drinking coffee

Options
I like drinking coffee in the morning, but wanted to know if it healthier or better to drink black coffee with honey or you can still drink a cup of coffee with milk and at least one tsp of sugar?

Replies

• KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    'Healthier' is a bit of a nebulous term!

Honey is sugar, so yeah you'd be fine adding some cream and table sugar. Just make sure to account for the calories.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    When I started getting back into logging religiously, I decided that my coffee is the one thing I don't and won't compromise on. Some days I find that b/c of the creamer I usually have a lot of calories in the morning, but I just work it in throughout the day by eating a little less or workout more in the evening. I have, however, stopped putting in a packet of sugar with every cup- that was huge for me but now it's normal.

Don't deprive yourself- if you want it, have it just make room for it :drinker:
  • Addictedtodamon
    Options
    thanks I will....I just didnt know wether or not to have that also in my diet. I will just have one cup in the morning and maybe do a little extra workout in the evening
  • MissMonicaC
    MissMonicaC Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my thing. I love it, any time of day, if its cold, if its hot I'll make it up iced coffee. It runs in my veins haha, my family drinks coffee, alot of it.. the way it is. Now I know coffee itself isint actually too good (adrenal glands- fatigue all of that) but I enjoy it. I am trying to cut it down and add more herbal/green teas.. but I still drink it. One of my biggest hurdles is changing what I PUT into my coffees. I used to be a double double, cream and plain ole white sugar, and we all know thats bad. So I preservered and switched all over to stevia ( a certain brand I have has less of the after taste) it was so tough, but I'll say 5-7 days in my taste buds adjusted and I have been off sugar ever since. yay.
  • Addictedtodamon
    Options
    I only add milk and two sugars. But I heard drinking black coffee add with honey is better for you and taste way better. Cold coffee is good too. But I will cut down at least one cup in the morning
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy your coffee with milk and sugar then just make it work into your day. Now I drink a lot of coffee every day, so I switched to a better coffee and drink it black so not to ruin the flavor and don't have to worry about how much I have.

Off to get another cup of coffee .. good luck
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    With respect, I think you're perhaps being a little too pedantic about it seeing as it's 1-3 drinks a day. As long as you're not having a full fat milk latte with a shot of flavouring each time, it's not going to make a huge difference to your day overall.

I drink either black coffee or coffee with low fat milk so I don't have the issue of wanting to sweeten it, granted. Not heard about using honey before, but certainly seems like a great substitute for sugar 'health' wise.

Maybe cut down on the sugar elsewhere in your day so you don't compromise on the coffee you love.

Either way, it's not really about what you can or 'can't' have. It's about balance.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself- if you want it, have it just make room for it :drinker:

^^^^^This.......applies to everything, not just coffee.... :wink:
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee too. I used to just dump creamer and drink away. I could drink an entire pot in the morning before work. That is a ton of wasted calories. Now I have one or two cups am I measure out my creamer. I also use sugar or fat free creamer. I love flavored coffee so I will continue to drink it. I did cut back on how much creamer I put in my coffee but I won't completely stop adding it.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How can you taint coffee by adding to it!!! Plain and unadulterated black coffee is perfecto!

Seriously though. Drink it however, great taste is thee most important bit ;)
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Try using stevia instead of sugar. All the sweetness, none of the calories. Also, a bit of cream/milk in your coffee is not going to do you any harm whatsoever. Ever heard of bulletproof coffee? Google it.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black... because I'd rather eat my calories!

Ultimately it depends on what your thing is... make your calories work for you!
  • FlexinHenrique94
    Options
    Honey is the "healthiest" sugar there is, but try to add sweeteners, like stevia. 0 calories that way.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you add to the coffee (unless of course you are trying to get specific benefits from it) - just make sure you log what you add.

A black coffee with no sugar is about 5 calories. What makes coffee higher in calorie is the extra's you add. If they fit your calorie goal then drink it how you will best enjoy it.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    People like to bash coffee but Coffee alone is NOT unhelathy, but anything we abuse will have bad effects. I use flavored creamer in y coffee but I just don't go overboard with it. I also use powdered cream sometimes and Splenda (I KNOW I KNOW Splenda haters it causes cancer in Rats or termites or whatever you're going to tell me, but I like it anyway :tongue: )

A single cup of coffee contains
    Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
    Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)
    Manganese and Potassium
    Magnesium and Niacin (B3)

Caffeine makes the fat cells break down body fat, releasing them into the blood as free fatty acids and making them available as fuel
    Coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of getting Alzheimer’s . Type II Diabetes, Lower risk of cancer
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I try and do black or with a lil milk during the week and then weekends I use flavored creamer so its like indulgent then :smile:

I also watch for flavored coffee grounds to go on sale and then use that here and there.

As others said above, just make room for it in your calories/plan. I know for me that I should not start my day out with sugar or sweetener in my coffee as it triggers my carb and sugar cravings.