Why am I gaining weight?

Options
Hello, I'm new here on myfitnesspal and am seeking advice. I'm a 19 year old college student also working two jobs. About 2 years ago, I moved out of my parents' home and started college. Long story short, the infamous "freshman 15" turned into a "freshman 30" for me. About 6 months ago, I began my weight loss journey. After 5 months of watching my calorie intake and being on a light workout schedule (little sets of squats and sit ups here and there before bed), I went from 148 lbs to 130 lbs. I am 5'2 so I was happy I was finally back in my healthy weight range. However, at 130, I plateaued. Once I realized that, I began eating clean (I haven't eaten out at all this past month), still monitor my calorie intake (1,200 calorie diet), and now go to the gym 6 days a week. At the gym, I do weight training and cardio. In the past few weeks I started gaining weight. I am now back up to 140 lbs! I just do not understand what is going on. Please help!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The "calories answer" is that you're eating more than you're using.

The "biochemical answer" is that you're retaining fluids from exercise soreness or storing fat due to elevated cortisol from stress etc.

Try to chill out a bit, exercise every other day, open your diary here.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    I would think that your either not eating back your calories from working out (starvation mode), or your gaining muscle. How do your pants fit?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    They say you can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.

Are you weighing your food and logging calories to make sure what you are eating is accurate. If your eating in a deficit you will lose weight.

At least I did even when having bad habits like eating once a day years ago.
  • simplysam6494
    Options
    I make sure to eat back the calories I've burned and I do weigh my food to check for accuracy. 10 pounds seems like a lot of muscle weight in such a short amount of time.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat back the calories I've burned and I do weigh my food to check for accuracy. 10 pounds seems like a lot of muscle weight in such a short amount of time.
    It's not muscle for starters muscle weighs the same as fat it just takes up less room and also a body build on form would be pushing it to gain 1-2 pounds in a month so you definitely haven't gained 10 pounds of muscle

If you're gaining weight you are not eating at a deficit. It's that simple. You may think you are logging perfectly but the chances are you are not unless you are some medical miracle. If you open your diary people can have a look and maybe able to see where your logging is going wrong.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would think that your either not eating back your calories from working out (starvation mode), or your gaining muscle. How do your pants fit?

starvation mode is a myth

and no it's not muscle.
  • Jwold55
    Jwold55 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You could be overestimating your exercise calories, therefore eating more than you should be by eating them back? Just a thought though. Good luck! :)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the overestimating calorie burn. Do you wear a heart rate monitor when you exercise?
  • Jwold55
    Jwold55 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the overestimating calorie burn. Do you wear a heart rate monitor when you exercise?

I see you all over! Friends? I don't have any on here but I see we end up saying the same things often lol.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Chances are you are overestimating what you burn.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I see you all over! Friends? I don't have any on here but I see we end up saying the same things often lol.

Haha, I get bored at work and browse the forums! Definitely friends. :)