getting yourself into some meaningful journaling. Her program is 12 weeks, it took me a couple times to get through it all, has been worth the effort, and has left me with some changes that still surprise me - in positive ways.

I know that my own weight loss has nothing to do with my eating (I control that), it has nothing to do with my genetics (that's an excuse too), and it has nothing to do with medications (I don't take any). For me, my weight issues stem directly from emotional issues with trusting others to respect my boundaries - specifically men. My weight is a way to pretend I have a (male) companion (replacement family member or friend) who is willing to take the time to be a friend only, and not try to sucker his way into more by committing emotional enmeshment or co-dependency or rape. If I just don't go there, they can't use it to blame me for what they do that causes harm, right? *sigh*

I've found a way around that now that involves actual men (OMG, no, SRSLY?) Yep. I've actually managed to find at least two men now, who aren't gay, and yet, don't show any interest in me sexually. These two men work hard (I'm sure) at avoiding letting their eyes go ANYWHERE other than my eyes without first asking or having a valid reason to be elsewhere. They have learned through life experiences that members of the human race respond more positively to eye contact that doesn't have prior knowledge of body contact, when establishing trusting relationships...Neither of them says it in those words, in fact the one has said he's noticed that when women notice men looking that it always relegates those men to a different category, one that sys - you can have sex with me, but IF you do, I'm never going to take you seriously. Second, they're both "Men" who actually respect boundaries and like to know where those are so that they can feel safe and comfortable asking for what they really need too. In fact, they're both huggers, who like to know ahead of time, when to call it good, so we tap out of our hugs (agreed upon beforehand). It's been fantastic, and scary, and liberating, and inspires hope in me (which some days I resent, other days leaves me feeling terrifically enraged at those who have violated my boundaries) - but hey, at least I have people I can trust who are wiling to do the honest work with me now, and I'm getting over my issues in healthy ways.

Maybe your problem has some similarities to my own? As an "emotional eater" what is it you really need (a hug from someone who's not judging some aspect of you as "right/wrong" but instead is simply "being" there at that moment and in connection with you because you need and their grateful to be a part of your life?...), What is it that you're attempting to gain, that you don't feel safe asking for from anyone around you at this time, as a result of not having been able to receive in past in the way(s) you needed to have that need met, that you're using food to compensate for? I find that if I'm not sure what is going on, journaling is a good way to catch myself unawares and sneak up on the answer without realizing that's what I'm doing - I am rather smart, and my brain loves to help me deceive myself ^^ Having to challenge myself to think around the issues with Cameron's Course helped me to short circuit my own so smart brain enough to actually help me find answers. It might work for you as well. *shrug*

Congratulations on your successes so far; may you reach your goals a little more effortlessly each time you stretch outward.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I started having panic attacks in high school and had them off and on for years. I don't have them any more and I attribute it to learning to trust myself, love and accept myself "as is", and no longer viewing the world through a perfectionist lens. Knowing that I am okay, can handle everything that life throws my way, and that I don't have to be perfect to be okay seems to have put my panic attacks into remission. I never took medication but I've had lots of great therapy from an amazing psychologist. My mother and grandmother also had anxiety and panic.....but unfortunately they never got help.

As a side note, my therapist also has a "self compassion" support group for women that I attend and it has enabled me to stop emotionally eating. Self compassion and self acceptance is DIFFICULT to achieve in our culture, but it is possible with the right guidance and makes every aspect of life so much sweeter!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Carry healthy snacks in your bag for when you are out and about.

I find doing something with my hands when I'm not busy at home helps. I play Scrabble (proper board game), knit or paint my nails so I can't eat.

