Can someone check my diary?

Options
I have been doing this for a month. Have lost weight so that is good. My concern is how much of the exercise calories to eat back, if any.

I get the exercise calorie estimate from my fitbit one.

Code for the diary is 11 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jginsurance11

Replies

• Mr_AH
    Mr_AH Posts: 32
    Options
    I believe it is recommended to eat half your exercise calories back.

Having said that, as you are losing weight, maybe keep up with what you are currently doing until you reach a plateau and try changing up things then.
  • MrsSp00ns
    MrsSp00ns Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm far from an expert having just started tracking in the last couple of weeks myself. If you've lost 9lb over a month this seems like a good level of weight loss, so if you are happy and do not feel like eating back all your exercise calories then keep doing what you are doing as you seem to be doing great! If you'd prefer to eat back your exercise calories or a good portion of them, then do you'll still lose weight.

Have you considered upping your protein in your diet? Again, I'm no expert but I've read that consuming your daily allowance of protein may be beneficial with some strength training to reduce muscle loss whilst eating at deficit. I'm sure someone more informed will come along and either agree or disagree.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would suggest if you hit a plateau with your weight loss is to get a food scale, 'cups' measure volume not weight so you could be over/under-estimating your calories currently.

Measuring by weight is much more accurate way to count calories.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Start with eating back half your exercise calories and adjust upward according to what your scale does.
  • wittamama
    wittamama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    looks like you're doing great to me. I think you're allowed to eat all the exercise calories, but I would say it's better not to. I usually do, but I've lost about 20 lbs in two years. Not too great. lol. The most important thing, to me, is stick with it. Just don't let anything stop you, and if you backslide, just get right back on it. Keep up the good work!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    MFP already has a built in deficit and you are meant to eat them back. I eat back 1/2-3/4 of mine and still lose.
    Also I would add more protein and a variety of veggies. Also some fresh fruit.
  • jginsurance11
    jginsurance11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

Another question - I battle sodium daily. My question is, if I was to eat back calories from exercise, MFP raises my calorie limit as I exercise throughout the day....BUT they don't raise the sodium limit. How am I supposed to eat, for example 1970 calories instead of 1670 (my goal) assuming I exercise 300 calories off, but stay under the sodium goal for 1670 calories?

Hope that makes sense. I have terrible OCD, so going over drives me nuts.