As other people have suggested, do things for yourself that you enjoy that don't involve food or drink.
  • thatcrazyhorsegirl24
    Options
    Part of my problem is I don't think when going to grab food. I know it doesn't control the anxiety it simply postpones it. I get the same affect by doing anything that is distracting. However, my go to is food, even when I'm consciously recognizing this as a bad choice & to do something else.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Just stepping in here to say that not everyone with GAD experiences anxiety attacks aka panic attacks. If I had, I'm sure I would be more open to medication.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    im on lexapro. my stress/anxiety hits me a bit differently than most.

my first attack happened going to a Pitt basketball game (in pittsburgh) and i looked down a road we were on and saw it was about a 200 ft drop (blvd of the allies). i was never more terrified in my life.

then it started happening on my drives of long distance (im about 25 miles outside the city) and if i was going to be stuck in traffic or just driving a distance it would hit me. i would feel like i had to go #2 and it was overwhelming. I have literally pulled off the side of a road and climbed a hill with paper towels. thankfully i never actually had to go. When i explained it to the dr the best i could describe it was, there was a bullet in the chamber but when i tried firing the gun it was a blank.

even to this day i hate driving far distances without knowing of any potential pit stops along the way
  • Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a severe stuttering problem which is a huge red flag for my social anxiety. I've actually just starting seeing a Psychologist about it and keeping a blog.

I feel like overcoming this obstacle is much harder than losing the 200+ lbs that I had to go through......

If anyone needs any support, feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yep. Generalized and Social Anxiety Disorders. Had my first panic attack in kindergarten, could barely hold down a job until I was 23. It's gotten a lotttt better and through a buttload of therapy, baby steps and pushing through horrible situation after horrible situation, I'm completely stable without regular medication - though I do have an active xanax 'script in case of a surprise attack.

Honestly? Running. Running is keeping me stable. The twitchier I get, the more I'm starting to rely on the steady, rhythmic feeling of using my body in a predictable way, and the pain and endorphins crowd everything else out. It sort of turns the volume down inside my head? At least to the point where I can cope.

I was never a stress eater - anxiety sometimes makes it difficult for me to eat for days on end, but if that's an issue, I'd definitely try replacing it with other activities. Maybe decide ahead of time what you are and aren't going to have for the day, pre-log and then put everything else away? Keep your hands busy, and for the love of god, go move around. Run, jog, hike kickbox, anything - it's been the number one biggest factor in learning to manage my anxiety. Can't overstate it enough.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yes a mean woman I refer to as gossipy ho has anxiety she told me so herself. it is unchecked as far as I can see and causes her to irrationally fear six year olds and women an entire six inches shorter than her to the point of launching full scale campaigns against little boys that engage all her skills as an adult and an attorney. it's pepperdine versus a six year old and is shameful.

if you have anxiety get a handle on yours before you become something you don't want to be.
  • KaiserNiner
    KaiserNiner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ... However, I then feel really guilty about it making my anxiety worse. I can't make my anxiety go away, but any tips to get out of this trap?

Don't worry about getting rid of it - anxiety is a totally rational response to the intense and distorted societies we live in :p hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising money is spent solely toward making us worry about particular subjects.

Also I think neuro-linguistic programming can be helpful.

Ride the wave, all things pass.
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've very recently been diagnosed with anxiety and depression issues.

I have often felt down and sad for years but could never quite put my finger on it. But when I started to have anxiety attacks I knew I had to get help. It feels like someone has their hand around my neck and there is a lot of pressure on my chest making it difficult to breathe. I get really tearful and scared and this makes my body start shaking and it just feels awful.

I have managed to visit my GP but am now waiting on a referral appointment to see a clinical psychologist.

A few things I've tried to do to help myself are to go for a daily walk (I try and go a mile), exercise when I can (do what you enjoy, dancing seems to make me feel better - I do this on the Xbox with Dance Central), not count calories (I'm now on MFP to give and receive support and log my activities), keep your hands busy (I have taken up sewing and am working on a little project) and breathing exercises.

People have said to me that although anxiety feels like it is hurting my body it actually won't kill me as it is my mind playing tricks on me. I just have to believe the feelings will ease and pass.
    The best breathing technique someone showed me is 'rectangular breathing' - breathe out for longer than you breathe in.

I hope you find a method that helps you. We will get through it. :smile:
  • Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have so much anxiety. I have a really bad stuttering problem, so anxiety (especially social anxiety) is a pretty big deal for me.....